“Oasis with the fruit bats”

Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed April 7, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We were 4 women traveling from the States. One of our traveler's bucket list item was to snorkel at the Great Barrier Reef. We stayed for 4 nights, on the 4th floor in the "higher number rooms". Two of us were in one of the rooms overlooking the pool, and two of us were in a room overlooking the tree section with the "flying squirrels" (fruit bats). The "step ups" entering the room, and the bathrooms took a little time to get used to, but not a problem after a few stubbed toes. The beds were comfy for me, and the pillows were a bit on the firm side. The maid service was good in our room, not so good in our friend's room. Yes, the fruit bats make a lot of noise, they are an unwanted wake up call for late risers. However, they are fascinating to watch upon their arrival in the early morning hours, and their departure later in the early evening. Wi-fi is available in the room for a fee, but free in the lobby. And there are 2 computers in the lobby area with free internet. I found the breakfast to be good, with a wide variety of foods. The location is 1 block from the Promenade, and very close to wonderful restaurants, shops, grocery store, and beach. I enjoyed staying at the hotel, and staff was very helpful, and, thank you for the complimentary champagne to help celebrate a birthday!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2014

After a tough week we decided to stay at the Novotel due to not having stayed there for some time. The Pool Bar was closed but I was happy to sit on the terrace and have a drink. There was a change of shift and unfortunately, certain members of staff forgot who the customer was and/or there was no customer service what so ever. The bar tender wouldn't even open a bottle of bubbly and then whilst I was standing there had an argument with a waitress over where a meal order had to be delivered. This in itself was quite entertaining as both staff clearly did not give two hoots about customers. As the restaurant was also closed (and I wish someone would have told us when booking) we decided to have dinner in the hastily put together restaurant in the bar area. This was yet another fail!! It took some time to receive service, one waiter was working hard and the other just walked around with a smile and did pretty much nothing. Anyway we ordered, I did notice that other were also waiting for some time but with one person trying to do everything, it doesn't work. The entrees eventually arrived on a meal trolley (courtesy of the aforementioned waitress) but low and behold, so did the mains. I protested that I did not want the mains with our entrees. Then Mr "I don't open bottles" piped up and proceeded to abuse me and give me attitude. Thankfully the hard working waiter (as previously mentioned) took control and organised everything as it should have been. After our "interactive" dining experience we skipped desert and went to the nearby gelato shop instead. Next morning we went to the restaurant for breakfast which was passable at best.

I always make a point of staying at Novotel when possible or at least an Accor property. Novotel wasn't my first choice but I was persuaded by my wife. I wish I had stuck with my original choice and stayed at the other Accor Property located in Cairns.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere or try and get a room on the western side of the hotel due to the noisy bat colony that...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank LiveCairns
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a night and at first impression it was poor. Sure the prices might be appealing but the place looks a bit outdated and the owners certainly don't want to put any money into it, seems like a profit only business. The room smells like mould too and unfortunately outisde our windows was the horrible tree full of fruit bats, which made it hard to sleep at night. The breakfast was good and had a variety of options. This can be a great place with a bit of work but surely isn't a good place right now.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Brian V
Reviewed April 4, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kaye C
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed there w my son for holidays as the Novotel is always good value for money with decent beds and this one didn't disappoint again. Everything is basic but we had two very comfy twin beds and a big size room. Our room was pool facing and far away from the big trees w hundreds of bats. They didn't bother us but I can imagine that they do if you have a room close to them as they are very noisy and smelly.please don't get the breakfast at the Novotel that was unbelievably bad. Thankfully the hotel is so centrally located and you have access to restaurants , coffee shops and a supermarket. The really bad thing was that you could only get free wifi in the lobby and that Internet connection was even bad. You could only but wifi w cable connection in the room that doesn't help for tablets or smart phones. So pls upgrade the Internet Novotel and I will come again .

• Stayed: March 2014