“Nice and close”

Ranked #22 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Brisbane, Australia
“Nice and close”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

The Oasis was a 1 night stay while on business for me. The price was very good. My late checkin was handled well and first impressions in the room was great. The bed, bathroom and room facilities were fine for the short stay. The distance to the city and to the office was excellent - reason I chose it. Breaky was delivered to the room on time and the staff were friendly and helpful.

1 Thank Ruth A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2014

I must admit I was a bit concerned about having to stay here after reading recent reviews. I'm pleased to say that I did experience any problems during my stay. The room I had was a decent size and reasonable in it's decor. The hotel has a nice feel to it for the tropics, the grounds are nice and the location is a short walk from the foreshore area and the CBD. I must admit that I didn't dine at the hotel, but if you're in Cairns and you choose to eat at the hotel then you're really not trying hard enough to experience the town.

The staff were fine, similar standard to other hotels I stay at around the country. Reading some of the other reviews I suspect guests are looking for 5 star service at 4 star prices which is why they are let down. If you're staying here with the your expectations in line with what you're paying for I'm sure you will enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor is likely to quieter.
3 Thank Lee_thal77
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We stayed for 1 night in a 1st floor room, the check in was very professional, the check out needed work, the staff member couldn't answer our questions with hollding funds, only knew to follow steps A, B & C to process the transaction. The room was very bland & without a doubt the worst nights sleep I have ever had, the 2 double beds in the room seemed to have collapsed bases so every time you moved there was a loud creaking sound & we ended up sleeping in separate beds as we kept rolling into the middle of the bed. Disappointing to say the least as both of us decided to stay here based on numerous previous business trips in the past.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kelli75
GMNovotelCairns, General Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Dear Kelli75,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback on your stay at the Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort.

In regards to the bed condition we have taken that bed out of our pool of beds and replaced it with a new base & mattress. From your comments I am reviewing our bed standards and implementing a replacement programme so that we can ensure that our Guests receive a good night’s sleep.

I am also reviewing the training for our reception team in regards to their knowledge of what transpires when the hotel does a pre authorisation on check in.
The procedure is if the amount charged on check out is less than the pre authorisation on check in the remaining funds are released, if the amount is greater than the greater amount is charged and the original amount is released. Depending on the bank this might take up to 24 hours to be released.

I wish to sincerely apologize for failing to provide a good night’s slept and extend my personal commitment to restore your confidence in our hotel.

Once again we apologise that you had this experience and hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to a Novotel hotel in the future.

Kind regards,
adelaide
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Booked in for a work trip for 3 nights, but sadly from arrival on day one things went bad. Staff were very busy speaking amongst themselves and it took several attempts for me to interrupt and be checked-in to my room. When i arrived at my room I was surprised at the out dated and small room - nothing like the Novotel standard elsewhere I've stayed. The room smelt damp and I was quick to drop my things and head out. Wasn't a very pleasant few nights - spoke to staff about the smell and they informed me it was 'just the time of year for that smell'. The whole place seems like it is overdue for a refurbish - nothing seemed maintained or clean... and staff struggled to smile!. The plus points are that the hotel is very central and is surrounded by lovely established grounds.

To further detract from my stay I read today that the hotel is applying to have the beautiful trees and wonderful bat colony destroyed! My room faced onto the bat colony and I had no issue with them and found it a wonderful treat to see them up close amongst the city drabness!

NOVOTEL you are making a big mistake by attacking the bats... they are not your problem! Spend some money on updating your rooms, not destroying what should be your asset!

Room Tip: AVOID this hotel - out dated and actively damaging the local environment and wildlife!
7 Thank SouthAustTripper
Dear SouthAustTripper,

I must say I was disappointed for you when I read your comments, I am sorry to discover that the most alarming is the lack of empathy or basic courtesy from our Reception staff they did not show the care and empathy I expect of a Novotel employee. We pride ourselves on customer service and invest a lot of resources to ensure we excel in this area.

I wish to sincerely apologize for failing to provide a high standard of service and extend my personal commitment to restore your confidence in our hotel.

I understand that the colony of the speckled flying fox's that roost in some of the trees that are on the company’s property is a sensitive nature and we are working with Cairns City Council in the most environmental way to ensure their relocation from the Cairns CBD is done within the Department of Environment guidelines.

Kind regards,
Peter

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I recently stayed at the Novotel Cairns for 1 x night on a work trip to Tropical North Queensland. My overall view on my stay was average.

As we had traveled as a group earlier that day from Palm Cove to Cairns our bags had been sent earlier that day. Upon check-in we asked the agent if our bags had already been arrived and sent up to the rooms as we were in a big hurry for a work meeting. We had been advised that the bags were in our room and waiting for us. However mine was not. Finally within about 15min they had been found and finally brought up to my room.

As we stayed as a group we could view other rooms other than just our own and I must say that it certainly a lack of consistency throughout. I had cushions missing and my colleague had an interesting looking bathroom.

All in all breakfast was good, pool area great, bed super comfy and location is decent not down by the lagoon are but still central and an easy walk. Good option for a budget stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ashton3,

We are working with the team to ensure that our rooms are presented to an equal standard and I have passed on your comments about the inconsistent finishes in the rooms.

We are also reviewing our procedure when we place luggage in a room so that we can identify which bag has been delivered to which room to alleviate the issue of misplaced luggage.

You may rest assured that we are committed to maintaining high standards of comfort and service for our guests.
Your feedback has enabled us to identify what went wrong and to implement the steps necessary to address the issues you encountered. I have shared your feedback with the resort management team and together we will address the issues you encountered as a matter of priority.

I am glad that you found the hotel to be a great base and centrally located to explore Cairns easily.

Kind Regards,
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We stayed here for one night & requested a room with a pool view but we got one with a view of a make shift car park. Not sure why this is as it had low occupancy at the time. The pool is nice and big but not heated. The pool bar also didn't open until 12pm, which was a let down. The staff running the pool bar were very friendly and helpful, which is more than I can say for the lady working on the tour & travel desk who was most unhelpful. Probably wouldn't stay here again for the price.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Johnrex J,

I do apologise that you did not receive the Pool view room that you booked and i am following up on our procedures to ensure that this does not occur again.

Yes the Pool bar is a real asset to the Pool area and we are reviewing our opening times to ensure that we do offer a greater service here. And we have just increased the range of food available at Pool Bar so that our guests can have more choice.

I have passed your comments onto the owners of the Tour Desk in regards to the disapointing service you received from the staff member manning the desk at the time.

Kind Regards,