“Some What Enjoyable !!!”

Rydges Plaza Cairns
Ranked #59 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Pro: Very close to all amenities in cairns city. Close the to reef terminal and Information center also Cairns Casino. Easy to find food all round, its about 10 mins walk to Night Market. Price is average for budget users.

Con: Not like other rydges that I was staying, this is a bits old building style and poor room design. I thinks it need to be renovated. Customer Service is so so.

Room Tip: Don't stay the room facing to Spencer st as there is a bit noisy due to the pub operating at nig...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rsk888
Fareid T, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear rsk888,

Thank you for your review of Rydges Plaza Cairns.

I am please you found the location of the hotel to be ideal as a visitor to Cairns. Since the renovation of Lilo restaurant, we are currently updating our dinner and bar menu, which we hope that you can try on your next visit to Cairns.

We are consistently working towards elevating our customer service and guest amenities. I hope your next stay with us will be of a higher standard.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Plaza Cairns

Reviewed April 15, 2012

Having stayed at a number of Rydges properties before I was expecting middle of the road quality and friendly customer service.

Unfortunately what I found was a tired old building in desperate need of maintenance and front desk staff who acted like I had asked for an organ donation rather than simply a secure car space for my vehichle!!

The room itself had stains all over the roof/walls and looked as though it might have had half a renovation - they had installed a flat screen TV and this is where the renovation ended.

If you are looking for really basic accommodation, this place will do, but there are far better options at the same price point available in Cairns.

Also be aware that if you are allocated a room on the driveway side of the hotel (left if looking at the building from the street) be prepared for noise from the nightclubs across the road which seems to bounce up between the buildings.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Whitsundaze

Dear Whitsundaze,

Thank for taking the time to review us at Rydges Plaza Cairns.

I was extremely disappointed in the level of the service you have received on you stay with us.

I have brought this review to the attention of the front desk manager, who has discussed this with the team, and reinforced the level of service that we like to adhere to.

The housekeeping department has also been working diligently on an overall deep cleaning of the rooms.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Great week in Cairns. The staff at Rydges Plaza were friendly and helpful. Our room on the 10th floor was spacious and clean with a great view, the king bed very comfortable, the buffet breakfast was delicious. Superb location. Walking distance to many restaurants, the harbour, markets and shops. You don't need to hire a car unless you are going to travel a little further, maybe up to Port Douglas and beyond. Most attractions, including the Scenic Rail, Kundara village and skylift have Hotel pick up. Many attractions such as Great Barrier Reef, Fishing trips depart from the harbour which is a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Definately be visiting again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 10th floor facing the water and overlooked the swimming pool on the fourth flo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Karen T,

Thank you for your glowing review, and I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Rydges Plaza Cairns is certainly set in a prime location in the heart of the CBD.

I am happy to inform you that we have renovated our restaurant area and launched a new breakfast concept - Rise at Rydges. Please do try it out on your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.

Thanks,

Reviewed April 13, 2012

The Good stuff, kind friendly, helpful staff, they had my late check in all ready and waiting. Sweet guy at night, sweet woman in the morning. My Bed was comfortable with good linens and pillows. Good Location, never saw pool or restaurant, as I was only there one night.

The ok stuff.. Average size room, the entire place did smell of mold. In the tropics this is tricky as it needs ventilation to get rid of it. Bathrooms are dated, with cheap plastic faucets, that drip into the night, mold in the grout of all the tiles. Super expensive mini bar and snacks.. Internet 75 cents a minute with a cap of the bargain price of $29 LOL haha. The place is just not that clean, the hallways are really dirty. JUst small stuff like where they keep hotel info, the cover was all dark with dirt and coffee stains... I could hear housekeeping above me vacuming and banging kinda early.

It was a perfectly ok place to stay for one night, but not much longer. I felt safe, my bed was good, and they were friendly. It was quiet.. Just an average hotel..

Room Tip: take a room on one of the higher floors....
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Dear MadroneJack,

Thank you for your review.

Glad to hear that the service you received from our staff was of the high Rydges standard.

Since your stay, we have been working quite hard on the overall cleanliness and feel of the common areas that I can assure you is of a higher level.

For your next stay with Rydges, if you sign up to our free loyalty program, Priority Guest Rewards (PGR), you will be entitled to up to 50% off your in-room internet at any Rydges. You will also receive 20% off all full price food and beverage consumed in the restaurant and bar.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Hotel clearly older building but has been refurbed nicely. Rooms always cleaned excellently. Bathrooms in need of renovation but completely functional and clean in current form. Staff very friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank coldaussie

Dear coldaussie,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your time at Rydges Plaza Cairns.

I take on your point about the bathrooms, and some have recently been refurbished. Upon your next booking, feel free to request one of these rooms.

Thanks,

Reviewed March 20, 2012

One of the most comfortable hotel beds I've every slept in. The staff were so friendly and genuinely wanted to make sure we were looked after. Buffet breakfast was delicious. Rooms are on the small side but comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Mazza121
Fareid T, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Dear Mazza121

I was delighted to receive your feedback about your stay with us recently. Your comments have been passed on to the team that I can assure you are very appreciative.

Thanks and come back soon,

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed here on a Saturday night. I really enjoyed the LILO bar. It has a great feel to it and has a beautiful outdoor undercover area. The dj was ok when he finally arrived- he was late for work I guess. It took him too long to play my requests not the best DJ getting around that's for sure.
The location of the hotel is perfect for the night life plus for people who want to explore the city in general.
EVERYTHING is within walking distance it's great.
The hotel has had recent renovations and looks very nice. The front foyer is inviting however the night guy Paul very unpleasant, although I did stumble in a little bit tipsy to collect my key for my room at 2am.
I stayed in a deluxe room on level 9 and it was very nice. Aircon was perfect. Room was very clean and bed very comfortable.
Foxtel was a bonus however tv screen cuts out part of the picture- still watchable though.
Buffet blast in the LILO restaurant was very nice. However bread seamed a little dried out and the scrabbled eggs very runny.
But other than that there's a decent variety to chose from.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank MermaidFace
Fareid T, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Dear MermaidFace,

Thanks for your constructive feedback. Your comments about guest service, the television and breakfast have been passed on to the appropriate managers who have addressed these opportunities.

Lilo Bar sure is the venue to enjoy a few drinks in great style and our “Dream Beds” are a highlight.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Rydges Plaza Cairns.