“I wish I could have stayed there forever” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travellers Oasis Backpackers

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Ranked #2 of 89 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Stavanger, Norway
“I wish I could have stayed there forever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

There are not enough words to describe this place or the people who work there. I felt right at home the moment I walked through the gate, and I wish I could have stayed there for a very long time.

There is a certain atmosphere there that just makes you relax, and feel right at home. The staff was incredible, especially Mickey and Helen. Even the guests staying there were much more friendly than anywhere else I've stayed. I think we all realised that it was some place special we had found, and the name of the place is so suitable.
Remembering my stay there feels sort of like a dream. Everything was good, and everyone was happy :) Out of all the places I stayed when travelling in Australia, this was definately my favourite.

I loved that there were no bunk-beds, it felt like I had my very own little corner of the room. I also loved how much space there was outside around the pool. It was just a natural space for everyone to sit down and share meals and conversations together.

This is the only place I stayed during my trip where I just wanted to hang around the hostel all day and not do anything. Backpacking is an adventure but it can also be very fast pace. During my stay at Travellers Oasis I did go on adventures, but I also spent large amounts of time just sitting around enjoying the peace and quiet.

If I ever find my way back to Cairns the Travellers Oasis will be my first stop :)
Thanks to everyone (staff and guests) at the Travellers Oasis for making my days in Cairns the best days of my entire trip :D

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Been here three weeks now and this is the best hostel I have ever stayed in, The staff are amazing and go out of their way to help you. I felt welcomed as soon as I arrived and felt like part of the family. The hostel is spotless and the staff do a great job maintaining it. Helen and Rea have made my stay here, Helen can answer any question and Rea is fantastic at entertaining the guests. Will I ever leave?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is probably the best hostel I have ever stayed in!! And I have travelled ALOT. The rooms have single beds (not bunk beds), get cleaned every day and have ample space to store all your stuff. The staff are super friendly and make it a point to know your name. The other travellers are also really friendly. There tends be be alot of solo travellers and slightly older crowd. Everyone's up for a few drinks or having a BBQ at the hostel.
In particular Helen was really helpful - she helped me plan my entire trip down the East Coast!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Rooms are nice and bright, staff is amazingly friendly and helpful and the facilities are fantastic. Everything is super clean and you see staff running around and tidying things up all the time. By far the best hostel we have ever stayed at and Helen at the tour desk is unreal. She is incredible knowledgable and knows the area inside and out. Here boss is super lucky to have staff like her. Thanks so much to Helen and the rest of the staff for making our last week in Australia perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We booked for 12 nights over xmas and new year but after speaking to Helen at reception she helped us book a 5 day road trip and and simply changed our booking to allow us what ever versatility we wanted. Hostel itself was clean, homely and has a great atmosphere created by all the staff. We stayed in a deluxe double which was very comfortable and great value. Compared to Dougies in port douglas, the oasis is like heaven, would stay here again and reccomend it to anybody.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here during Christmas this year and it made our Christmas in Australia special!
The owner came with his wife and two girls with platters full of free food, champagne and beer. All free and delicious :) He made a point of making everyone feel welcome. Helen, the manager is absolutely lovely. One of the friendliest hostel workers i've ever come across, she clearly loves her job and goes out of her way to help everyone, as do the rest of the staff.
It is a great atmosphere with a pool a hammocks and a BBQ for everyone's use.
You have to pay for WIFI and air con but this seems quite normal in Australia.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

This was our first stay in a hostel so were unsure what to expect as we had heard a lot of horror stories (not about this hostel though!).

We got 50% off our airport transfer to the hostel which was good although there were a couple of people on our transfer going to another hostel who had a free transfer! When we arrived the staff were very friendly and showed us around. There was a nice (smallish) pool, barbecue area, plenty of outdoor picnic benches, a couple of washing machines (which washed with cold water so the clothes often came out dirtier than they went in!), plenty of hanging space and two kitchens which had everything you needed to cook with (if it had been washed up which wasn't always the case).

Our room was clean snd spacious but it was hot and humid (this is Cairns!) and the air conditioning was $1 for 3 hours and very old and noisy which was a bit of a surprise. There was a ceiling fan but it just wasn't enough to keep us cool! When we mentioned it to the staff we were just told that they would let the owners know! We also had a fridge freezer in our room which was useful for keeping cold water in!

The toilet and shower were always clean, not far at all from our room and only shared by 4 or 5 rooms so there was never a wait to use them.

We stayed at the hostel for 4 nights and organised day trips to the Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest, and Tully River for white water rafting, all of which the staff were very helpful in organising and booking (at discounted rates).

Wi-fi at the hostel was $5 24 hours which always went from 10am to 10pm which was a bit annoying and seemed expensive at the time but it is an average price and only a handful of hostels provide free wi-fi.

The hostel was in a good location, 15 minutes from the Esplanade and only a few minutes from the local mall which had a Coles for groceries and meat for the barbecue!

The hostel had a friendly, laid back feel about it. We met some friendly people and it was good chatting to them as everyone does the same trips so it is good to give each other advice on which boat to choose for the Barrier Reef or how to see the Daintree Rainforest (we hired a car on the advice of the girl who worked at the hostel and had such a good day).

Definitely a good base if you are staying for a few days in Cairns and plan to do some day trips and the price was reasonable for a private room.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple