“Not quite hitting the mark”

Pullman Cairns International
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Cairns, Australia
“Not quite hitting the mark”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Having stayed here before and wanting one last blow out before going back to work, we decided to stay one night. On this stay we had a fantastic view over the inlet, looking at the boats etc. The room itself was reasonably clean however, wehn sitting outside we found a big (foreign) hair on the table where I had a drink sitting. We availed ourselves to the bar and had some really nice cocktails. Upon breakfast next day we were a little disappointed with some attitudes by the staff. Apart from the fresh omlette (which was excellent) that was cooked for me, the rest of the food was either cold (bacon etc) or dry (pancakes & waffles).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cairns
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Nice hotel, lovely area. Had trouble with one of the lifts (our swipe key would not work in the particular lift). Disappointed we paid extra for a "premium" room and did not receive a newspaper in the morning, although we were supposed to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BogartNikki, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am glad you were impressed with both the Hotel and it's location.

I am sorry you experienced difficulty with one of our elevators, I have passed you comments onto our Engineering Department to further investigate.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the Pullman Cairns International.

Regards

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Have stayed regularly for several years, through Four name changes to the hotel. Even convinced my company to all stay here when in Cairns.

Then, when checking-out from my most recent stay, was told "Surprise! We're the Pullman group now!"
My 'frequent-stayer' membership had been reset to ZERO. All my built-up history with the hotel and priveliges were wiped clean.

I was humiliated at reception, in front of other guests, and was forced unexpectedly to pay full price, for items that used to be free with the hotel's frequent-guest programme.

This reneging on all past promises was not advised at time of booking, nor at time of check-in. During my stay the matter cropped up, and reception informed me that my membership with the hotel's former frequent guest programme would be honoured, AND that I would be receiving an email that would give me an option to switch my frequent-guest membership from Sebel to Pullman.

At check-out this promise was NOT honoured, furthermore I was trapped by the "Surprise - we've tricked you! We're a DIFFERENT hotel now" that was publicly pulled on me.

The only staff who were sympathetic to my plight were the concierge crew, one department that seems to be very well run.

I'm so embarrassed at having been talked down to. In the several years I've been staying here, I've never before been treated as if I were a thief - which is how I was treated for unwittingly enquiring why I hadn't received the usual privileges of a frequent guest.

I'm not without influence over the men in my company, they're most distressed at my treatment.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Charlene M
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Quality of hotel was excellent five star but you pay for what you get.

Service was great, really appreciated the valet service with the car. Even got a loan umbrella for one day of our stay.

We mainly just had breakfast but also had the dessert bar which was excellent. Petite portions of each but you could taste everything and not just one portion.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BogartNikki, General Manager at Pullman Cairns International, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Robgwen,

Thanks for taking the time to post you comments on trip advisor, the team and I really appreciate it.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the great dessert buffet. I'll certainly be forwarding your great feedback to our team of Pastry Chef's.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Cairns.

Regards

Pullman Cairns International.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is not the fanciest or newest of hotels (it seems like no one has built any new hotels in the in Cairns over the last 10 years) but for what we paid we couldn't complain. It was clean, well maintained, and has all the amenities one would expect from a modern hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Andrew C

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.

The team and I are so pleased you enjoyed the Hotel and it's facilities.

Hopefully we will get the opportunity to welcome you back when you next visit beautiful North QLD.

All the best

Virginia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Note: this hotel was formerly known as the Sebel.
My wife and I stayed here Dec 22,23, and 27 2012. The hotel is a level above a Hampton Inn but below a Ritz Carlton. Our room with a double bed cost about $250 AU per night.

The hotel is located a block away from the water and Esplanade area. If you're embarking on a water activity in Cairns, this hotel would be very convenient. It is also within walking distance to many shops and restaurants.

We had breakfast at the hotel and were impressed by the full buffet. There were may food choices available including some Asian dishes. The price was about $30 AU.

The hotel has a nice outdoor pool and lounge area. There is a small gym as well. All parts of the hotel were clean and looked well-maintained.

The staff provided exceptional service. When we first checked in on Dec 22, two of our bags had not made it from our flight from San Francisco to Sydney. We were embarking on a three night scuba diving excursion to the barrier reef, and the hotel manager promised to track down our bags and have them for us when we returned on Dec 27th. Sure enough, when we checked back in for the night of Dec 27, our two bags were waiting for us in our room.

Whether you are a business traveler or on holiday with your family, I would recommend this hotel as your base of operations in Cairns.

Room Tip: The "low season" in Cairns is December. I was told that the city gets very busy during th...