“Great staff but hostel was nosiy”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Ranked #1 of 82 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Helen at the front desk was extremely helpful and informative. We stayed in room 2 which is very close to the main gate. Not the best room as we could hear all the footsteps from the stairs above and travelers checking in late or returning late in the evening were very loud from the main gate. Close to other backpacker lodgings and near the main city streets. Across the street from rail station and supermarket. Each room had a ceiling fan and fridge. No free internet.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 9, 2011

I have nothing bad to say about this place. Period.

I'm so glad that this was the first backpackers I stayed in Australia. It's such a nice, cosy and relaxing environment that I really felt so good when I got back there after a long day out or after being away on a 3 day tour. Firstly, the free airport pickup was a great help for people on a budget!

Many thanks go out to John who helped me tremendously with the planning of my Australia trip (Cairns segment). All promises were kept, everything was nicely sorted out when I arrived and I had little to worry about. Helen is also a wonder host in TOB :)

The 12AUD BBQ on that Tuesday is one of my most memorable meals of the whole trip! Croc, emu and roo meat all at once! Not to mention the handy backpacker dinner deals they offer. The kitchens are kept in good condition and are generally clean. I did not use the BBQ grill but many other backpackers used it and it smelt really good!

All is quiet by 10pm. Really peaceful and you get a good night's rest. Cosy bed and sufficient warm stuff are provided to keep us snug through the cool winter night.

Thank you for making the Cairns segment of my trip so delightful :)

Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed in a double room which was very nice and not too expensibe. Just a short walk to the centre, especially during the day when you can walk through the train station. There is a very warm atmosphere in the hostel and the owner is very helpful. He gave us some great tips on things to do in the Tablelands and at the Cape.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Stayed in a single room during my trip through Queensland and it was by far the best hostel on this trip. Extremely clean (never seen a hostel so much cleaner in every respect than my home), nice helpful staff, nice building, fair prices...
Also the location was perfect, close to Cairns Central, but just enough away from the troubles for a good night sleep without noise... On my next trip to Queensland, this hostel is a must!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2011

What a place, this hostel is by far one of the best if not the best!! The staff are welcoming, friendly and extremely helpful. John, Helen and Laura all helped to make our trip to Cairns amazing! The hostel itself is immaculate. There is always somebody keeping the place clean. The rooms are a perfect size and the beds are very comfi!! The common area it superb. It is designed so people mingle together and have a chat. The hostel organises different things during the week to keep you entertained, if you want to take part. We went to the BBQ / Digeridoo competition, it was probably the most fun night ive ever had, gas crack!! Overall, I would highly recommend this hostel and we will certainly be returning at some stage! ; )

Room Tip: Book in advance! popular hostel!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Thanks to John who helped us find somewhere else to stay when the Oasis was full! What a legend! This hostel is clean, cool and cosy! You couldn't ask for more. The rooms are priced well and you will enjoy your stay here. John and Helen in the office have thorough knowledge of the local area and can point you in the right direction on just about anything. If ya looking to chill then this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Single rooms are cool if travelling solo
Reviewed June 4, 2011

Fantastic hostel, great staff, especially John, very helpful and friendly.
Great tour desk there, lots of help with places to go and see. Hot air balloon ride was fab!
Room's are nice, very clean, no bunk beds, yay and my room was quite big with 4 beds.
Hostel located just behind Central shopping centre and is about 10-15 mins to walk to the esplanade.
Only negative thing i have to say is that because it's such a great hostel it's always fully booked and I had to leave for a few nights and go to Dreamtime hostel before coming back for my last night, so i'd recommend booking early to avoid disappointment!
I'd really recommend staying here if your staying in Cairns