“Relax,look on the bright side.....”

Ranked #59 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Perth, Australia
“Relax,look on the bright side.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

After reading some of the negative reviews I think we either take a chill pill and stop being so petty. I regularly stay at Rydges and I find it a terrific place to stay.
I stay there twice a month and will continue too.

Great location, lovely help full reception and bar staff, a five minute walk to esplanade and Rustys market across the road Fridays and week ends.
Heaps of coffee shops, snack bars, etc right out side the door.

Room Tip: I always travel with ear plugs so noise not problem , their is usually a simple solution to most wee...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rod E
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hi Rod,
Thanks for the pleasant review. Your comments have been passed on to the team here and I can assure they are very appreciative. We will see your next trip to TNQ.
Rydges Plaza Cairns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

It's interesting reading the service experience other reviewers have had cos we had the exact same thing. While we encountered 1 friendly person on counter, the remaining 5 I had contact with were rude, unhelpful, inflexible and (well this will sound mean) but stupid. A colleague of mine asked for milk and they had no idea what to do. There was also a mix-up with our bookings and they acted like they never heard of us despite having our names there and even asked if we were at the right Rydges! The guy had our booking history in front of him!!! Jerk.

The room was ok but was difficult to get the temperature right. Bathroom fixtures need an upgrade but bed was comfy and most things in the room were tasteful and practical. Rooms were quite noisy (but I have found that in most places in Cairns due to the rooftop air con buzzing on every building!).

Location is pretty ordinary. If you're a tourist, I'd suggest closer to the Esplanade for a view and more things to do/places to eat.

Not having a gym onsite was a little annoying but the gym they give you access to is actually very good (good equipment and friendly staff).

Had room service breakfast which was expensive and very average. I had ordered muesli and the tray had no milk or spoon on it! Even the toast was cold and hard. Really quite poor.

Alright for one night but if I was on holidays rather than business it would hardly have created a magical experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear AusBeagle
Thank for taking the time to review us at Rydges Plaza Cairns.
I was extremely disappointed in the level of the service you have received on your recent stay with us.
I have brought this review to the attention of both the front desk manager & restaurant manager, who have discussed this with their respective teams, and reinforced the level of service that we like to adhere to.
Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope we get a chance to show you what we can do at some time in the near future.
Greenwell Point, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

I stay in a lot of hotels, and I've got to say the woman at reception today 21st May 2013, at 1.10pm was probably the rudest "service" person I have come across in a very long time. A simple request relating to the Rydges restaurant being open for lunch was met with a rude and cold response, and heavens forbid I asked for other places she might recommend near by, once again met with utter contempt from this poor excuse for a Rydges representative. Seriously Rydges needs to implement some good old fashion customer service training for this particular hotel.

The room I had (3 days) was old and dated, copious amounts of water leaking from the A/C down the wall and onto the stained carpet. The lights didnt work, but this was rectified by the maintenance guy upon request. Bathroom not too bad. Good location.

Needless to say I'm booking out a night early and will definitely not recommend staying here. I will also make a formal complaint to Rydges about their "front house" person who was simply atrocious.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Pointwilliams
Hi Mr Williams,
Firstly let me say thank you very much for your honest feedback in regards to your recent stay with us here at the Rydges Plaza.
Secondly please let me apologise for what should have been and enjoyable stay which has turned into anything but with some unprofessional service and a room that need some attention. We pride ourselves on our service and we have let ourselves down badly in this instance please be rest assured that I have spoken with all of those concerned and have put in place measures to ensure the same issues do not reoccur.
Once again my apologies
Rydges Plaza Cairns

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Bundaberg, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Rooms mouldy,damp and very smelly. The bed felt damp.The bathroom is old and covered in mould. There was spilt food in one of the lifts when we returned from Dinner about 10pm and when checking out the next morning the food was still in the lift. We advised reception and we were told " We'll get around to it" (not sure when).

The only thing going for this hotel now is it's location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skiman1972
Hi Skiman,
I was extremely disappointed to read your review regarding your experience at Rydges Plaza Cairns. I have alerted the Executive Housekeeper about your cleanliness comments, and these areas will be of a central focus of the team to improve. I have also spoken with our reception team about the comment made and we have already begun some retraining within the team. In respect to the overall hotel, I can assure you that we are continuously upgrading, and your feedback is appreciated.
Once again my apologies
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

During a recent stay, I discovered the greatest advantage that Rydges Plaza has over the many other hotels in Cairns- Its central location. You can walk to virtually everything that matters in the Cairns CBD, including the Esplanade.

We stayed in a 10th floor room- recently rennovated. Its was very comfortable and well appointed, with a contemporary decor. The bed was very good- super comfortable. The room was equippped with a feature I have not seen before- a multi-media hub that allowed almost anything to be connected to the flat-panel TV, as well as allowing for the charging of various devices. A great innovation. The bathroom was sparkling and contemporary, although a towel-rail, or two, might have been helpful.

The buffet breakfast was a delight, with a delicious range of choices on offer, including some of the best pastries I've tasted from a hotel buffet.

Thanks, too, to the friendly reception staff, who made us feel very welcome.

Room Tip: If available, ask for a room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Townsville, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were staying here for a little over a week for a relaxing 10 year anniversary celebrations with our 2 year old daughter. First thoughts of the building online and from walking into the reception were great. It was a ideal location and good service for the price but from the moment you walk into the elevator there was a strong moldy/damp smell. In the room the mold was evident on the walls, ceiling and the cabinet that the fridge was located in. Not very pleasant at all and did not feel at all like 4 Stars in the room. I understand that it is the tropics but the mold was that evident on the walls and roof that from a distance it looked like someone had grubby hands and touched the walls. More family were staying in the room next door and there room was freshly painted, much nicer presented, along with extra furniture. In our room the furniture had seen better days with the obvious wear and tear, one lamp rusting and the shade in tatters. The beds were however comfy with fresh linen. The walls looked like they had been kicked in by someone/something closest to the patio door. The bathroom was a little worse for wear (old, dripping shower head that would leave the floor wet come the morning and loose tiles.) and the panel ceiling as you walk into the room was in a very bad state. It looked like 20 years worth of rust and someone poking it with a broom, the light looked like it was hanging there and I was afraid to walk under it. Every time I walked into the bathroom the plastic diffuse on the light would lift up and any bugs that were caught in there would fall down onto the vanity. Saturday night the club across the road was going till 3am with the bass travelling through the walls waking my daughter every now and then but the remainder of the week stay was quiet and relaxing. Parking out the front of the reception was close and affordable but there was a option to park in the Rydges parking (for a fee). The buffet breakfast was a great choice of foods but could have done with a few more labels to identify each item otherwise there is a fantastic french patisserie next door and other great take outs (hence the great location). The pool has tiles missing / loose in it, quite obvious of its age, wasn't going to let the little one play. Was over charged for the internet. Overall was unhappy with the room that we were in and the state of the mold.

Room Tip: Pool is on level 4.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ninestrawberries
Brisbane Region, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Arrived late evening and just needed somewhere to stay that was close to the railway station as we were catching the Sunlander train in the morning.
Check in was easy with good service but the room (and the hotel in general) smelt very mouldy and damp - almost overpowering. Room was very tatty with missing tiles in the bathroom, filthy filters and mould clearly obvious. The bed cover had clearly seen much better days and the room furniture was not only dated but damaged and worn. I wouldn't want to spend any amount of time in the room.
Only checking a few days later I'd been charged twice for the room - seems they had used my credit card to pay for someone else's room (the room next door) as well. An email to the hotel was quickly answered and the problem resolved very quickly with a refund made immediately - but extra work for me to resolve the issue

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fareid, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear a5jce,
Thanks for the feedback on Rydges Plaza Cairns. I do apologise for the issue on the room charge, but I am pleased to hear that it was quickly rectified. I’m glad that the location of the hotel fit your travel needs. Regards, Fareid