“Good service, good presentation”

Pullman Cairns International
Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Massive foyer, good size pool and spa on the 3rd floor. Studio room was clean and presentable, but too overly priced I feel. Location is excellent, right in the city of cairns and opposite the casino.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed September 6, 2010

We loved many things about this hotel, especially the pool and location. But we were bitterly disappointed that we could hear everything around us, people pushing chairs upstairs, closing doors and on either side of us, talking, watching TV, arguing - we could hear it ALL! we complained to management, but they did not really say much, or offer compensation or an apology. They just gave us a feedback form to fill out, which we thought was quite disappointing. We wanted to get away for a break, after a hard year of work, but we got very little sleep. If this hotel got sound insulation, I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jazzy81
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My wife and I stayed here in August 2010. We chose the Sebel as some friends were getting married and the ceremony and reception were all at the Sebel. It looked nice from the website so we thought it was the best choice (and we wouldn't have to travel between hotel and wedding location).

First impressions were that it was a very nice place. The lobby is stunning, and reminds me of the old luxury hotels you see in places like Hong Kong - high ceilings, floor to ceiling windows, big pillars, marble floors etc. There was no queue to check in, and the check-in staff were very friendly and efficient.

We chose a Harbour View room and on first impressions it was very nice - a good size, big bed, nice bathroom and a good sized balcony. On closer inspection, some of the furniture looked a little tired with bubbling laminate, scratch/water marks etc. However, these are minor gripes.

The wedding was held in the gazebo by the pool and went off without a hitch. The guests retired to the lobby bar for a drink or two, which were served by very friendly and efficient staff. The dinner was held in a private area above the lobby and again the staff were good and the food was superb. My smoked salmon entree was excellent and the beef tenderloin main course was exceptional. The waiters were very attentive without being noticed and regularly filled up water glasses and wine glasses.

OK, so far, so good. Now for the bad points. Firstly I will say that these really aren't the fault of the hotel. Since our room faced the main street, and we were located in the centre of Cairns, and it was a Saturday night, we were subjected to loud and drunken people roaming the street below (or travelling in their party bus with the music up to maximum) from midnight to past 4am. The glass doors to our balcony offered very little in the way of sound insulation so we didn't get much sleep. Perhaps the Sebel should look into double glazing these doors when they do their next refurbishment!

Other people have mentioned the noise coming from adjoining rooms but we didn't get any of that, but it could be that the rooms either side were empty. However in the morning we heard to TV go on in the next room (by the housekeeper I think) and boy was it loud! At first we though it was the TV in our room! So yes, it appears the walls are very thin in this hotel!

Breakfast the next morning was very good (except the pancakes - my wife thought they were pretty bad) with a good selection of cereals, hot food, fruit, toast, yoghurt etc.

However, overall I think the Sebel is a good hotel with excellent staff and good food. If I stayed there again, though, I would try to get a room facing away from the street if possible. If you really hate noise, though, you might want to consider a hotel in a quieter area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2010

The hotel is nicely updated with very comfortable rooms, great beds, a lovely bathroom and a nice balcony. Service was good and a business lunch in the restaurant was very pleasant. Unfortunately, there were two noise issues that would keep me from coming back. Being at the back of the hotel and not very high up, I was right over a large tourist bar in the back that features live music. Even with the balcony doors closed and fan on, I could hear the beat of the music when trying to sleep. Also, I heard EVERYTHING from the room next door. I'm not sure if was due to the door between the rooms as it's one of those rooms set up for adjoining rooms. I count myself very lucky that my neighbour only made what sounded like one long mobile phone call. I could hear every flush and every time he put his teacup down on the saucer. I shudder to think of what it would have been like with a family with kids or honeymoon couple next door.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank sklose
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Yes, this is a real question, because when I asked an umbrella, it was raining often, the concierge told me that there were't umbrella and He was also a little bit suprised for the question.
The hotel was good, maybe the best hall that I saw in my life, but the room was normal.
Internet's cost was uncredible, hyper expensive.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Nice old hotel - lovely lobby & good sized rooms. We got a room looking out towards the water, but it's not on the front, there are other hotels in front of it. We had seen a good rate on Expedia, which they gave us at the front desk as well.

I'm sure the hotel food is expensive ( but there's plenty of options very close by as alternatives.

Guest laundry is avalable (at a small cost). Wifi was expensive. Big swimming pool, but it was cold, so we didn't use it (July).

Only complaint I'd have is the thin walls - we seemed to get more noise here than in other places we stayed.

Better value than the big chains.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Business traveller staying for 1 night, was upgraded to a king premium room. Nice view of the harbour and the room was very good. Lots of space, everything worked and plenty of nice touches. Slept very well.

Thought the food overall was quite expensive. Room service brought me a $25 fish and chips and it was a handful of chips and two small pieces of fish. No salad, nothing else. Room service breakfast was worse - $9 for a smoothie? C'mon. Anyway there is an excellent little cafe right beside the hotel serving excellent breakfasts at a great price.

Overall a very good stay, but perhaps the room upgrade has helped my review. Unsure how I would have viewed my initially smaller room at this price rate.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business