I've stayed here a few times now and this hotel seems to be aimed at the cheaper end of the tourist market - so don't expect 5 star. Normally it's not too bad but this time it was quite disappointing.
The hotel is centrally located and the staff are friendly and efficient, however are let own by old and poorly maintained facilities.
This time my floor and room had a strong musty odour (?damp), the bed was comfortable and the air conditioner worked well. The bathroom is really dated (circa 1980s?) and in a poor state of repair with cracked tiles etc and really quite dirty with several surfaces coated in a black grime. To top it off in the morning there was no hot water- a call to reception and the lady said she would need to reset the boiler and it would take around 10 minutes- unfortunately the hot water wasn't restored in time for me to get a shower before I left (around 30 minutes). The staff were apologetic and explained that the boiler did this on a regular basis.
Room service was quick and the food pretty good, Internet is fast and $18 for 24 hours, the breakfast is typical hotel fare but hot and pretty good, check out was friendly and efficient..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modernly appointed rooms overlooking the Cairns CBD. 5 minutes walking distance from the Cairns Convention Centre, Reef Casino, dining precinct, Birch carroll and Coyle cinemas and Cairns Central shopping centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rydges Plaza Cairns reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Plaza Cairns Hotel Cairns
- Rydges Plaza Hotel Cairns
- Cairns Rydges Plaza Hotel