New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #61 of 68 Hotels in Cairns
Darwin, Australia
“Overpriced but ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

The price was fairly steep and for this we were still asked to pay $10 for parking we night.

The bathroom looked older than me, definitely needs an upgrade if they think they can get away with charging that much.

The beds were comfy though and a great view and location.

The check in staff was very very very courteous (a Japanese lady).

I give it a meh score...

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank lukesalakas
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Hi Luke,
Thanks for taking the time to write us a review of your recent stay here at Rydges Plaza. Appreciate your comments regarding Yuki one of our great Front Office team members, and we agree our location is perfect and you cannot beat the Rydges Dream bed for a great night’s sleep.
Hopefully we get another chance to see you in the near future.
Rydges Plaza Cairns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed 5 nights and the rooms are ok and the bed fine. I didn't eat in but the restaurant seemed fine with a good selection of dishes. Overall the place is looking a little tired, rusty shower fittings etc. The staff were great though and it is in a very central location close to the casino and esplanade. I'd probably stay somewhere else if I was visiting cairns for pleasure and not business.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank John H
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hi John,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your recent stay at Rydges Plaza Cairns, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and you are right in saying that our location is perfect to see the best of what Cairns has to offer.
Again thank you and we do hope to get another chance to see you here at Rydges Plaza.
Innisfail, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Excellent location, rooms were decent, beds comfy and friendly service. Great price on the room. Have stayed in others that were not as central or as nice for more money. Easy walking distance for entertainment, dining or shopping. Thanks Rydges :)

Room Tip: easy walking distance for eating, entertainment and shopping. Highly recommended and a good price t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TriciaRenee
Hi TriciaRenee,
Thank you for your great review. You are right in saying that Rydges Plaza is central perfect access to everything Cairns has to offer. And yes the Rydges Dream beds always allow for a great night's sleep.
Thanks again and look forward to seeing you next time you are in Cairns
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Myself and 4 other colleagues spent 5 nights at the Rydges back in May for business.

Impressions were quite negative:

* Showers disgustingly rusty
* Dust and mould everywhere
* Dead cockroaches and hair found within bed linens
* I personally had a piece of chocolate sitting on the floor under the minibar the whole time (which means there has been no vacuuming)
* Bed bugs in one of the rooms
* Minibar items expired 4 months ago

Very happy to finally check out, some of our credit cards got charged (with no authorisation from our end) even though there was a company card on file. On top of the room charge, some of us got charged some random $50 fees which took almost a week to clear in our bank accounts.

Spoke to the hotel and barely got a reply let alone an apology.
Would definitely explore other options if I had to go back to Cairns.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank lauri2710
Hi Lauri,
I was extremely disappointed to read your review regarding your experience at Rydges Plaza Cairns. I have alerted the Executive Housekeeper about your cleanliness comments, and these areas will be of a central focus of the team to improve. Your bed bug comment is a little off the mark as we had the room professionally checked and no traces were found, though these are known to travel within guests own luggage. I have also spoken with our reception team about the comments made and though apologised at the time and via email – please accept my further apologies for the inconvenience. Being from within the hotel industry yourselves I am sure you realise mistakes can happen from time to time.

Rydges Plaza Cairns

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I stayed here for a night last week. Not a high standard of cleanliness - hairs in the bath and sink. I called someone up to have a look and they were very apologetic and offered me a room change but I didn't bother. I wasn't asked at checkout how my stay was and I thought well if they don't care enough to ask, or mention the fact that I complained, well I don't care either. I'm going up to Cairns for a week tomorrow and I will be staying elsewhere!

Room was cold at night. No heating. It's pretty cold in QLD at the moment so heating would be a plus.

Great bed, and the USB charging point and free WiFi are a plus.

• 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank McGreedy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Reception was inviting, and staff were very helpful.
Room was tidy and well maintained / cleaned. Bathroom although starting to show it's age was still in good order
Food in Lilo Restaurant was average, service was a little ordinary for dinner.
Breakfast was average, but the service was great and they make real coffee.

If you are in town on business, this place is worth a look.

1 Thank Darren P
Hi Darren
Thanks for taking the time to send in your feedback on your recent stay. We pride ourselves on our service and our reception staff are the perfect example of this. Also as mentioned there are areas that we need to pick up our game and we will be addressing these.
Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon
Brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I'll say the good things first: lovely staff, great bed.

The rest is not great, I'm afraid. The hotel was grim and smelled like old airconditioning and too much strong air freshener. The bathroom was 2-star, the carpet torn and lifting up. The website says there's a gym: you have to get a key from the front counter (if there's one available) and walk two blocks to a health club. The food was average but very overpriced, and they charged a fee for using my credit card to pay: who pays hundreds of dollars for a hotel in cash? In short, a rip-off that says it's 4-star but is nowhere near.

Room Tip: Ask for one upstairs a long way and on the side of the hotel that doesn't have the live music in...
    • 1 of 5 stars