We stayed at BreakFree Royal Harbour for 10 nights while in Cairns for Ironman. We had a one bedroom apartment on the 7th floor (northern side of the building) that overlooked the esplanade and the location was unbeatable. Stunning views out over the water and we could walk out the door and be at a cafe or be swimming in the lagoon within seconds.
The apartment itself was well laid out and was sufficient for the reasonable amount of self-catering we wanted to do - half sized fridge, portable hotplate, microwave and toaster were on hand, as was a washing machine. The BBQs on the second level were also great. The only possible thing lacking is a dishwasher - something to consider when the rooms next get upgraded.
The only disappointment (and stopping the rating being a 5/5) was the lack of wifi while we were there. We had specifically searched for a place with wifi internet access (as the place we stayed at on the same trip in 2012 was lacking this facility) and so it was disappointing to arrive and find that the wifi service wasn't working. It was even more disappointing later in our stay for the manager to claim that it had been out for only 2 days when I complained about it - I had to point out to him that we had been there a week by that stage and it hadn't worked in all the time we were there. His attitude was that we could use the free wifi available on the Esplanade and so he didn't seem to think it was much of a problem or that there was much he could do about it.
I would have appreciated it more if he had shown a bit more concern about not being able to provide a facility that they advertise as one of the room services but it wasn't to be. A token gesture to acknowledge their failure would have gone a long way to restore my faith.
The rest of the stay was faultless, however will we stay at BreakFree again when we return next year? I don't know. Part of me says yes, however the wifi experience may well encourage us to continue looking at alternatives for our annual Cairns trips.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cairns is the primary gateway to the Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest and Tropical North Queensland's outback. From a great waterfront location overlooking Trinity Bay and the spectacular Cairns Lagoon, BreakFree Royal Harbour is perfectly positioned for guests to enjoy the best of this vibrant tropical city. The resort is within walking distance of Cairns CBD and the bustling hub of the Esplanade's restaurants and cafes. The famous Cairns Night Markets are on the hotel's doorstep and the Reef Casino is nearby. BreakFree Royal Harbour offers self-contained one bedroom garden spas with a private courtyard and one bedroom ocean view spa apartments with a private balcony all including kitchenettes, laundry facilities, spa, air conditioning, internet access, ironing facilities, hair dryer, digital TV and a VHS/DVD player. From the level two pool deck, guests can enjoy views of the ocean, Cairns Lagoon and the passing parade of marine vessels heading out to the Great Barrier Reef. Guests can enjoy recreational facilities including a swimming pool with sun deck and shade, gymnasium and BBQ facilities. Cairns is a city of many moods. The crisp clear air of its mornings, the tropical warmth of its days, as well as balmy nights lit by the moon shining over Trinity Bay offer an unmatched appeal and BreakFree Royal Harbour is the place to enjoy it. Please note: For guests arriving by car, including taxi, please arrive at our rear entrance where Reception and car parking is located - Level 1, 60 Abbott Street. This is above the Night Markets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breakfree Royal Harbour Hotel Cairns
- Breakfree Royal Harbour Cairns