“Exceptional Service, location to city great”

Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns
Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Limousin, France
“Exceptional Service, location to city great”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Requested a room that my Mother could have a step in shower, no problem. The staff came out to help with our bags, very friendly and courteous. Stayed 2 nights early Feb 2014. Close to the City Centre, close to the hospital so a great location for us. They did run a shuttle bus but we chose to drive or taxi. Room was great with an ocean view. Ate in the seaffod buffet one night which was fantastic value and great food.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mackatwo
Chinmay P, Manager at Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Wendy M,

Thanks you for such a nice review about us.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and our friendly staff looked after you very well.

We will be glad to welcome you again soon.

Regards,

Chinmay & the team @ Rydges Esplanade Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Craigieburn, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Fairly close to the airport (about $20 cab fare) and very close to the beach, pubs, etc but I found the place a little... Odd, I guess.

On check-in I was greeted by a front desk employee that, when presented with my name and the company I work for, said "You need to go to the trade winds." No hello, no can I help you, no explanation of what "the trade winds" was, nothing. When I told him I had just gotten off of a series of bumpy flights and was just doing what my employer told me to do he then looked, found my reservation, and presented me with my keys to that property (not the trade winds, which I learned was one of their sister properties... Somewhere.

The room was nothing remarkable but did have a balcony with a view of the neighbouring backpackers hotel and part of the area. No beach view that I could see but it was at night and in the beginning stages of a tropical storm so the views may be better normally. No mini bar in the room but there were basic coffee and tea facilities and a sign saying that drinks could be ordered via room service. The bathtub was about the right length and comfortable enough but was very deep. Definitely the deepest bathtub I've ever seen. There was also an area of wasted space at the end of the tub and partially walled off from the sink area to make it unusable. I'm not sure what the original design was but it is now a bit odd and unusable. Toiletries provided were nice enough. Again, nothing remarkable but nice enough. There is a huge shower that would be perfect for two people but there is only one shower head so, again, it makes for wasted space.

The hotel bar seemed nice enough, again nothing special, and was empty except for the bartender. I bought two beers and a packet of potato chips ($21, typical pricing for a hotel bar in the area) and took them to my room. I didn't use the restaurant or other facilities on this quick overnight trip so I can't really comment on them.

The staff were of mixed backgrounds and the only other guests that I saw were Japanese, part of a tour group, I think. No complaints or criticisms, here. Just an observation that may/may not impact on your ability to communicate with other guests if you desire to do so.

Perhaps the worst thing, however, is the Rydges loyalty program. In effect, it's worthless. You only get points if you book through their web site and the only other benefit is the 10% discount in their restaurant. Both of these "benefits" are worthless to a business traveller that is on an expense account and has their stays booked by the company travel agency. Compare this to the IHG group that gives me points toward free nights, upgrades (usually to a suite or better), fruit & mineral water, a welcome gift, free mini bar, and often free breakfast and/or free drinks and canapés in the evening and you quickly realise how poor the Rydges program is and how much better the one at IHG is.

This is the preferred hotel for my company in Cairns but I think I'll see if there's a Crowne Plaza or Holiday Inn in the area and get permission to stay there from now on instead.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The rooms are clean although a little dated. The bathroom especially requiring a revamp. The check in process was efficient as was the check out process. The foyer was abundant with many tourists preparing for their days adventures which made the trek to the reception area a little difficult. But as mentioned, once there all went smoothly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2014

a good 4 star property with service well above the others.a must is the buffet dinner.fresh seafood good for you plus steak lamb and chicken all cooked the way you ask.the chefs are indeed friendly.of course there is plenty of cold sea food and salads.not to forget the sweets and cheeses.the staff friendly and no waiting for those dirty dishes to be taken away.loved the place.

Room Tip: sea view a must
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear John1604,

Thanks a lot for such a great review about our Fire & Ice seafood buffet.

I am really pleased to know that you had a great experience during you stay with us. Happy to know that you’ve enjoyed the Fire & Ice Seafood dinner; and will surely pass you great words to our kitchen team.

We will be honoured to have you stay with us again soon.

Regards,

Chinmay & the team @ Rydges Esplanade Resort
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My partner and I stayed at Rydges for 5 nights last week and overall happy with their service. The room was nice and clean, full buffet brekkie was yummy and staff did their best to satisfy our needs. I had to ask restaurant attendant for a segment of a lemon due to my sickness and she brought nearly half a lemon. The next morning I was having my breakfast but couldn't be bothered asking for anything that day as I was feeling really crap that day and she came to me asking if I wanted some lemon today. That was really nice of nice, unfortunately, I don't remember her name but she was definitely from some European country. We booked the Crocodile Adventure tour through Rydges Tour Desk and were not disappointed because the price was really good. We loved our stay at Rydges and will certainly come back next time!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2014

we stayed at the Rydges Esplanade Resort Hotel for 5 nights. Although it was clean and we had all we needed this hotel is dated and needs some refreshing. You could feel the springs in the mattresses. The towels were very thin. Using the iron provided in the room blew the fuse but the most annoying issue was that the air conditioning cannot be regulated. It is either on or off. Since it was hot outside it was needed but it was set way too cold for us so we kept having to turn it on and off all the time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Francine D

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

QLD
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We recently stayed in a Family Tower apartment. I have no idea where the rooms in the picture were taken but it most certainly wasn't in our room!
I was initially a little hesitant in booking the room because of the price (it was low) but after reading numerous reviews I just decided that must have been because it wasn't right in the centre of town. Hmmmm, after checking in and heading to our room we quickly realised why it was cheap! The picture makes the room look fresh, modern and clean - we opened the door to find something of 80's or 90's style. The lounges looked grotty and the place was just generally run down and old. Even if they just replaced the bedding on the beds with crisp white linen and a runner (as shown in photos) it most probably would have made the world of difference but instead I had to lay under what felt like a seedy old style bedspread, you know the ones that fold back and also cover the pillows? The kitchen was very old too but I wasn't there to cook so that didn't really bother me. I hardly got a wink of sleep anyway because whenever any of the apartments above us flushed their toilet the noise was unbearable in our room.
We were only staying for 1 night so there was no point in complaining or finding alternative accommodation but in future I don't think I would even consider any Rydges hotel if that is their standard.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family