“'The Location' very central and easy to get to where one needs too be.”

Rydges Plaza Cairns
Ranked #58 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Book in easy and quick,i have stayed pre booked by company and as a private customer,night shift guys very professional and alert. Cleaning staff doing a good job on a getting old building,good beds,bath rooms.

Room Tip: Street noise from night clubs patrons leaving after midnight disturbs sleep,i always carry ear plugs...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rod E
Fareid T, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Hi Rod E,

Thanks for your comments, they are truly appreciated and really help inspire the team to do such a wonderful job. We are happy to be the hotel you stay at for work or privately and look forward to having you back soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 25, 2012

My partner and I often stay at Rydges when we visit Cairns and love the central location of the plaza. Staff are fabulous, making booking and check in a breeze, rooms are clean and tidy with everything you need - they even have a guest laundry. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank underwaterpetsaver
Fareid T, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Hey underwaterpetsaver,

What a lovely review! Thank you for the great comments, we look forward to having you and your partner back again soon. Be sure to experience our new breakfast concept Rise on your next stay!

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Hi recently we stayed at the Rydges on Plaza in Cairns. The bed was nice and comfy I found the bathroom was clean but a bit dated but I've seen worse. The service was good and staff were friendly. It was very noisy as there is a night club on the 3rd floor of the hotel and also you are surrounded by other night clubs in the area and it happened to be a long weekend so we had three nights of noise. The location was good as you could walk to anywhere. If your young go for this one reasonably priced clean enough and right in the heart of the night club district enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue C

Hi Sue C,

The Dream bed sure make for a comfy night’s sleep in the heart of this happening city. Thank you for the kind comments about the staff, which have been passed on. Your feedback has been discussed with the F&B Management team who have taken on board and monitoring the sound levels closely.

Thanks once again,

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I've stayed at several Rydge's hotels in Australia and they've all been good. On the strength of this I booked in at the Rydge's Plaza. Front reception staff were helpful and pleasant but the hotel is tired looking and the decor throughout is worn. This was particularly noticeable in the bathroom, which for the room I stayed in, left a lot to be desired. The diffuser in the light was hanging out of the fitting, there was more mould on the tiles than was comfortable and the paint was peeling; check out the pictures. The bedroom overlooked the pool area which includes a disco/nightclub and one evening they ran sound tests for an hour and half. This was so loud, getting to sleep was difficult. Friday or Saturday nights could be a problem for rooms that side of the hotel. Breakfast was uninspiring but piped music played loud doesn't do it for me first thing in the morning. A disappointing experience overall.

Room Tip: Get a room that's not on the same side of the hotel as the pool/bar/disco
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Viminalis

Hi Viminalis,

I am happy to read that the staff were helpful and pleasant during your stay. I am disappointed to read your comments on the room/ breakfast and can ensure you have reviewed by the Management team here. We do hope you give us another opportunity on your next trip to Cairns.

Thanks for your review,

Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was the worst hotel through all my three weeks traveling in Australia. Room had moldy smell. This smell started in the reception; it was stronger on the floor hallway and maximum in the room. The strongest smell was coming from the cabinet, so I close it back right away and never open again. Chairs had lost lacquer and wood was gray. When I decided to take shower I was terrified to touch shower curtain. It look like came literally from garbage pile. The bathroom ceiling was very dusty.

Room Tip: In Cairns look for $150 rate or more
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Oleg V

Dear Oleg V

I was quite taken back by your review, I sincerely do apologise that you felt this way about the property. Our reception staff would have been more than happy to move you to a different room if requested at any time during your stay. It is a hotel policy here that shower curtains are changed regularly throughout the rooms, so this does strike me as strange. I have passed your feedback on to Housekeeping Manager to ensure this happens.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Good staff who were willing to assist with any inquiry. The internet was very expensive and no wifi. Room was okay but the whole place smelt musky. Bathroom very small with plenty of mould on the tiles. We wouldn't stay here again. If you get a room on the street it's noisy with drunken backpackers directly across the road yelling from their balconies all night. For the price it was okay but barely.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the front facing Grafton Street. Noisy with drunks yelling out till early ho...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WilliamCairns

Hey WilliamCairns,

Thanks for the great comments on the staff. Did you know our in-room internet is half price here at Rydges Plaza Cairns if you are signed up in our Priority Guest Rewards program? Your comment on the bathroom has been passed on to the Housekeeping Manager who has been working vigilantly with the team to keep things sparkling. We do hope you come back again.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I with my wife and grand daughter stayed here from 28 July to 2 August 2012 in a triple room. I booked on line from Hotel's website for breakfast included. On checking in the hotel, the staff at the reception informed me that the breakfast was included in the rates so I need not to pay any additional charges.
On checkout, to my surprise, I was told that I have to pay $19 for each member for 5 days for breakfast! I told the staff at the counter that I booked for the breakfast included and I was accordingly told that breakfast was included at the time of check in, then he did not charge any extra money at that time. But after 2 days I found that my credit card was charged $289.20. My point is that if I would have told at the time of check in, then I would have decided whether to eat the breakfast or not, particularly, there was no point in paying $19 for the child. My mistake is that I did not check the acknowledgement of my booking carefully which did not mention about the breakfast. Definitely, there is something wrong in their software because I booked the room with breakfast and the acknowledgement did not mentioned it.

The hotel is old, but well maintained. The staff is very good. The hotel is very conveniently located, near the train and Reef terminal.

Room Tip: Check the booking confirmation carefully if you book on line from hotel's web site.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Prakash M,

Thanks for your feedback.

It’s very odd that it was not communicated to you that breakfast is charged on a daily rate per person, my apologies on behalf of the team. The Front Office Manager has addressed this with the team and has also looked into the booking confirmation to ensure it is extremely clear on the inclusions.

Kind regards,