“Has potential to regain former glory”
Review of Palm Royale Cairns

Palm Royale Cairns
Ranked #29 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My family and I stayed for one night as we had a function to attend in Cairns. We used a discount booking site and got a very very good deal.
The pool looked lovely, sadly we didn't have time to use it, parking wasn't an issue, found a convenient spot as needed and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The distance from town worked for us as our function was near by and if previous reviewers had read the blurb, as we did about the resort they would have read that it is out of town, they don't keep it a secret.

We had booked a family room but ended up with two rooms with a connecting door, lots of space with two of everything, bathroom, tv etc etc. Our rooms were fine, clean and tidy although the décor was a little tired but not so you would complain about it, it wouldn't surprise me if the rooms were still incorporating some of the original 1990's furniture. Our bed was extremely comfortable. It is a shame the we couldn't leave the veranda door open at night but we do understand. The tv is older but hey, who cares, we didn't book the room to sit and watch tv, we only needed a room to sleep in.
The one thing that really brought my review down was the walk way from the lift to our room. When the lift door opened it was a bit of a shock, the floors, veranda railings and walls were very worn and tired with paint peeling off all over and the door to our room looked like it had gone through a war, very very shabby indeed. I am sure that work is being done to bring this tired area up to scratch as money is made available, well I hope it is anyway.
Yes I would stay here again, the price we paid was so good that the tired walkway and door could be forgiven.

Room Tip: If you can get a discount price then it is definitely good value for money
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
damian l, General Manager at Palm Royale Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Traveller

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. I will be discussing your comments with my team in order to serve customers better in the future. I am particularly appreciative that you found that the resort was good value for money. As we are in peak season addressing some of the maintenance issues is hard with such high occupancy. However, in quieter times we will be working on some of the areas you have commented on. Once again thank you for your feedback and I wish you safe travels.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Was there for 9 days and enjoyed myself. Found the hotel to be very clean and nice, the staff were very helpful and kind people. The food at the hotel was nice with a big breakfast and also had two swimming pools which I never had a swim in as I was on trips everyday. My conclusion to my time spend in Palm Royale Cairns was this nice room with a soft bed, nice bathroom and helpful/kind staff but is a bit far to the central of Cairns and cost $20 for a taxi into the centre of the city or you can get a bus which take you into the city but only from the morning to 7-8 in the afternoon. Then you have to get a taxi, I would go back to this hotel but would not stay as long.

Room Tip: always read reviews of places and compare people ideas of the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Most importantly, this hotel is 6 kilometres from the central part of Cairn. A $20 taxi fare. However it is located across the road from Raintrees Shopping Centre which have just about everything the budget traveler could wish for. Great food court.
Back to the Hotel.
Pro: Good air-conditioning, good staff, very good clean pools, OK breakfast. Located next to shops. Hotel Courtesy Bus ($4 each way) and Public Bus service to Cairns nearby. Room servicing is good. Many tours on offer with pick-up from the hotel.
Cons: Some beds are very old. The showers spray water all over the floor due to poor design. Some rooms a subject to a lot of road noise. Too far from Central Cairns where all the night-life and restaurants etc are. Old TVs, old radio clocks, old safes (key rental is $2 per day would you believe?) and very expensive Wi-fi. This part of Cairns is not a safe area to walk around at night time.
Summary: I stayed for 12 nights in two different rooms. OK at the right price.

Room Tip: Check the bed before you accept the room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My daughter & I have just spent 7 nights at Palm Royale Cairns, it was one of those internet deals & the travel agent tried to persuade me to go to Port Douglas and I'm so pleased we didn't. The room was more than adequate with a lovely view of one of the pools, we were in Room 209, above the breakfast café. I particularly loved the 25 metre lap pool (of which I had all to myself most of the time) & the fact that in all our time there we didn't have to fight for a lounger at any time! All the staff were very pleasant & very helpful. They have a bus to take you into town for $8 return & they also have a 'sister' hotel where there are 2 restaurants & they transport you there for free! The façade is a bit dilapidated & in need of repair but it didn't detract from the wonderful service we received.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Julia D
damian l, General Manager at Palm Royale Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Traveller
Thank you for your recent feedback. As always I will discuss your comments with the team.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Palm Royale was very affordable. Can't complain of the cost. A long way from the action if you do not have a vehicle. The resort is quite tired and in need of some basic repair and a good paint job. The bed was the worst I have slept in. Very strange that they still have
Analogue TV and not Digital. I questioned one of the guys on reception and got some story that they had a contract with a supplier for Analogue. If that is the case a simple set top box could be supplied for each room. They do have a lift in each block. That is good except the one in our block had a terrible odor. A good clean would have helped. Good daily service and our room was kept clean. Mostly street parking.

Room Tip: Not the best location and a bit tired but good value.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Don't let the price fool you. One of the cheapest properties in Cairns but great value for money. The resort is designed around two gorgeous swimming pools and the landscaped gardens create a true tropical oasis. The rooms are comfortable and clean if not a little worn. Our room comfortably slept three with a lovely view of the lagoon pool. I would be very happy to stay again. We had a rental car which made getting to the hotel and in and out of the city easy but I believe there are also good public transport links and a hotel airport shuttle.

Room Tip: Request a pool view room overlooking the lagoon on the third level.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Traveller

Thank you for your recent feedback. I am especially happy to hear that you felt like you got value for money. I will pass on your comments to my team and I hope to receive you back at Palm Royale in the future.
Wishing you safe travels.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Palm Royale Cairns for 4 nights. The hotel was so out of town (5 to 10 klm) and we did not chance it by walking into town due to the police signs on the hotel sliding doors and being advised against it. We suffered from sleep deprivation because of it, no alarm was required as the flock of white cockatoos are more than happy to wake you up with their sqwarking every morning. The pool and surrounding grounds were lovely, however the rooms were quite basic. We had an extra loud airconditioning system that made it hard to sleep at night, it sounded like a plane taking off. Lucky there was a ceiling fan, even though it looked like it was about to take off as well. The walls had dead mosquito remains on them and our bathroom door did not close at all, just as well that I was travelling with a close friend and not a stranger. Overall the staff was lovely, however the hotel needs to be modernised and renovated where necessary.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Traveller
Thank you for providing us with some feedback about your stay. Guest feedback is very important to us as we can use this as a platform to move forward. I will be discussing your comments with my team so we can serve our guests better in the future.
Warm regards and safe travels.