“Really Nice hotel, good location.”

Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed April 2, 2010

We stayed here on our last stop before heading home, and after coming from Hamilton Island we had high expectations. Now Cairns does not quite have the same visual impact that HI does, but we actually loved Cairns.

The Shangri-la is a great hotel, our hotel room was great. We had recieved an upgrade via our travel agents (Trailfinders), so the room was bigger than the 'standard rooms' and we also got a Marina View. I would like to say that although the room was lovely, the Marina view was poor as we were at the far end of the hotel and could only just see the Marina, also our room was SO far away from reception..... it honestly took us about 10minutes to walk it! We didn't have dinner in the hotel, but did have a snack one day at the bar/restaurant and it was lovely. The bathroom in our room was also stunning with a glass wall between it and the bedroom.. a nice touch.

The independent restaurants along the front of the hotel are good, the Waterfront or Waterside (can't remember) restaurant is exceptionally good with a great atmosphere.

If you carry on walking along past the restaurants you will come to Cairns Esplanade which is a massive outdoor lagoon swimming pool for eveyone to use. We went down there one day and just spent some time lazing about, it was great. Everyone uses it and there is quite a buzz. There is a huge grass area, sand, open bar-b-q's, cafes, shops and sometimes there are even bands playing.

We also went up to Kuranda one day, this is definitely worth a trip... if only for the sky rail ride and train back down.. I also got to cuddle a Koala so I was quite happy! If you do go up there you get the option to pay extra for the Gold Class carriage on the way back down... do this! The other carriages are quite cramped, where as the Gold Class is quite luxurious and you get free drinks/snacks and it actually makes it a really enjoyable part of the day.

All in all, Cairns and the Shangri-la were fantastic and we will hopefully return one day!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mandymoo32
Write a ReviewReviews (2,662)

Reviewed April 1, 2010

I loved the groovy modern lobby of the hotel and the quiet comfort of my bay-view room. The little triangular balcony was a great place to sit and watch the sun go down with a glass of wine after a day of touristing at the great barrier reef or kuranda rain forest. I got a great deal on the room -- stay 2 nights, get the third night free. I took advantage of the large soaking tub and the free internet access, which I found to be the exception for hotels in Australia and New Zealand, and which I heartily appreciated.

The location couldn't be more perfect. Right along the marina, it's literally across the street from the Reef Fleet terminal where the boats leave for day drips to the reef. The bottom floor of the hotel connects to a shopping center, and all along the harbour are probably a dozen open-air restaurants, mostly seafood, but there were options to suit any taste, and with a great view and some good people-watching. The hotel is downright huge, and contained a pretty impressive pool atrium with tropical foliage and its own bar. There was also an atrium with sort of a rainforesty garden.

The Shangri-La in Cairns was a very cool, comfortable place to stay, and if I'm ever lucky enough to visit Cairns again, I would choose it again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank WanderingSusan123
Reviewed March 31, 2010

The hotel was amazing. Will be using it all the time when in cairns. Rooms are as i expect ( CLEAN) ! Great view of the waterways and city. Staff very help full , Great buffet breaky

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank jorrz
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I was traveling alone and decided to stay in an area in walking distance to everything so I wouldn't be bored. The hotel is in a great location. I made sure to stay at a top quality hotel because my experience has been (when traveling internationally) that what the hotel might rate 4 stars, I would rate a low 3 stars. The Shangri-La has a wonderful reputation. I was in a regular room. I quickly saw a ton of ants invading my bathroom. I called and someone with a can of Raid was sent within 5 minutes. Because of my allergies, I couldn't stay in a room that now smelled like chemicals. The hotel staff quickly moved me and upgraded me to an ocean view room. However, there were ants in that room too. I didn't bother to call because the ants are just typical of the climate. What I do have issue with is the bathroom. It was horrible. It needed updating. The towels were very rough and low quality. I didnt want to be one of those complaining Americans so I just left it alone. I did write a bad review and the manager wrote me a letter apologizing. If I were to stay again, I would definitely upgrade to the highest quality room. However, I doubt I would stay there again. I would recommend with caution if you are nitpicky.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank AD2265
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Currently staying at the Shangri-La at Cairns and it has been a really pleasurable experience. We arrived early, with transfer from the airport being arranged at our request by the hotel, and experienced a very friendly greeting by the guy collecting our baggage and by reception. It is amazing how this initial positive experience puts you in a good frame of mind.
We are staying in a Horizon Club room and we were shown up to the Horizon Club lounge - and our room was available about 5 minutes later - not expected but we were grateful to get into our room early. One of the great assets of this hotel and the Horizon Club, is Maria - who was lovely, extremely friendly and helpful and made a great restaurant recomendation (Tamarind) and arranged a booking for us.
The Horizon Club rooms are very comfortable with great views over the marina. As the weather was wet, we were not troubled by any noise at night. Beds, as others have mentioned, are very very good.
Drinks and canapes in the Lounge before dinner were good - with a wide selection of food. Whilst in the lounge, housekeeping somehow managed to provide a turn down service in our room , which was welcome.
When we arrived at Tamarind restaurant, we had a great table, and were looked after very well there - very tasty, beautifully prepared asia food.
Excellent selection for breakfast in the Horizon Club - but it was busy and they needed more staff on.
Overall we have loved staying at the Shangri-La - every interaction with staff has been warm and positive - highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CassGeorge
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Really enjoyed staying here.

Large rooms with great views of harbour or marina. There is an outdoor pool and sun area.

Not much going on in Cairns other than the usual trips. Found the barrier reef and Kuranda dissappointing but the Cape Tribulation trip fair value (mainly down to the knowledgeable guide). Beware that local trips to barrier reef can get cancelled so safer to book from Port Douglas.

Bars and restaurant at the back of the hotel complex worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank OldP
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Northern Queensland is very hot and humid at this time of the year but obviously a visit to the Great Barrier Reef cannot be missed. If you can afford it go on a cruise from Cairns to Townsville for 4 days. If not Cairns is great for short reef trips.
We stayed at the Shangri La. This group has a v good reputation. However Australian employees at this hotel have not been on the programme. Our initial problems were rapidly sorted by the duty manager but there should not have been any problems. This is not a purpose built Shangri La and would have come with the existing staff-which shows. I doubt this one will stay in the Shangri La group for long. Dont misunderstand this still a good hotel its just not a Shangri La

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple