“Great value for a family holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort

Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort
Ranked #21 of 65 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney, Australia
“Great value for a family holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

I greatly enjoyed my stay along with my family. I had the advice of my travel agent, who is a local, and he recommended I book the deluxe pool side room at the Novotel rather than a 5-Star property I was thinking about. I am glad I took his advice, as it was exactly "as advertised". The end to end experience was very pleasant and nothing to complain about.
After reading some reviews here on Tripadvisor, I was concerned about staying at the Novotel Cairns, however I will give my own opinion on some of this. Firstly, this is a 4-Star Hotel. There are no butlers or gift shops on premises. This is a tropical location so the air-conditioners will get that "Tropical" smell to them. A quick call to Housekeeping will get someone to happily and politely clean the filters. I found the front of house people to be polite and helpful. The man with the Caribbean accent on the three times I dealt with him (Check-in, Towels for the pool and a general inquiry) was polite and helpful, so I am not sure why people were complaining about him. The man who ran the "Swim up" bar was friendly and engaging and nice to have a chat with. As my children love the pool and swimming, most of the 3 days of my time was spent sitting around the pool. The man that ran the bar there was always there and serving people. The only time I saw him leave his post was to run up to the main bar to get special liqueurs for cocktails and the odd sprint to the toilet. During all the time I was there, whenever I wanted a drink for myself or the children, he was there. The Free WiFi is slow, but so is the internet in Cairns. I also found my 4G connection on my phone, which is normally faster than ADSL to be slow also.
More about my stay. We had the Pool Side Deluxe room, which was clean and tidy. The bathroom was well stocked with the normal toiletries and there was a modest mini-bar. The beds for me felt very comfortable. A feature I liked is there are a number of choices possible for pillows, rather than the standard Hotel Pillow. This was a nice touch, and I could get a pillow very similar to the one I have at home and have a good sleep on a comfortable bed also. The downstairs bars are nice, and the pool bar / restaurant is a great spot to relax. On the subject of the pool, it is gigantic, at least 50 meters long and probably 12 meters wide. There is a sandy beach at one end which small children greatly enjoy. The gardens and grounds are well kept and in keeping with the tropics. The back entrance to the Novotel brings you out onto Abbott Street, which has a wide selection of shops and restaurants. This is just one street back from The Esplanade, which is the walkway along the water in Cairns. Another nice thing about this is if you leave the back of the hotel, walk to the right, then turn first to the left onto Aplin Street, there is a Grocery shop and a bottle shop there, should people want to buy supplies at the regular retail price to take back to your room. Having children this was very good for me, as I could take them on the 5 minute walk to buy snacks.
I took a package that included breakfast and we ere able to fill up for the day. There is a hot and cold selection, that I found was at a 4 star level, and I was not disappointed with the food. Things like Sausages, Bacon eggs, toast, fruit, cereals and some pastries made a good selection. The only feedback was I didn't really like the offerings of the coffee machine, and I would have preferred to have the "Brewing Pot" rather than the machine.
The travel desk opposite the reception also had a great range of options in and around Cairns with maps etc also.
Finally, I certainly do recommend the Novotel Cairns, it appeals to a wide range of travellers, with the huge pool and the central location, it’s really good for a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: The Poolside Deluxe rooms are great
1 Thank Khutan
GMNovotelCairns, General Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive, positive review of your stay. I am pleased to learn that you had a great family holiday in Cairns and enjoyed the time spent at the Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort. I look forward to sharing your valuable feedback with the resort team.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Pontefract, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the suite this january. Very nice, lovely room, mountain and sea view, also looking over the pool.

Loved the happy hour. Get them in a plastic cup and chill out in the pool watching the fruit bats flying all over the place.

Friends stayed in a standard room which was quite small and there was no point in the balcony but the suite is very large with all the amenities.

Also having a travel desk/concierge was helpful. Booked great barrier reef and rainforest trip and saves a fortune doing it.

Didnt eat im the hotel restaurant but the ro service food was from the same menu and was very nice and generous.

All im all nice place. Nice location in a beautiful part of the world.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank corbett_shane
Mooloolaba, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed here for two nights before moving on to a nicer and better priced hotel. This Hotel is old! might have been great in the eighties but it has not been maintained well. The foyer, Cafe restaurant is very old fashioned. The pool area was dirty could see the mould and dirt from above. The balcony was barely wide enough for a chair and was mouldy and dirty. The room itself, had a one bedroom, this is merely two rooms separated by a slide door which did not close properly. The bathroom drain smells and the shower head was broken so it would not stay upright. They fixed it but still had to use it for a night. The TV would not work all morning just about to ring about it but it came on. The kitchenette only had some plates nothing else. No microwave, toaster, element it was really just a sink. There wasn't even a dishcloth. The glasses were dirty lipstick stains still on them - YUK! And I was itchy the whole time I was there! The elevator too kept lurching slightly not a good feeling. They charged me $200 a night! Are you kidding! No way was it worth that. I moved to a 100% better Hotel closer to the CBD and for $70 less a night had a lovely apartment with views, kitchenette - fully stocked, laundry, huge balcony, clean and modern.

The service was odd. Some staff seemed very good others totally useless and strange.

2 Thank MinyamaMum
Thanks for taking the time to post feedback on Trip Advisor. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations during your stay at the resort. We appreciate that some guests prefer an apartment style product with limited services and some prefer to stay in a hotel. Fortunately Cairns has a great selection of both styles of property, so we are pleased to learn that you found a serviced apartment that provided cooking facilities within your price range.

Your valuable comments regards a broken shower head and a smell coming from the drain in the bathroom has been actioned by our Maintenance team.

Once again we are sorry about the issues you encountered and we hope to welcome you back to Novotel in the future.

Kind regards,

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We booked direct with hotel, I made special reference to not wanting to be on 2nd floor because nearly all prior comments said those rooms were awful. Arrived on time with rental car. Asked receptionist (dark skinned Afro-american?) if I could leave car out front until we had checked in. Response being "Well you are not supposed to". Made arrangements to hire a park in basement. No instructions how to get there.

Whilst we were trying to check in, he was also having a conversation with friends who were "visiting" him at his work place, some thing to do with upcoming Gigs. In hindsight his attitude as a Receptionist made sense as he obviously wasn't a professional. Let's say it wasn't the most welcoming reception I have received at a NOVOTEL hotel.,

We had signed up for the "Le Club" so I must admit that I was expecting a little more personal attention and professional attention. So not a good start.

We unloaded our luggage from our car unaided. We took our own bags up to the room, unaided. No room services explanation, Not a thing, I practically felt we were a bit of a bother in having decided to stay here.

Despite assurances yes we were assigned the 2nd floor 2015. So we gave it a try!

We had reserved a king size bed deluxe room with a pool view. We had been given a dump of a room which would have put a back packers to shame. See the photos. It was not what was reserved, it was dirty, noisey was a triple room not a double and it had no view.

There were two beds in the room not one, the view of the pool was in fact a view of the roof of what sounded like a pump house for the pool. There was one small towel each. It was simply disgusting.

I immediatly went back down to reception and this time approached the female receptionist in the hope that she would be more helpful than her workmate. No such luck. She had obviously been through the complaints ritual many times before and had all her answers off pat.

To my enquiry as to my having a correctly allocated room she responded NO Mistake has been made.

To my enquiry as to why when I had reserved a de luxe double kiing room and had received a triple room which certainly was not a deluxe room. The response was 'they all have two beds". on that floor. I offered to pay for an upgrade as they were advertising on the desk itself upgraded rooms SPECIAL for 20.00 p.p. more. The response was I was already in the "upgraded room" already. My goodness there were rooms in this hotel that were worse!!!

To a question what was the next "non special" rate the response was if I would pay an additional another two hundred a night she would move us.

If I had not have already prepaid we would have been out of there in a minute.

Well readers I have attached several photographs of this hotel's so called upgraded 2nd floor de luxe room for you to judge for yourselves. I ran out of adjectives.

Certainly DON'T take any of their advertising photographs at face value regarding the rooms, beds or views from the rooms.

I also show a couple of photos of the "Included Breakfast" if you wish to take up that option don't bother. Plastic spoons and a nescafe machine just doesn't do it for me any more I'm afraid.

Oh and just in case you do despite my warnings, don't sit at the tables along the wall side. You will feel like a two year old, the seats are so low the dining table come up to chest height.

Check out the photographs of the wonderful (NOT) selection of Queensland fruit and hot breakfast dishes available! You will be overcome......However a cold face cloth, provided you brought you own will revive you.

Maybe a nice relaxing pre dinner cocktail in the foyer lounge bar.....errr NOT. a series of mis matched chairs and tables stuck in an alcove around the side of the reception isn't my idea of a cocktail lounge.

Oh and forget the romantic wedding anniversary dinner. The menu is pathetic. If you wish to eat inside they will set up a table in the same "cocktail bar" area, but there are a few outside tables provided it's not raining, and these are OK alongside the inside wall where you won't get too wet.

All in all a pretty sad hotel which would put Joe Maplin's to shame. "Heidi Hi Campers" We actually counted the number of staff/management that smiled at us during our stay. Two, and those smiles were from the same breakfast hostess, good on her. She actually took some interest in her guests.

A very poor start to a 2nd wedding anniversary holiday.

OK Novotel Cairns, you have a great location but you really need to do better. Even the Cairn's locals had little nice to say to recommend you once we told them where we were staying.

It takes more that dumping a pile of sand a couple deck chairs and towels set in the hotel foyer to impress the visiting Travel Agents who were in Cairns over the same period as ourselves. if you can't deliver service and room standards for your paying customers you are on a looser.

Room Tip: The rooms and assumedly all the less than deluxe rooms offered on the 2nd floor should be withdrawn...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ian-R-Bray-JP
It is evident from reading about your experience that we failed to offer the level of service we aspire to provide in a Novotel hotel. Given the focus we place on customer service it is very disappointing to read your Trip Advisor review. Please accept our sincere apology for failing to meet your expectations.

The resort management team will take the steps necessary to address the issues you encountered during your stay.

Once again, thanks for your valuable feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Novotel in the future.

Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed here for business and was very comfortable. Nice reception area and room functional but comfortable. Great pool are in the middle of the resort and close enough to walk to the main area of Cairns.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Blenheim, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Having reading a few negative reviews on here after already booking this Hotel for our family holiday we were a little apprehensive.

We need not have worried as our experience at the Novotel Cairns exceeded our expectations. Yes the rooms are slightly on the small size and not all have great views, although some do. The staff were friendly, helpful and nothing was a problem. The facilities were great value for the money, the gym had really good quality equipment and the pool is massive and suitable for little kids and adults. Unfortunately the pool bar wasn't open except for our last day there. However, this was down to the unfortunate weather at the time. Which I thought was completely understandable as not many people were swimming or using the pool area anyway accept for us crazy Kiwis.

Once the sun did come out ( on our last day there) the pool bar was great and a nice place to chill out with family and friends.

This Hotel is also very close to the Esplanade and just a short 5 minute walk to the Pier. The Cairns mall is only a few hundred meters down the road too.

We especially enjoyed the buffet breakfast it is very good value for money. Despite what others have said we found the bat show at dusk was an amazing spectacle to watch, especially from the comfort of our Hotel balcony. We had a room very close to the trees but couldn't hear them at all during the night time so no problem at all..We will definitely consider the Novotel when we next visit Cairns, hopefully not too far away....

Room Tip: If travelling with a family definitely pay the extra for the breakfast buffet. Also there are larger...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMNovotelCairns, General Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
It is great to read your positive feedback about your visit to Cairns. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the resort.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel on a day when the sun is shinning.

Kind regards
Townsville, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

We were going to cairns and got a great deal from accorhotel( I am an advantage plus holder) for $76 overnight accommodation.
I was concerned about bats in the area after reading some reviews.
We checked and asked about the bats and where our room was, we didn't need to worry. They are taking steps to rid the area of these bats. Our room was on the 6 level overlooking the pool area. We paid for secure parking $7.50.
We ate in the restaurant and used our 50%discount for meals. Next morning we ate at the hotel with prepaid breakfast next time I will take advantage of the 50% discount on meals not worth the price we paid $20.00 P.P. Overall great value for what we paid. Cheers Sue

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan H
It is great to read that you were able to take advantage of some of the good value for money offers we have available during low season.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort in the future.