“Shangri la -modern comfort , fantastic position”

Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“Shangri la -modern comfort , fantastic position”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed for three nights early June and had a great experience.
On arrival, having been to a lot of Asian hotels we thought the styling was a little austere. But, we fell in love. This hotel is in a great position for taking a stroll, the markets etc. We had an Horizon club room overlooking the Marina and as we are both early risers sitting on "the dock of the bay watching the sun coming up" (not down) was very special. The room was very pleasant , recently refurbished and with lots of room and the bathroom was terrific. A motorized blind could be placed over the glass wall between bedroom and bathroom but opened for an airy light filled feeling during the day. The staff were very attentive if something was needed. The view from our room (Horizon club over the Marina,)was a joy.When sitting on the patio, there was some ambient noise . We enjoyed this and it enticed us to go down to the bar and have a drink and get amongst it . If you love total quiet once the sliding glass doors were closed , total silence.
We were close to many restaurants -The Salt House is a Must go , North was great and if you enjoy a steak ,not my thing, but my partner loved it, the Watergrill and Bar - they also have seafood, fish and pasta amongst other stuff which looked delicious coming out, but it is all about the steaks, ribs (Wow) and great atmosphere.
The hotel was in a good. position. It is only a short stroll into the heart of he "CBD ", along the boardwalk and some many dining choices right there.

What could be improved on? The corridors are very long, OK that's a given, got
over that. However, we read on the net that we would be welcomed and checked in at the club lounge and for this to happen would have been good. It did not happen, and we had some trouble working out light switches etc.
Also breakfast is included in the price of a club room , however, and this is the fist time I have come across it , there is a surcharge of $10.00 if you want to have breakfast in the main restaurant, "North." as opposed to the club. I have never experienced this before, it has always been the customers choice where they choose to have breakfast given that it is already paid for, and I thought it was a little "cheap" of a hotel with the brand name Shangri La.
The pool was very nice but cold!! but I think the time of year may have had some thing to do with that. I hope they have more umbrellas available when warmer, only one,available.! I would recommend this hotel. I did not look at any other rooms but the refurbished Horizan club room was certainly up to standard as was the general amenity of he public spaces and the positive, helpful and caring attitude of the staff( They are an absolute credit to you)
On the net our room showed the patio with cushions on he wooden benches. They were not supplied and we moved the couch cushions outside because it was all about the view over the marina. If it is shown on the net then it should be there!
Would I go again? Definitely!

Room Tip: Horizon recently refurbished and great view over the Marina.Also lots of room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed in a Horizon Club suite for both business and leisure. Check-in was slow and the room wasn't ready. I appreciated the waiting area, however. It was a relief to be able to sit after a lot of travel. The staff was helpful and friendly. I loved the large windows and glass shower, but was a bit disappointed the room didn't have a sound system aside from the television and had no outlet for an mp3 player or iphone, ipod, etc.. The stores below were convenient. I rather enjoyed the labyrinthine halls and simple decor, but the cleaning staff was awful! I quickly learned they didn't always make the bed, didn't pick up and didn't always empty the garbage. More than once, I had to call them or find someone to bring fresh towels, etc.. For doing work, the Internet was sometimes iffy, though the music from the restaurant below didn't come through much. I might recommend it to families with kids, but you might wish to bring towels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
South Mission Beach, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel is in a lovely location, easy to walk places around the city, comfortable and spacious rooms. We had a standard room with view to the city, which was very pleasant. Lots of facilities, shops and eateries in this complex. We stay in Cairns quite often and never new about the choice of restaurants at this location.

Room Tip: All the rooms have balconies with views, so it depends whether you want a sea view, which is more ex...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
NicODonnell, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Sonia B,

Thank you for your lovely review and so pleased to know you had a most enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are up in Cairns.

Christchurch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have stayed at the Shangrila La Cairns twice now, and both times enjoyed the stay. The decor was in need of bringing into the 2013's but was tidy and relatively presentable. Rooms were very comfortable, one stay was on the city side, and another stay in a garden room. Swimming pools were lovely and very enjoyable. My only concerns were that the corridors within the hotel were very long and confusing to find your room, some signage would have been very helpful, and the service at the pool bar was well below par for a 'top end' hotel, and easy to rectify. Apart from that the location was great with access directly to the restaurants on the boardwalk, and and easy few minutes walk into the shopping areas. Reception service was professional, but perhaps a little too much so as some personal acumen would have given a 10/10. All good otherwise and would recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Rosa026,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your stay with us back in November.

I appreciate your feedback on the signage throughout the hotel and we will certainly look into what we can do to make it easier for guests to navigate around the property. I have also spoken to our Food & Beverage Manager regarding the service at the Pool bar and the next time you visit you should see some improvements in the service.

We do look forward to the next opportunity we have to welcome you back the next time you are visiting Cairns.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was my first destination in a week and a half stay in northern QLD. On arrival to Shangri-La i was greeted by friendly staff who struck up conversation. I was in a room big enough for myself and probably three more people, thanks to an upgrade deal offered! Had a lovely view over the esplanade and sea view. The room was well presented and housecleaning maintained a fantastic standard including turn down service!
Had the privilege to meet more friendly staff, happy to assist how they could while serving complimentary drinks and canapes or the morning buffet breakfast. On leaving was very impressed how professional the staff were, service with a smile!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear kath_t86,

We are absolutely delighted that you had such a memorable experience with us as the start to your Tropical North Queensland holiday. I want to thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with your fellow travellers and for also allowing me the opportunity to share more great feedback with the dedicated team we are so lucky to have.

I hope that your travels will bring you back to Cairns and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever that may be...

Point Cook, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed for 8 nights in a marina view suite. I found the staff to be very warm and great hosts. Felt right at home. Loved the little things, like turn down service for the bed, bed slippers, news paper each morning. I took the horizon club offer and enjoyed the evening drinks and canapes with the other guests. I found the breakfasts the same choices each day, so after a few days was a bit boring in choices.
The room was great and the extra for the view was worth it. What stood out for me was the staff, they were absoluteley fantastic, from managers right through to the cleaners, loved them all.
Will definateley return for another stay. Cost wise was abit pricey, but definateley got the royal treatment and made me feel very special.

Room Tip: The Rooms facing the marina have amazing views, my favourite.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Frank M,

I am delighted to read that you had a most enjoyable 8 night stay with us. Thank you indeed for your lovely endorsement of our Horizon Club Rooms - they are definitely worth the little bit extra.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding the breakfast selections. I have spoken to our Executive Chef who is looking into the current breakfast offerings to ensure there sufficient variety from day to day. This is certainly something that will be appreciated by all of our guests, especially those on longer stays.

We look forward to welcoming you back again when you next find yourself visiting the Tropical North.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed 3 nights on a business trip. This is not a usual Shangri-La Hotel , which i have stayed in many in Asia, it was a Radisson and then sold off to Shangri-La so the style is totally NON Shangri-la..... hence why charge Shangri-la prices??? Since USD is now on a par with AUD so i paid about AUD 180 / night and breakfast which i did not take is another AUD 30 each, so overall it is a lot to pay for Cairns. Partly due to the very overvalued AUD, which i have ingrained in my mind as worth about USD 60 cents, so definitely AUD is hugely overvalued.

Have to day the lobby and rooms are good conditions but worn due to age and design is outdated. As said this is built as a resort not a business hotel and also not a Shangri-la so it shows. It maybe better for this to be changed to another brand, perhaps Shangri-la resort or something...

The personnel are very friendly and service in general are very good. The room hardware are old fashioned including the phone, and the elevator going to your floor and then a long walk to outside and then inside again, is kind of a strange design.

i may want to try a more business friendly hotel for my next trip, i think Cairns is too much a vacation town and it will have to get used to "how to be business friendly" someday

Room Tip: strange design so elevator takes you to the floor and then you go through automatic swinging door to...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Youngleungtung
Gurpreet G, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Youngleungtung,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent trip to Cairns.

We are disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations and do hope we have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Shangri-La the next time you find yourself visiting Cairns.

Gurpreet Gulati