“Simply brilliant.”

Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar
Ranked #44 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
“Simply brilliant.”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I arrived in Cairns for the second time during my stay in Cairns. Previously I stopped in a hostel which shall not be named, but it was awful.

As I had stopped in previous Nomads I decided to give this one a go. To put it bluntly, best choice I have made. This hostel is brilliant. I got picked up promptly from the airport and welcomed by a friendly staff member who was more than happy to talk to you. This immediately made me feel welcome.
When I arrived the hostel felt like a holiday resort, not a hostel I am used to stopping in. The reception were very nice and swift.
The hostel rooms are big and spacious, the kitchen is cleaned regularly, as are the bathrooms. The kitchen is big, and has a lot of room to store food. If you don't feel like cooking you can grab a $3 meal, or buy a drink and get a free meal at the onsite bar/restaurant. This meal is big enough and of good quality. The bar is a great place to meet new people. I was watching the Australian Open with new people, which was great.

The pool is massive, far bigger than most pools. It is great for when you want to cool down in the 40+ temps. Also they have a beach volleyball on site, which is fun if you get a group together.

I have read comments about the distance from the city. It is a 30 minute walk, but you can do this along the esplanade which is beautiful. If you don't fancy this they do a free shuttle bus 10:00am to 3:00am. This is pretty much every hour.

To sum up, this hostel is the best in Cairns....and I have been in many of them!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
BryonySumner, General Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Hiya and thanks so much for your great review - it is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you can come back again soon! Happy travels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Finnish first
Charters Towers
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Twin room and en-suite were nothing flash, but at 60$ a night we were not expecting miracles. Staff were patient friendly and helpful. Having to get air con managed through the office was a little annoying, but reasonable given it is a backpackers. Bar and outdoor facilities quite good, would stay there again.

Room Tip: Twin rooms close to the Bar area are not ideal if you want an early night sleep. Windows are not dou...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hello and thanks for your review - it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please come and see us again soon! Happy travels!
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Been there for a week, for the price of $20 or less, the hotel offering good cozy place to stay. Air-con included, clean kitchen and toilets. Great for solo travelers who needs place to stay for a night then up to something awesome during the days. There is also a bar with reasonable prices and nice happy hours offers, which guarantees good times... Love it when drinking beers while listening to others fellow travelers playing musics and having conversations or enjoying these myself...

Room Tip: If you want to stay alone, you can ask for it. They always have available room during non-peak seaso...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hiya and thanks so much for your great review - we are stoked that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back in Cairns again soon! Happy travels
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My stay at Nomads hostel was first class. I have stayed in many hostels around the world and this was my first experience staying in a hostel in Australia and I was certainly not disappointed.

My experience was enjoyable from start to finish, from the moment I was picked up promptly from the airport by a member nomads friendly staff, to my departure, I felt comfortable and relaxed in all areas of the hostel.
The pool and restaurant / bar area was a definite highlight. The relaxed atmosphere and friendly and enthusiastic staff was only rivaled by the wonderful and affordable food that was on offer.
The front desk staff were extremely helpful, knowledgeable and reliable in recommending and booking activities in and around Cairns.

The smooth running of this establishment is a credit to management team that has hit a perfect combination of friendly, well trained staff and well maintained facilities that has resulted in a fantastic place to stay.
All in all my experience was utterly enjoyable and I would recommend nomads hostel to anybody.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
BryonySumner, Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Hi - thanks so much for your kind words you certainly have great taste! We hope to see you back again soon. Happy travels
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

This is the kind of hostel you stay a couple nights and then end up staying for two and a half weeks!!!! The complimentary pickup from the airport is very convenient!!! Even though the staff may all speak different languages and ou may not understand them and vice versa, you get checked in very quick!! Can't forget the $3 meal special EVERY night. Even though its just noodles or rice with curry on it, it's a cheap alternative!!! Spend $5 or more on a drink and you get dinner for free!!! The hostel is a ways from the esplanade but the complimentary shuttle service into town almost every hour from 10 am to 3 am is awesome!!! And they always pick you up in the same spot other than nighttime drop off and pick ups!!! The staff are amazing and very friendly!!! They have organized group activities EVERY night!!! Bingo, PubQuiz, pool contests, and some others!!! I talked to some people who didn't have air conditioning in their rooms which I didn't have either so that would be one thing they could improve. I didn't let it spoil my trip though!!!

• Stayed October 2012
BryonySumner, Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Hello - thanks for the review we are so happy to hear that you had a great stay - we have just invested in a full overhaul of our aircon system to ensure there are no further problems. We hope to see you again in 2013.
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

The location is so bad and you can get hostels in the centrum city for the same price!
The hostel was in so bad conditions and the rooms were smelling and dirty and the bathrooms looked like they were build in 1920!
The boss were so arrogant!
Horrible place and would never go there again!!

• Stayed January 2013
Hello - thanks for the feedback although we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Our hostel is quite modern - being built less than 10 years ago so I do not understand your bathroom comments. Also our management team are a super friendly bunch so I am not sure who you found to be arrogant - without more details it is difficult to comment but if you could message me with more information I would be very happy to address this. Also we pride ourselves on our level of cleanliness and have a full team of cleaners on duty from 6.30am - 8.30pm - our guest rooms are of a very high quality and do not smell unless the guests in the room forget to wash their socks! We look forward to hearing from you with more details and we wish you all the best for your future travels.

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed with my children and It was great lovely walk into town with children each morning and knowing we could be picked up every hour to come back was good on the bus. Kids loved the pool area and the large wooden block game. Right near pirate park botanical gardens. Staff were very happy go chatty especially patient with the children's questions.
Everything was clean and tidy. Food was good in the bar/restaurant meals fed the family well.
We had a great time and once the rest of our group arrived it got even better.

Only downer was some of the other backpackers attitudes about cleaning up in the self cook kitchen. Come on people respect common areas we are all out for a fun time and don't want to get ill from your untidy food prep and cleanliness.

Would def recommend

• Stayed December 2012
Hi and thanks for the review - please come back and see us again soon!