“backpackers this perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 89 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Hexham, England, United Kingdom
“backpackers this perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

we had a really great stay - ended up staying for 2 weeks as it was a perfect base for the area.- staff perfect and they helped arrange all our excursions at the cheapest prices around. clean and friendly with good food in relaxed bar area- great lifts into town. loved it

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BryonySumner, General Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hiya and thanks for the lovely review - please come back and see us again soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Finnish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

This place is awesome to say the least. Went to Nomads for an End of Season Soccer Trip. Staff were friendly and very willing to accommodate for our large group with drink specials and advice on places to go to eat & drink. Very relaxed mood with great outdoor facilities in beach vollyball, pool & ping pong tables. This place has its own bar with very good drink & meal prices. Rooms and communal bathrooms were exceptionally clean & shuttle services offered every hour to transport the 5 min ride. Overall a great experience & can't wait till next September to get back to the Nomads Serpent backpackers for another long weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hiya - thanks so much for the review we loved having you boys stay here and you were true gents! Good luck with next season and we can't wait to see you for next year's celebrations.
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights at the start of our East Coat tour. It was disgusting. Worst hostel we had stayed in. Our room was messy, dirty and had a cockroach in it. The beds were very high without bars to stop you falling out. The mattresses were filthy. On our second night one man actually fell through his bunk onto the poor boy below.

Location is quite for out of Cairns center.

Would NOT recommend

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BryonySumner, General Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hello thanks for the review. We do appreciate any feedback as it helps us to improve our service. All our beds have safety rails on the top bunk to protect our guests and I am not sure how someone 'fell through' a bunk - this was certainly not reported to management at the time. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I booked an 8 share dorm for two nights, I arived at 10pm and was checked in by an Irish lad, he was helpfull and friendly. He told me that I have been upgraded to a 6 share room free of charge, this was a nice gesture but I wanted to be in a large dorm to meet lots of new people. I asked if I could go back to an 8 share, he told me there was none available tonight but I could come down in the morning to see if I could move for my second night.
The following morning I came down at 10am, there was a dark haired English girl on reception, there was three people in front of me so I stood and waited. While I was waiting she was practically shouting at a young Chinese girl, the poor girl was having trouble understanding and did not know what to do. By now a few more people had joined the line. A middle aged ginger woman appeared from a back area of reception, instead of helping with the Chinese girl or the rest of the line, she was stood playing with a dog! After waiting 20 minutes I gave up waiting and walked away.
The communal showers and toilets were disgusting! Are they cleaned at least once a day? I also had a $3 evening meal which was a small bowl of dry pasta with hardly any sauce on. Breakfast was a slice of warm bread and a cup Of tea. As well as being located at a 40 minute walk out of town. This is easily one of my worst experiences in Australia!!

2 Thank Darlolad1410
BryonySumner, General Manager at Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Hi Darlolad - thanks for taking the time to review our hostel I am genuinely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and that the free upgrade was unappreciated - we do lots of things to help guests make friends and meet people - for example every Monday there is a free guided rainforest walk with free BBQ lunch afterwards. We then have free pool in the bar all day and a killer pool comp at night. We have a free shopping trip to the DFO every Wednesday followed by Cairns' most awesome pub crawl. We have a big soccer game every Saturday that everyone is welcome to come along to - either to play or watch. We do loads more and find that people soon feel welcome and find new friends. We had not considered that upgrading people could make anyone feel isolated so we thank you for bringing this to our attention and will always make sure people are happy with the free upgrades.
Not wanting to offend any of my fellow countrymen it is an unfortunate cultural habit of English people when not being understood to say the exact same thing repeatedly at increasing volumes. We have fought with this instinct for generations yet have little control when faced with someone who we cannot help understand us. I can assure you that there was no rudeness or arrogance meant by the receptionist.
10am is always the busiest time on reception as that is checkout time and I am sorry that you had to wait. I am the middle aged ginger woman who you referred to and I apologise that I did not help to serve you. As you have exaggerated my age so much and the time to walk into town (25 mins maximum if you slow walk - 2.5km) I am also confident that the waiting time, the standard of the food and the condition of the bathrooms also tended on the side of hyperbole - but again we do appreciate the feedback so we can endeavour to do better in the future. The bathrooms get cleaned 3 times a day and we take great pride in our resort so I will definitely follow this up. Good luck with the rest of your travels.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

One of the nicer hostels we've stayed in so far on our backpacker adventure. Really good price for us both which may be due to the distance from city centre however a free shuttle that runs every hour from the city makes the distance irrelevant. If you do choose to walk into town you can walk along the esplanade the whole way so it's a win win situation. Clean rooms and facilities with friendly staff. A travel desk and small shop are also bonuses.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hiya Jack - thanks a million for leaving us a review it means a lot to hear that you enjoyed the hostel and facilities and that everyone was friendly to you. We hope to see you in Cairns again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

This was the first time we stayed here and we loved it!
The rooms were clean and spacious, the atmosphere is great and the meals are cheap and yum!!
There's a shuttle bus rubbing every hour until 3am in the morning so even though it is a little way out of town you can just catch the shuttle!
We only had one small problem which the staff handled extremely well as it was very busy and they still managed to please everyone. I would definitely recommend this to people!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi - thanks so much for leaving us a review - we are super happy to hear that you had such a good time - please come back and see us again soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

A lively and friendly enough place. Was a bit out of the road front Cairns town center however the hostel did provide a regular round trip bus service free of charge. The walk on the esplanade from just outside the hostel is beautiful. The hostel had great facilities such as swimming pool, bar restaurant, volley ball, table tennis etc. Internet usage was expensive. The mens toilets on the top floor looked clean but smelt absolutely terrible. Staff were very helpful. Kitchen fridges smelt terrible but other kitchen facilities were grand. Good atmosphere. All in all, good value for money!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Hiya and thanks for the review - we are in the process of changing of internet charges and this is due to customer feedback so we do appreciate and listen to what you guys tell us. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels and come back and see us again when you're next in Cairns.