“Utterly Disapointing!”

Ranked #59 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Springwood
“Utterly Disapointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

Come to Cairns couple of times per year and usually stay with Rydges Plaza due its great central location and friendly efficient staff - what has happened??
when i phoned the reservations team i was quoted 3 different rates- all of which are much pricier than what my colleague and i usually pay. When asking about our business rate the young lady got quite rude and argumentative. On arrival at the hotel there was a stuff up with my booking, the gentlemen checking me in tried to say i had been booked into a different hotel but then realised my name was spelt incorrectly. Breakfast was very average and ive noticed the rooms have had a bit of an upgrade but have the same mouldy carpet.- beds are very comfy but i must say staff morale in this establishment definately needs improving. I will think twice before staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Trev6727
Andrew_Cairns, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, March 22, 2009
Dear Trev6727,

I was dissapointed to hear your impression of Rydges Plaza Cairns on your recent stay with us. It is dissapointing to hear that a staff member was not displaying our usual high level of service. It is the service that we pride ourselves on and your comments certainly highlight the point that one piece of bad service can taint the entire impression that our guests form of our hotel. I

will be following this up with our reservations team to ensure we do not have any repeat mistakes.

I sincerely apologise for the errors made when making your booking and hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back in the near future to prove that this was an isolated incident.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

I recently stayed here for work in Cairns. I had not stayed here in a while because it was getting dated like many of the hotels in Cairns. I had booked cheap over the net for $109 and this was a real bargain.

The hotel has been refurbished and was a pleasure to stay at. The room was comfy, the large LCD worked unlike some other Rydges hotels. The bathroom was large and overall was perfect to stay at for business.

Room service was well priced and tasted great. Great location in the city near the bars and clubs and only a few blcoks from the esplande.

The balocny was small but you are not there to stay on the balcony. Parking was free and undercover.

Good Yum Cha below as well....

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Musrag
Andrew_Cairns, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, March 15, 2009
Dear Musrag,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us at Rydges Plaza Cairns.

We completed a $1.5 million refurbishment in January 2009 and are very pleased with the results and are getting great feedback from our guests. This refurbishment, along with our central location make Rydges Plaza Cairns the best choice in Cairns.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards,

Brisbane, Qld
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2008

It's our first time to Cairns and initially booked at Rydges Esplanade Cairns which turned out to be the worst holiday experience. I was informed that it is not a Rydges owned hotel hence they don't have the dream beds and other amenities of a Rydges owned hotel.

We moved to Rydges Plaza Cairns and got the corner room of the 9th floor. Room was excellent, yup they have the dream bed, flat screen HDMI, cable, broadband and spectacular view of Cairns. My hubby thanked me for salvaging the rest of our holiday. In the end, we stayed a day later.

• Liked — Dream Bed, quite aircon, view from my room, amenities
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bingpagbilao
Andrew_Cairns, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, October 29, 2008
Dear Bingpagbilao,

Thank you for your wonderful reveiw of Rydges Plaza Cairns. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular our new Rydges Dream Beds, they truely are luxurious - and I should know, I like them so much I bought one for my home!

Once again, thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,

glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

A bit apprehensive due to some of the reviews. I was very pleasantly surprised, the room was great, staff friendly and a great location. No problems what so ever.
Ask for the refurbished rooms.

• Liked — A refurbed room
  • Disliked — slight damp smell..no big deal
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank herbGlasgow
Andrew_Cairns, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, October 8, 2008
Thank you for your review of our Hotel.

We have gone through some extensive refurbishments with more to come in the future (none of which will impact guests during their stay). I am pleased to start to see the positive effects these refurbishments are having on our guests experience's.

Thanks again,

Rydges Plaza Cairns
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2008

I just returned from a trip up to north Queensland with one of my good friends, and we stayed at the Rydges Plaza in Cairns before departing on boat for the reef the following morning. The beds were comfortable, but unfortunately the rest of the experience left a bit to be desired. The rooms and fittings in the hotel are quite dated - the bathtub had been repaired at some point and had a big black area from the putty repair, the windows were thin and we could hear people partying at a club nearby until 2 am, and some of the paint was peeling as well.

The hotel is in a convenient location to get to the reef terminal and the esplanade, and the staff were helpful with suggestions of where to grab something to eat.

Overall, we booked it because the price was right (A$109), but there probably are some nicer places to stay.

As a note, the hotel charges a surchage for using a credit card (2.5-3.5%) so be prepared.

• Liked — The service of the staff - they were friendly and helped us to find a place for dinner
  • Disliked — Noisy at night (thin windows) and dated finishings
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank kckayak99
ScottRotorua, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, July 14, 2008
Dear kckayak99

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your stay. It was pleasing to read great comments about our Hotel and of your experiances here in Cairns.

I was concerned to read you where affected by outside noise from the clubs in the area, and ask you when you stay at any hotel, tell the hotel when it is happening, so they can react and ensure you get a good nights rest.

I am pleased to advise we are conducting a refurbishment at the property which includesnew bathrooms, 32" LCD screens in all rooms, new movie system, and new corridors for all the floors.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Cairns, where I am sure you will see the difference.

Kind Regards

Scott Lynch

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

Booked a good price through Wotif. Checked out hotel website and selected hotel based on new beds. Mistakenly thought rooms had been updated -WRONG! Hotel is shabby: chipping paint, dingy carpet, poor linen quality and scuzzy bedspreads. Pool area is sterile and unappealing. We had a noisy room that fronted a street with nightclubs and loud backpackers' hostel.

Central location is good - new bed was comfortable but there are many better places to stay in Cairns. This is NOT a 4-star hotel!

This hotel is in need of major refurbishment!

We stayed one night and got out fast!

• Stayed July 2007
2 Thank sunnydays4
Shanecairns, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, August 8, 2007
Dear Sunnydays4,

Thank you for your comments and constructive feedback. It is important to receive customer feedback and provide us with an opportunity to rectify the issues you experienced on your recent stay. Without feedback we are unable to measure our performance in the market place.

The issues that you mentioned are very important and we acknowledge that there are still some areas that we are currently addressing in our continued upgrades. This is work in progress and like any upgrade we are excited at the prospect of a fantastic product.

Unfortunately with the proximity of the Hotel situated in the heart of the Entertainment district expectations of noise some times go with the environment. We continue to liaise closely with local Government and Hoteliers in the area to manage noise levels when they occur.

Rydges Plaza Cairns has recently passed an assessment by an independent assessor for our 4 Star rating. The assessor has also provided us with some recommendations thus giving us the tools to make future improvements to our products and services.

Sunnydays4, thank you for honest feedback and the opportunity to respond.

Warm regards,

Shane Edwards
Guam, Mariana Islands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2007

I am a frequent business visitor to Cairns. I have tried several hotels there in a quest for a reasonable standard of accommodation in this city.

Sadly, the Rydges Plaza is another bad Cairns experience for my diary.

It should be noted that, during my stay, the hotel was featured in a story in the Cairns Post titled "Shabby CBD a Disaster", with a picture showing the rundown exterior appearance of this so-called "4 Star" hotel. (This again brings into question the method by which hotels in Australia are rated, which in my experience is completely bogus).

To match the rundown exterior of the hotel, the interior is not much better. I had a room with an "updated" bed, but this did nothing to hide the worn sheets and other iinens provided, the poor water pressure in the shower, and the dingy hallways and public areas.

In the Cairns Post this hotel manager complains that the Japanese have stopped coming to his hotel costing him "millions". In my experience the Japanese tourists are among the most demanding in the world and clearly would be offended at the quality of this hotel.

• Liked — Location in CBD
  • Disliked — Hotel is a Dump
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank JimmyMc
Shanecairns, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, July 11, 2007
Dear Mr JimmyMc

I appreciate your feedback and would like to thank you for your comments.

It is important that we receive customer feedback to enable the Hotel to respond while giving us the opportunity to rectify any issues.

It is correct that we were featured in the Cairns Post as a “Shabby” building along with many other buildings in Cairns. In my response to the Cairns Post I was happy to acknowledge that we would be interested in joining a 'clean up' Cairns campaign and are in the process of finalising quotes for a full wash down and paint of the exterior.

We have recently changed our linen after the installation of our new dream beds to coincide with the new Rydges standards to be a market leader in this area.

The Japanese market is certainly important to Cairns along with all other guests including domestic and international. I do believe that Cairns is becoming a very sort after destination and along with other Hoteliers we are moving forward to ensure that our products are reaching international standards.

As a frequent traveller to Cairns I am sure you have already seen the growth in the area and the amount of change in the Tourism industry.

Please feel free to contact me, as I would be happy to discuss your feedback and ways you feel we can improve.

Warm regards,