“Perfect”

Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Nelson Bay
“Perfect”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

we stayed here for 3 nights at the end of our 2 week holiday.wish we could have stayed much longer.this place is above the nightly markets and foodcourt.directly across the road from the foreshore and pool/beach.every imaginable type of eatery is right at your doorstep.very short walk to the casino.nice pool and bbq areas..spa bath was great..definitely stay here again

Room Tip: if you are after views 3rd floor and above would be best..we stayed on 2nd floor which is where the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grant S
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Grant S
Ah! So nice to see a happy guest write a good word about us. We have many happy guests but it's not normal for one to take the time and effort to go online and tell the world. Thank you for taking the time and the effort, much appreciated.
Cheers
Brian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights prior to heading up to Palm Cove so were looking for something cost effective so that we could spend more money on Palm Cove. Hence the reason we picked the Breakfree as it was a very reasonable price for an apartment so centrally located on the Esplanade.

As others have said it is a great location and a stones throw from many restaurants, cafes and even the night markets. It is a 5 minute walk to the swimming lagoon (which every city should have - what a great idea) and a 10 minute walk to the Reef Fleet Terminal where all of the day trips leave from to go out to the reef.

We tossed up between this property and the Mantra Esplanade and decided on this one as it was slightly cheaper. Having stayed at several Breakfree and Mantra properties it is quite apparent that the Breakfree brand is the cheaper and more basic alternative in the Mantra Group. This hotel was totally adequate with good size rooms and balcony. As for the smell of the restaurants - that just made me hungry so not really an issue for us.

The only thing I will say is that we were travelling with an infant who I was hoping to cook some veggies etc for but the kitchenette has very basic amenities so I didn't bother in the end. Heinz and Rafferty's Garden were the winners here! There is a portable electric cooktop and microwave which I wouldn't have normally even noticed as hubby and I ate out every meal but if travelling with little one's its worth noting this.

The other issue we had was ants which I am fully aware comes with the territory and we were very careful not to leave food around but they somehow managed to get inside my sons tin of formula which had the lid on it so as per the managers previous comments - PUT EVERYTHING IN THE FRIDGE. Reception were very prompt in addressing this issue by giving us another ant bait to put down and the cleaner wiped the area with her magic spray but truthfully I think they just saw that as a challenge and were back with reinforcements within about 30 minutes. Not one to quit myself, I put a stop to them with some surface spray which I purchased at the local Woolworths! If anything, the hotel might provide this to those having issues.

The only cleanliness issue that we came across was with our floor. I noticed after walking about on it barefoot for a very short period that all of our feet were totally black. It didn't look dirty but obviously had only had a very basic clean prior to our arrival. Not worth reporting to management as it didn't ruin our stay.

Other than the hotel feeling quite 'dated', which to be fair I think most of the hotels in Cairns are, we loved Cairns and the vibe that it had going on and would definitely go back. I might think of trying the Mantra next time as a comparison.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kerry1076
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Kerry,

Your review is very thorough and it is clear that you have taken the time to read other reviews of Royal Harbour on TripAdvisor. Thank you for going to all that trouble.

I would like to address the perception that many people have commented on - about dirty floors. All our units except one have tiled floors throughout. These floors are vacuumed and mopped every time a unit is vacated which, on average, is every 5 days. The mopping process includes clean, hot water with detergent for each unit. Our floors are cleaned more frequently than would be the case in any domestic situation. The reason for the black feet is the balcony. If you walk on the balcony in bare feet you are bound to pick up the oily residue and carbon from nearby restaurant exhaust fans, as well as aircraft and road traffic. Even though balcony tiles are also mopped after every departure, they are exposed to the city air 24/7.

Best regards
Brisbane
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We really enjoyed staying here. Big balcony overlooking the esplanade. It was clean and comfortable. Good sized bathroom, and a comfortable bedroom. The kitchen had all we needed for a short stay and there are lots of places to eat very close by. It's a really good early morning walk along the foreshore and to the harbour. The pool was a little cool, but it was the middle of winter.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff H
Dear RedPuffin
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we would love to welcome you back one day. Thank you for taking the time to publish your review.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Normally stay here 4 times a year, NYE, April/March, June & October in total about 30 days a year.

The staff are amazing. the rooms are great and well looked after. this year I have only stayed 10 days as I've been overseas.

Room Tip: high floor and ocean view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AlansWorldTravels
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Alan

Thanks for putting your positive feedback out there, it is most appreciated, especially as I know you have stayed in many of the world's best hotels. We have a large number of return guests but not many have taken the time to lodge a review.

Looking forward to your next stay.

Gurgaon
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We chose it for its location and were delighted to see that the property is right at the centre of Cairns City scene with the Promenade right below our apartment which also overlooked the beautiful lagoon pool as part of Cairns Esplanade.

Night markets (kiosks selling mainly souvenirs and chinese massage shops) are right below the property as are busy food halls whose kitchens spew out intense aromas all day so if you are hungary, they are appealing otherwise appalling. The ground floor doors of the hotel open onto the main restaurant street of Cairns. So if you want action with a seafront location, this is one of the good value for money properties.

Apartments are spacious and there is a double sofa cum bed in the living room cum kitchenette opening onto a reasonable sized balcony overlooking Cairns harbour, esplanade and the promenade. While the main bedroom is very small, the beds were comfortable, which was not the case with the sofa cum bed. It was sagging in the middle making sound sleep impossible. Must say that the hotel acted promptly to provide another bed, but it turned out to be of the same kind so we gave up.

Room Tip: Request for higher floors to avoid noise and food aromas from food court kitchen exhausts
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Deepak B
Dear Deepak B

Many thanks for your review, not much I can say in reply except that our great location close to many restaurants in the most popular part of Cairns is bound to provide those appealing or appalling aromas, depending on how hungry you are.

Our beds are great and we get many favourable comments about them, but it's not fair to expect a sofa bed to be as comfortable.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Just arrived and been shocked of the attitude of the on site manager. All I'm asking is can I get some beach towels, the answer I got is "No thing I can help" and "nobody ask this kind of question at 11 at night".I'm leaving for the reef at 7am but their reception is not open until 8am, what else I'm I suppose to do except calling the after hour service!! By the way, plenty of ants in the room!!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Helenhl
Dear Helenhi

Your review is not correct! I am the on-site Manager and I have never spoken to you or anyone else at 11pm about pool towels. How can you say you were shocked by the attitude of the onsite manager when you did not speak to me? If your claim is not a false one generated by one of our competitors then I suggest that what happened is that your call was diverted to our Nite Operator - this is a call centre on the Gold Coast that handles hundreds of hotels that do not operate a reception desk 24/7. The Nite Operator has instructions to contact me in emergency situations only (I have a life too!). Your request for a pool towel at 11pm was not deemed an emergency situation - quite rightly.

As a result of your review I have placed a basket of pool towels outside of the locked reception area so that late arrivals such as yourself may take a pool towel for their reef trips the next morning.

As far as the ants are concerned, this is a year round issue in Tropical North Queensland. The ants will never go away but you can minimise their presence by ensuring absolutely everything edible is stored away - preferably in the fridge.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel is very well located, and for us, was just good because we stayed only 3 days.

Room was a bit dated but spa worked ok and beds, couches were comfortable. Is good value for money.

The only downer was that reception is not open only until 8:00 am in the morning, and they give you keys that you have to drop but there is not a box anywhere that you can see so, if you check out early, you had to call the reception, and they could not tell me where the safe was so I have to drop (expensive keys), into the hole of reception, hope they found them. Staff in reception was not very friendly and did not explain this when we arrive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Natalia3611

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found your room comfortable and good value. But you are in a group of one when you say our our reception staff were not friendly. I will defend them vehemently because they are the most friendly and efficient staff I have ever seen - anywhere! We do not discuss early departure procedure with every guest as most guests don't need to know and we want to get you to your room as soon as we can. Most guests who leave early ask in advance and are advised to push their keys through the security grill of the reception area.