“Terrible - Dirty and not pleasant”

Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed at this resort as we were guests of a wedding being held here. We booked to stay for the convenience and reasonable price. I was initially shocked to hear that many of the other guests had booked accommodation at surrounding hotel until we checked in.

Being a Priority Guest with Rydges which has the function of online check in to reduce time at check in, I was disappointed to have to wait 15 minutes before anyone on the front desks decided to help me. (defeating the purpose of express check in)

We finally got to our room which was suppose to be a deluxe ocean view room...... there was nothing deluxe about it.

The room was dirty and air conditioning did not work at all. With the airconditioning on it was actually hotter than the temperature outside. We had to sleep with with balcony door open just to keep the room cool.

The room was riddled with dust and carpet was full of stains.

The breakfast was quiet nice and the staff in the restaurant was alot more customer service minded than the front desk.

RECOMMENDATION: Having visited Cairns on numerous occasions there are plenty more accommodation options that are better value for money and of better quality. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ozzie_holidayer
KellieCairns, Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2010

As a Rydges Priorty Guest Member there is a great benefit to the online check in process and I sincerely apologise you had to wait on arrival, I have discussed this further with our Front Office Manager. I was extremely disappointed to read that you found your room to be dusty and issues with the air-conditioning, there is no excuse for dust and my Executive Housekeeper has addressed this with his team and in regards to the carpets we are currently working through a steam cleaning programme. Thank you for your feedback and terrific to hear you enjoyed our Buffet Breakfast.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns

Reviewed July 26, 2010

We Stayed in the Hotel on 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th of July,2010. We checked in at the htoel at midnight. We were asked to give the credit card for registration , althouh the room rent . were prepaid. We were given ocean view room with balcony. the room was neat and clean but with old carpet.

The hotel is near to shopping area nearly 5 minutes walk. The restaurent was nice having variety of food. THE BREAKFAST ALSO WAS NICE AND FULL OF VAREITY. IN ALL WE ENJOYED OUR STAY. HOWEVER THE INTERNET SERVICE WAS NOT FREE.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank YPAL
KellieCairns, Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2010

Terrific to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I have passed your feedback on to the team and we are working through a steam cleaning programme for our carpets. The location of the hotel is a perfect base to explore Cairns and our Ocean view rooms a favourite with many. The Breakfast buffet is very popular as is our Fire & Ice Seafood Buffet of an evening, our chef’s love cooking food to order in the Restaurant. Our internet service is outsourced and if you join our Rydges Priority Guest programme you receive 50% off.

Reviewed July 5, 2010

We got a good deal on this hotel and overall it was ok - for one or two nights. Service was great, reception, bar and restaurant area very nice, but our room was badly in need of an update, as was the bathroom, decor and wear and tear gave you that unclean feeling.
A wee walk into the main centre but quite pleasant, although would not want to do it in summer!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
KellieCairns, Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2010

Wonderful to hear you enjoyed your brief stay with us. Like yourself many of our guests enjoy the walk into the city centre along the Boardwalk, it is very convenient and a lovely way to see Cairns. We also operate a complimentary shuttle which runs 3 times per day for those that do not wish to walk.

Reviewed July 2, 2010

I had already booked 3 nights at rydges when I found these reviews and was extremely nervous, however, it was lovely- except for one small thing which I will get to. The room was clean and had a great view- we really hated to leave. The reception staff were wonderful - warm and helpful. The location was great as we didnt mind the walk to the main centre and there was the best kids park that I have ever been to along the way. (right along the water front- you cant miss it)
As soon as we arrived after a long day of kids on planes etc, we excitedly dumped our bags and went to the buffet dinner. The two girls who greeted us in the restaurant were so cold and unwelcoming I thought that we must have arrived just as it was closing or it was full. They led us to a table with such reluctance, I felt like I had disturbed them. But the restaurant wasnt even half full and there was still over an hour to go before it closed. Fortunately for us, a delightful waitress named Clare really saved the night for us. We went back again and to our relief she was there again. I recommend that if anyone goes to the restaurant, they ask for Clare personally because she did everthing she could to make our dinner a great experience. If it werent for her, I think the attitude of the others would have left such a bad impression, I would have found it hard to warm up to the rest of the resort. One last thing- the pool was FREEZING ! But I really want to stress that overall I thought this was a wonderful place to stay especially at $99 a night.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Like yourself many of our guests do want to stay longer. Thank you for you taking the time to write about your stay and terrific to hear we lived up to your expectations and calmed the nerves, we have also now heated one of our three pools. The Resort’s location is very convenient and to be able to walk into the city and along the boardwalk a great way to relax and enjoy the sites of Cairns right on the waterfront. Many of our guests enjoy the walk and muddies playground for the kids is very popular. We have a new Food and Beverage Manager who has been focusing on training and your feedback greatly assists, thank you and certainly I have passed your wonderful feedback onto Clare and the Reception team. Thank you.

Reviewed June 2, 2010

I seriously don't even know where to start. I wish I had found this site and reviews within before I planned a holiday around Ridges Esplanade. Shame on me for thinking this Ridges would be as good as the others I have stayed in both within Australia and overseas.

CONS:
Perhaps I should start with the booking. When I called and spoke with the hotel to make a booking, I was ensured, twice (separate calls) that we were going to be situated on the upper floors. Floor 12, mountain view to be exact. So we went ahead and booked and paid as we wanted a room with a view. It was an important factor in choosing a hotel.
Upon checking in we were told we were going to be on the 3rd floor. After expressing our displeasure we were able to be moved up to the 6th floor.
Theres the fact that the room was not clean upon arriving and even had dried blood on the floors and walls (see below for more into).
Then one morning we had the buffet breakfast...it wasn't too bad but certainly wasn't anything special. What did make it bad was the fact that we paid cash (and have receipt) for the breakfast however later discovered that the bill had also been charged to our room also.
My biggest concern was my privacy. We often used the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door however on TWO occasions, housekeeping knocked and before I could even get a chance to get to the door, they just came on in. For this I will be submitting a formal complaint to the head office.

THE HOTEL: Hotel is very dated...looks like it was frozen in the 80's. Theres the hairdresser. There was a "gift shop" (which had about 3 items for sale, the rest of the shelves and displays were empty. Looked like a shop that had gone out of business)
The hotel grounds are quite nice and there is a few pools to use. The only problem is that the pools are beyond freezing. We found Cairns really hot and humid (as expected) but still could not bare a toe in the pool water for more than 10 seconds. We infact did not see one guest in the pool during our week long stay. Luckily we had a lovely warm ocean and cool mountain rivers to swim in.
It was a shame as we were excited to use the swim up bar to sip cocktails all day long.
The spa however was good and cannot really be faulted. The same goes for the Gym.
The service from the reception staff is hot and cold. There was a young woman who was very polite and always helpful. Could even say she was one of the best hotel staff we had dealt with ever. It was a shame that she was overshadowed by most of the other staff who were sometimes rude and very unwelcoming.
The location isn't the best but then it wasn't too bad either. It was a leisurely 15 min walk into the heart of Cairns via the boardwalk.
The "high speed internet" is far from such. Not only was it rather slow (fastest I could get was 34kbps) but also priced at a ridiculous rate. I also had to provide my own cable if we wanted to use the hotels internet as the cable supplied in the room was broken.
We were lucky enough to be able to connect to a wireless signal from a neighboring hotel which was not only a lot faster but also a lot cheaper.
It was almost impossible to get one of the 3 business center computers. They were always being used and there was always a line of other people waiting to use them.

THE ROOM:
Firstly, it was not clean. There was in fact dried blood on the balcony floor and a small amount on the bedroom wall. Yep, you read it right. Dried, dark red blood. There was also rubbish in the waste bins.
Again, it looks like its been stuck in the 80's. Even the trimmings on the lamps were falling off. Its the first 4 star hotel that I have been to in the last 5 years that still uses old school tv's (not LCD or plasma) and it was very small at that. (34cm)
The beds are old and feel it too. I highly doubt that they have been updated in the last 5 years. Did not make for the most comfortable night sleep at all.
The bedspread was all pilled.
The room itself is fairly large and spacious. Its a shame the table was small and then almost completely covered with Hotel books and pamphlets etc.
One could not sit on the sofa as it was broken and on a massive lean forwards.
The air con could not be adjusted, only switched off and it was very very noisy.
The one really good thing about the room was the water pressure in the shower and you could really enjoy it if you were not attacked by the old school, vinyl shower curtain.
2 Warnings. Check your minibar on arrival. We were told by other guests to check ours as there were things listed that were not in the fridge and they were charged for such, Upon checking, we found we too had missing items.
Secondly, be careful of the sink in the bathroom. Its a very poor design and if you turn the water on too hard (which is easy to do as its very sensitive) the shape of the bowl makes the water fly up to cover you from the chest down. As annoying as it can be (when getting ready to go out for dinner for eg) it can also provide some funny moments.

OVERALL: Checking in set the mood and to be ensured prior to and during booking that we would be situated high on the 12th floor only to be told we would be on the 3rd was not a good start.
To have my privacy invaded was at the least, disgusting. For it to happen twice is unthinkable.
To be double billed for the breakfast is again, disgusting.

Ive been using Ridges a lot over the last few years,,,,for both pleasure and business.
Until now, I have ALWAYS been happy in every possible way with the service and facilities Ridges has had to offer. It's almost a shame that this one experience has made me seriously consider never using or recommending Ridges again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ishywish

As you are aware I was extremely disappointed when reading about your recent stay as was the entire team here at the Resort. This level of service is certainly not who we are, we pride ourselves on exceeding our guests expectations and I sincerely apologise. Thank you for taking the time to talk through further your comments and I agree this is unacceptable. As you know I have acted on your comments and truly wish I had the opportunity to assist during your initial stay. I am looking forward to meeting you and welcoming you back to the Resort later this year.

Reviewed May 27, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights from 21st-28th May. We booked on-line for a standard room and in the request section I advised that we were coming up for our 47th Wedding Anniversary. We got the room for an absolute bargain price to begin with and on our arrival we had the lovely surprise of being upgraded to the 10th floor with an ocean view. The room was lovely and the Hotel had great facilities including 2 tennis courts, 3 pools, gym and spa, which we made very good use of. Although it is about 1.5km down to the Marina it is a pleasant flat walk along the Esplanade. The Hotel has a complimentary shuttle bus 3 times a day which was good for anyone going out for dinner at night down-town. Our only criticisms were that the TV should be updated to a larger flat screen type and the bath just needed re-grouting around the edges. Otherwise a lovely place to stay and we would definately stay there again if we had the opportunity. Reception staff were very helpful and the room maintenance was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for celebrating your 47th Wedding Anniversary with us, wonderful you enjoyed your stay. Our 3 pools, 2 tennis courts, gym and spa prove very popular and yes our location is perfect for a very pleasant walk along the Esplanade. The complimentary shuttle does provide a nice alternative to the city as well. Thank you and I have passed your comments onto the team.

Reviewed May 10, 2010

II booked the two-bedrooms apartment from www.rydges.com for our 5 nights stay at Rydges Esplanade Resort in Cairns.
Check-in was fast, and easy, front desk staff was friendly, and helpful.
But all things nose-dived from the time we stepped into our apartment. It's actually two one-bed room apartments with a connecting door. The fabric sofa is smelly, and with many different color stains. I just don’t want to sit in it. The 12” color TV is a nice touch, but for a 4-star resort, it’s a joke.
The major problems started from the second day after a full day out. We found out there is no room service. No towel change, no trash collection, no more shampoo and toothpaste. So I called front desk, and was told that there is room service, but only every once a week in apartment rooms. So for the rest of our stays, we throw out our own trash to the trash bin at the end of the hallway. We then had to call service desk for daily clean towels and trash bags, all items were then delivered to our room. For a 4-star resort without room service, it’s unthinkable.
My 3-year-old daughter started getting skin rash all over her arm and chest. I can only suspect the possible dirty bed sheet or the rain season in Cairns.
Its rainy season during April in Cairns. I first thought it’s usual to smell mold in the room. But on the last day, I finally found out the source: It’s the resort provided coffee creamer in the tiny fridge. Please see the photos I provided. For a 4-star resort, shame on you.

Apparently in this 4-star resort, there is a hidden gem of 1-star motel. We are luck enough to hit the jackpot.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeffrey2010
KellieCairns, Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to your recent stay here at the Resort. Firstly, my sincere apologies, it is certainly our intention to ensure our guests stay is an enjoyable one and on this occasion we have failed and I am sincerely sorry. It was with great disappointment that I read your feedback regarding our Housekeeping services and I agree, this is unacceptable and would like to reassure you is certainly not a reflection of our normal high standard of service levels. I have discussed this in detail with our Executive Housekeeper who prides himself on maintaining the Housekeeping standards throughout the property and disciplinary action has been taken with the employee reponsible. Wonderful to hear that you found the front desk team friendly and helpful and the check in process efficient. Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Tripadvisor and again I sincerely apologise.

Rydges Esplanade