Cairns Aquarius
  • Restaurant
Average 3/5
Average 3/5
  • Pool
All reviewspremium apartmentapartment buildingapartment numberspacious sizelarge balconypermanent residentsboth bedroomsequipped kitchenself contained apartmentall mod consthese apartmentsexcellent locationliving roomrestaurant stripnice apartmentcheck in was easyfree wifi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My young family and I loved our first trip to Australia, we had heard much about how beautiful Australia was and we were mesmerized by it's beauty. We enjoyed 2 wonderful weeks in Cairns, Queensland at the Cairns Aquarius. Undoubtedly the best holiday apartments I have ever stayed in, the kids enjoyed time in the pool and having fun on the lawn just of our porch. My wife and I relaxed and watched a cruise liner pull into port. Our apartment number 3, was sublimely finished with all of the modern accessories you would expect, WiFi internet, air-conditioning and modern appliances. When our 2 weeks were over we just wanted to stay in this beautiful country and the lovely apartment.

Room Tip: Apartment 3 was a great choice made by the managers as the kids had good access to the pools and we could watch them as they played.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
cairnsaquarius1, General Manager at Cairns Aquarius, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Alexander M, thank you so much for your wonderful review.
We well remember you and your beautiful family and how much your children enjoyed the pool.
We agree, easy access to the garden play area and beautiful pool make apartment 3 ideal for families with young children.
Not sure if you are back home as yet, but we wish you a safe and happy journey. We look forward to seeing you return to Cairns Aquarius.
Best regards Annette and Don.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I were so impressed with these holiday apartments we have booked for next year. My children loved it, as they had a choice of 2 pools and the Esplanade lagoon and kids water park just down the road. The apartment was in impeccable condition and the service was fantastic. The Aquarius is in a great location in the heart of Cairns, close to restaurants and shopping. we loved every minute of it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
cairnsaquarius1, General Manager at Cairns Aquarius, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Thank you Nico 1 for taking the time to send in a Trip Advisor review.

My wife and I work extremely hard to ensure that all guests enjoy their stay at Cairns Aquarius. It is very rewarding and motivating to know that it is appreciated.

Your summary of Cairns Aquarius is spot on. The rooms are large and comfortable and the location and views are unequalled in Cairns.

We look forward to having you stay in the hopefully not too distant future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 18, 2012

If you get room 24.... you have been ripped

I had booked for this resort from 02 Oct till 07 Oct 2012 based on the reviews i saw at trip advisor and the web site of the apartments.before making the booking I gave an email seeking confirmation regarding rooms being sea facing and with balcony and was confirmed the same but it was far from the truth.

On our arrival at cairns we followed the same check in procedure as explained in our booking letter.and that was no issue . But there in the problems started
The letter said your parking is the same as your apartment number.when I went to park I found my parking was already occupied.so now what do you do.....you park in someone else's space go to your room and ask the caretakers ..for a spot.....one of the dis advantages of self check in.self check in is good if things are checked in advance and in place.this was after I had sent a mail a day before to reconfirmed my bookings....and also telling an approx time of us arriving in the evening......the point is if you say free parking and you say that the park in the bay as your room number...then I guess it must be ensured that the services as written must be in place....however I can take this to be a minor incident and true to the way the apartments are done up ....you cannot entirely blame it on the care takers......

But where I say the unprofessionalism and false information comes in was when we came to our room.the hotel web site, trip advisor web site says....sea facing apartments with balcony...
"Panoramic Ocean Views
Spacious, private balcony
Outdoor setting for balcony dining"
These are the exact wordings from the web site
But when we got to our room...the balcony was one small feet of extension...see attached photograph. Now I had read trip advisor reviews earlier in one of which the caretakers had mentioned....that if you are in satisfied please call us and we will show you a better one.....so that is what I did exactly...picked up the phone and spoke to Anne

When I told her about the balcony...she said unfortunately that's apartment is like that...after a bit more of discussion she said she could get me to another room the next day....I said ok let me discuss it with my wife.....

Now comes my second point
There was no air conditioning in the master bedroom....
"Designer Master Bedroom
Split system air conditioning"
These are the original web site wordings only
Now in the master bedroom there was no air conditioning....the logic given that a single air conditioner in the living room will some how cool the master bedroom...just keep the doors open

Well if this was some other down trodden low budget hotel...I could have accepted it..but it was number 3 on trip advisor list and the web site boasts of facilities as I have mentioned.....I had booked the apartment based on the wordings and pictures and too an extent reviews on trip advisor....but the services provided..were not as those mentioned on the web sites.
Our booking confirmation said "........large ocean view apartment with large balcony" exact wordings from booking confirmation letter.so please photograph attached to decide if that's what is called a large balcony.

Ok now the third bit...10 minutes after we had rung up Anne . We get a knock on the door....and this gentleman standing there tells us ....well listen this is the only room I got and I can't move you to the other room as promised as we got other bookings.when I told him that this room was not as per what the web site promised.he said well this is the only room ....people have been staying here earlier...and that's how it's gonna be. A total ...to hell with you attitude...I couldn't care less.... When I told him about the air conditioning...he said well that's how this apartment has been...

Well really put me off was the attitude...it looked that by giving us a room...he had done a big favour for to us....after a few minutes of discussion he said well if you want you can leave and I'll give you a full refund. And I will also grant it that he said i ll give you a dollar 30 discount for the room.

Now my point is that I was not there trying to get a discount and neither was I looking for cheap accomodation. I had planned my trip well in advance did all the bookings and the planning...confirmed and recon firmed ...then I should have been provided the services as mentioned on the web site.if a particular service was not available it should have been told to us at the time of the booking or the web site should amend its wording that not all rooms have a balcony. Give us the correct information.
I had made my booking thinking all rooms have large balcony s and the master bedroom has an air conditioner. And this was what was mentioned on he review.
Well if you see the photographs attached this was not the case.well I don't care if I was offered a free refund.....it was school holidays...where n the world would I have got a similar type of ocean facing room with balcony at the last moment and that's what is unfair and unprofessional. By giving me a full refund did not solve my problem. In any case the attitude and the appalling behaviour still convinced me that staying here was not an option even at 30 dollar discount. We decided to move out immediately...and take our chances on the street of cairns hoping we would find better attitude.

This review is absolutely correct and I am happy to reply to any of the comments which I have put up on top.because I am sure this is how it happened.if the caretaker has any issue....lets see them following this up. but i doubt it that they can.....
Well the apartment which I was allotted was number 24...
So people beware ....they will not tell you in advance which room you are getting and if you get number 24 you get ripped for your money..

This was not the cairns vacation start I was looking for...and this apartment does not deserve to be number 3/4 on trip advisor...I wish i could give this one a zero

Room Tip: well you have to speak to them in advance about the room they are giving...dont go by reviews all rooms are not the same large balcony not always there sleep in room 24 if you can live in cairns without an air conditioner
8  Thank rajdeep_rds
cairnsaquarius1, General Manager at Cairns Aquarius, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Rajdeep, booked a standard apartment on our website. That is precisely what he got. The apartment is large, comfortable and has outstanding ocean views. Apartment 24 is infact a frequently requested apartment and very popular with families.
If there had been another apartment available we would gladly have moved Rajdeep and his family. Unfortunately we were fully booked so that was not possible. We offered a full refund and they opted for that.

There are several very positive reviews on Trip Advisor from families who stayed in 24 and thought it was perfect.

Don Tidswell

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have stayed at the Cairns Aquarius twice now, and both times have been so enjoyable and relaxing. I love how you can stand on your verandah and see the whole of the Cairns Esplanande.
Being right on the Esplanade allowed my family and I to easily stroll into the action that Cairns offers. We swam at the lagoon and ate at restaurants, and played on the esplanade parks without even hopping in the car. The accommodation was spacious, and clean, and the kids loved the big screen TV, pool and tennis courts. I think this accommodation is perfect for families or couples, I definitely recommend Cairns Aquarius and I can't wait to visit there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzy G

Thank you Suzy for taking the time to submit a Trip Advisor review.

Suzy is a very gifted and recognised West Australian artist who frequently visits Cairns to paint really lovely landscapes. We thank you for your kind coments and hope you will stay again at Cairns Aquarius if you return to Cairns.

Love your paintings.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We recently stayed at the Cairns Aquarius whilst in Cairns attending a family wedding. There were several memebers of our family staying so we booked a total of 3 apartments. All of the apartments were very spacious and well appointed with all you could need for a family holiday. 2 of the apartments were standard and one was a premium. The standard apartments were very comfortable and suited our needs with all the appliances and facilities one needs for a home away from home feel. The premium apartment was lovely, a little bigger, modern furnishings, and with the addition of a spa in the main bathroom. If you are looking to treat yourself and enjoy that extra touch of luxury the premium apartment is the way to go, however the standards were more than adequate.
The location is perfect! In the middle of the esplanade with many restaurants, and attractions only a short walk away, yet not too close to the action that you get all the noise.
The grounds are lovely with beautiful gardens, 2 swimming pools, BBQ facilities and a tennis court.

The only 2 minor negatives we experienced were:
The bed in our apartment was a double and was quite hard and uncomfortable. The size of the room could easily accommodate a queen or even king size bed.
There were rennovations being undertaken in one of the apartments on the level above us which created a great deal of noise. This was not a large concern as we were out and about most of the time anyway.

Overall a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in apartment 22. Other members of our family had apartment 61 which was the better of the 2 standard rooms.
1  Thank Fiona W

Thank you Fiona for taking the time to review your families stay at Cairns Aquarius. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to seeing you all back again one day.