“Comfortable, Excellent Features, and Helpfull Staff”

Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed October 5, 2009

From the time you arrive and park under the covered entrance till the time you leave the entire stay is well catered for. We wanted to be close to the hospital and it is, also close to Muddies Playground for the kiddies and the waterfront for an evening stroll. All round a totally professional hotel with everything you could ask for and just where we wanted it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
FBESP, food & beverage manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2009

“Comfortable, excellent features”

Thank you for your positive feedback! We are all pleased your family enjoyed their time with us and I have passed on your comments to the whole team here at the hotel.
We hope you visit us again soon to enjoy the relaxing surroundings.

Food & Beverage Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)

Reviewed October 3, 2009

Basic layout, older style left behind by much newer places in Cairns. Staff there to work no smile, no good morning, no warmth.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stylish69

No frills, save your money”

Thank you for your constructive feedback in relation to your recent stay with us. I am disappointed with the service you received during your stay and wish to let you know that was not at the high level we constantly aim for. I wish to also note that we are in the process of upgrading the appearance of both the inside & outside of the building.
I hope we have the chance to show you our best practice & new appearance on your next visit to our region.

Reviewed September 20, 2009

This place is cheap cheap cheap.
1. Rooms are OK, clean enough but run down.
2. Service is off hand and rude and reception. The girls there could not care less.
3. The room was not ready at 2.00 when I arrived to check in- no apology. nothing.
4. The swimming pools that look so great on the web site- the front pool is FREEZING (noone was in it) and the back pool (a teeny tiny lap pool) is only accessible by walking across a tennis court where people are playing tennis. What the-?
5. The much publicised Fire and Ice seafood buffet- some straggly prawns, a few sad oysters, some tired salads and awful cheap casserole food and desserts. POOR!
Don't bother with this place. There are plenty of other places. in Cairns.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Petal57
FBESP, management team at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2009

Thank you for your constructive feedback in relation to your recent stay with us. I have passed on your positive comments as to the cleanliness of your room to our house attendants. I am disappointed with the service you received on check in and wish to let you know that was not at the high level we aim for and we will use your comments in future training courses. In relation to our Fire & Ice buffet I can assure you we use only the freshest seafood from our region and our regular client base has appreciated the influence of our newly appointed executive chef.
I hope we have the chance to show you our best practice on your next visit to our region.

Reviewed September 5, 2009

We stayed at Rydges Esplanade as the final stop on our honeymoon, which had included some really nice places. Big mistake to finish it at this hotel. To a degree, our disappointment is slightly unfair on the hotel itself, since it doesn't (or shouldn't) pretend to compete with nice luxurious resorts. But we did find the overall experience sub-par even for a hotel of its type and it completely failed to meet expectations.

On the positive side, the fitness centre is great to have access to, and we enjoyed that. The view from the front balcony is ok but the Cairns waterfront isn't spectacular.

Now let's list the negatives - unfortunately there are a few.

1. Service - when we checked in, we had made it clear we were on our honeymoon, but we were sent to a room with 2 separate beds. Were the staff trying to tell us something?? I felt it should have been obvious that allocating a room with at least a queen bed would have been obvious for honeymooners but I had to go back downstairs and request this. This took a long time as there were glitches with the new room key they gave me for the room next door. My wife was unwell and was sitting against the wall all this time waiting for somewhere to lie down.

Which leads to the next point - since my wife was likely to be stuck indoors for a couple of days due to illness, we wanted to watch a few DVDs in our room to keep ourselves entertained. One problem - no DVD player in the room. But not to worry - the room brochures said we could hire one from reception.. so we asked about this. $25 a day, we were told... huh? You can buy one for $50, so $25 seemed excessive. However, we were desperate so agreed to do this for a couple of days. Later that day they told us that in fact there were no DVD players to hire - which would have been nice to know a little earlier so we could have done something about it. In the end we bought the cheapest one we could find from Myer and plugged it in, taking it home with us after our holiday!

2. Room - ours smelt of old cigarettes and was very dated.

3. The pool - looks like a good pool, but what's the point when the sun has disappeared behind the building by early afternoon? With the sun gone it was actually really chilly in the water, even though the weather at the time was well over 30 degrees.

4. Location - to me this was quite annoying, because the hotel isn't even on the Esplanade but just back from it at the very northern end. This means that it is quite a hike to town where you need to go in order to eat, shop, buy groceries or whatever. We usually don't mind walking a reasonable distance, in this case 1km each way, but in the warm season, in heavy humidity and 35 degree heat, it means you're dripping with sweat by the time you get where you want to go. There are plenty of hotels nearer to the town centre so we'd recommend one of these instead. There is nothing going on in the area where Rydges Esplanade is, and the hotel name is misleading in my view.

Rydges hotels always seem to disappoint me so I guess in future I'm going to avoid them wherever possible!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coralkiwi
Reviewed August 27, 2009

The room was spacious. It was looking a bit tired but it was clean and comfortable.
Very impressive fitness facilities.
A nice walk into town.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
cathyjacobson111, Front Office Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2009

Dear Guest, The fitness centre is a great asset to our hotel, thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback.

Reviewed August 27, 2009

I landed Rydges Esplanade as a mystery hotel through lastminutedeals.com, and it was OK for the price paid (well under AU$100 per night), but I certainly wouldn't return there if I had to pay rack rates.
The location was good for me - far enough from the centre to avoid the party crowd, but still only 15 minutes very leisurely walk to the Lagoon / 30 minutes walk to the railway station.
Foyer, hallways and my room were well lit and clean; room contained two comfortable double beds, clean linens and nice thick towels. Standard inclusions for this kind of place - iron & board, electric jug with tea & coffee sachets (including decaff). Broadband connection available, but I didn't use it.
The only part of the health and fitness centre that i used was the pool, but it wasn't very clean, and access wasn't so convenient as from the changing rooms you need to walk across one of the tennis courts to get there. The fitness centre supervisor also didn't know anything about towels he is supposed to supply for hotel guests (according to the info supplied in the hotel rooms).
Service generally was very patchy; the two women who checked my in were very offhand, while the one who handled check out was lovely. One day housekeeping hadn't made up my room when i returned at 4pm after a day out.
Buffet breakfast was decent value, but I only went once, so i don't know if the menu changed. Some of the restaurant staff tried to be nice although they were run off their feet; others didn't try at all.

1  Thank oisaan

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I was disappointed to hear your impression of Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns on your recent stay with us. It is disappointing to hear that all staff members were not displaying our usual high level of service. It is the service that we pride ourselves on and your comments on the service that you have received are not the standard of service that we tolerate at the hotel. I thank you once again for your comments and time.

Reviewed August 8, 2009

This place looks a little tired, however I stayed here twice within a week and both times had a very spacious room with balcony, facing the ocean. The first time I was on the 11th floor and it was fine, and the second time I was on the 4th floor which I found to be noisy with the balcony door open, as there were drunken wedding guests carousing downstairs. My only other gripe about the rooms was the small TV screens.

The hotel is an easy, level walk from the CBD, ferry terminal, car rental agencies etc. There is also a convenience store run by Rydges not far from the main entrance. The hotel has a great evening buffet with seafood, and some things can be cooked to order, as well as having a limited a la carte menu. Wines were rather expensive but Rydges Priority Club which is free to join offers a 20% discount on food and beverage, apart from breakfast and room service. The breakfasts were very good, as was a room service seafood pizza.

On this occasion I took advantage of a sale on rooms which the priority club was running. At $95 Australian per night, I would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank MikefromBerry

Dear Guest, Thankyou for your positive feedback this is crucial to the refurbishment process the hotel is currently under going. The hotel is situated in a great place and I will be sure to pass on your comments to the Executive Chef in regards to the breakfasts and room service. Thank you again for taking the time to give us valuable feedback.