“noisy place, not worth it for the price”

Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar
Ranked #33 of 83 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We could not sleep all night, as there were people screaming and laughing in the main area in the middle of the night. For the $ they ask, I would find better place next time.

To turn air-conditioner on you need to talk to someone at the reception, but it was closed by the time we got back to the room, so it was rather hot night.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
BryonySumner, General Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Hello and thanks for your review - we are sorry that the guests were noisy the night you stayed - as we are mainly a backpackers we do attract younger guests who quite often like to party! We do hire a night warden and bus driver who is there to control noise and also to help guests after reception is closed - he can be contacted all night on the hostel phone to turn aircons on or off or to assist guests in any requirments - we are sorry you were not aware of this. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

When i booked this footy trip chose nomads serpant cairns because of the cheap accomodation, when we arrived the look on all the boys faces including mine said it all, this was tenfold morethan we had expected, friendly staff, bar by the pool cheap and great tasting meals and not to mention a beach volleyball court. We had originally planned to drink at pubs each day but the facilities here allowed us to stick together and have a great time. Their friendly staff also organised tours etc for us, including fishing trips and diving at the great barrier reef. Some of the blokes on this trip have been on over 20 footy trips and have said this is the best yet! So football trip organisers, make this your next destination. Cheers Nomads Serpant Cairns, Brad Johnson , Nangiloc Football Club

• Stayed: September 2012

Hello and thanks for the review - we think you and your team are fantastic too and can't wait to see you all again next year! Good luck for next season.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

What can i say apart from one staff member these are the rudest most miserable people i have seen in a customer service role. Me and my boyfriend had a reservation, got to the desk gave our name and stood in silence why some american or canadian girl checked us in with no explanation as to what she was doing. A second (northern english) girl came along to help out, more depressed than her and with a stinking attitude. Life can't be that bad, can it????
The room was joke. Broken Air con and a dodgy light switch. We had to use a stick to turn the light on. Also this place is right near the airport so the planes fly low are this area. Saying that they did free breakfast and a good pub quiz ran by some english dude who was actually friendly chatty and happy.
Stayed in Nomads before in New Zealand and forgot that this is also a place for very young backpackers.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bionicallah
BryonySumner, General Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Hello - thanks for taking the time to leave us a review - when I first saw it I was stoked that the title was 'typical Nomads' as Nomads hostels are renowned for being the best in the world! If you read our other reviews 95% of people are happy with the resort - I am sorry that this was not the case for you. We have lots of new staff training at the moment so I do apologise that you felt our customer service was not A1. I am a little confused as to whether it was this hostel you stayed at though as we have no Americans or Canadians working here and the lad who does the quiz in our bar is as Aussie as they come.
If there were problems with the room did you report this to reception? I can find no record of any complaints of broken lights or aircon. We have a full time maintenance man to tackle any issues and make sure that the place is ship shape.
We also cater for all ages - currently we have families with kids staying and octogenarians - as well as lots of young backpackers. Due to our location and facilities we offer a fun, clean and friendly environment to suit lots of different tastes. Sorry again that you were not happy and we wish you all the best for the rest of your travels.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

we had a really great stay - ended up staying for 2 weeks as it was a perfect base for the area.- staff perfect and they helped arrange all our excursions at the cheapest prices around. clean and friendly with good food in relaxed bar area- great lifts into town. loved it

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Hiya and thanks for the lovely review - please come back and see us again soon!!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

This place is awesome to say the least. Went to Nomads for an End of Season Soccer Trip. Staff were friendly and very willing to accommodate for our large group with drink specials and advice on places to go to eat & drink. Very relaxed mood with great outdoor facilities in beach vollyball, pool & ping pong tables. This place has its own bar with very good drink & meal prices. Rooms and communal bathrooms were exceptionally clean & shuttle services offered every hour to transport the 5 min ride. Overall a great experience & can't wait till next September to get back to the Nomads Serpent backpackers for another long weekend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Hiya - thanks so much for the review we loved having you boys stay here and you were true gents! Good luck with next season and we can't wait to see you for next year's celebrations.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights at the start of our East Coat tour. It was disgusting. Worst hostel we had stayed in. Our room was messy, dirty and had a cockroach in it. The beds were very high without bars to stop you falling out. The mattresses were filthy. On our second night one man actually fell through his bunk onto the poor boy below.

Location is quite for out of Cairns center.

Would NOT recommend

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Hello thanks for the review. We do appreciate any feedback as it helps us to improve our service. All our beds have safety rails on the top bunk to protect our guests and I am not sure how someone 'fell through' a bunk - this was certainly not reported to management at the time. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels

Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I booked an 8 share dorm for two nights, I arived at 10pm and was checked in by an Irish lad, he was helpfull and friendly. He told me that I have been upgraded to a 6 share room free of charge, this was a nice gesture but I wanted to be in a large dorm to meet lots of new people. I asked if I could go back to an 8 share, he told me there was none available tonight but I could come down in the morning to see if I could move for my second night.
The following morning I came down at 10am, there was a dark haired English girl on reception, there was three people in front of me so I stood and waited. While I was waiting she was practically shouting at a young Chinese girl, the poor girl was having trouble understanding and did not know what to do. By now a few more people had joined the line. A middle aged ginger woman appeared from a back area of reception, instead of helping with the Chinese girl or the rest of the line, she was stood playing with a dog! After waiting 20 minutes I gave up waiting and walked away.
The communal showers and toilets were disgusting! Are they cleaned at least once a day? I also had a $3 evening meal which was a small bowl of dry pasta with hardly any sauce on. Breakfast was a slice of warm bread and a cup Of tea. As well as being located at a 40 minute walk out of town. This is easily one of my worst experiences in Australia!!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Darlolad1410
BryonySumner, General Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Hi Darlolad - thanks for taking the time to review our hostel I am genuinely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and that the free upgrade was unappreciated - we do lots of things to help guests make friends and meet people - for example every Monday there is a free guided rainforest walk with free BBQ lunch afterwards. We then have free pool in the bar all day and a killer pool comp at night. We have a free shopping trip to the DFO every Wednesday followed by Cairns' most awesome pub crawl. We have a big soccer game every Saturday that everyone is welcome to come along to - either to play or watch. We do loads more and find that people soon feel welcome and find new friends. We had not considered that upgrading people could make anyone feel isolated so we thank you for bringing this to our attention and will always make sure people are happy with the free upgrades.
Not wanting to offend any of my fellow countrymen it is an unfortunate cultural habit of English people when not being understood to say the exact same thing repeatedly at increasing volumes. We have fought with this instinct for generations yet have little control when faced with someone who we cannot help understand us. I can assure you that there was no rudeness or arrogance meant by the receptionist.
10am is always the busiest time on reception as that is checkout time and I am sorry that you had to wait. I am the middle aged ginger woman who you referred to and I apologise that I did not help to serve you. As you have exaggerated my age so much and the time to walk into town (25 mins maximum if you slow walk - 2.5km) I am also confident that the waiting time, the standard of the food and the condition of the bathrooms also tended on the side of hyperbole - but again we do appreciate the feedback so we can endeavour to do better in the future. The bathrooms get cleaned 3 times a day and we take great pride in our resort so I will definitely follow this up. Good luck with the rest of your travels.