“Tired”

Ranked #31 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Adelaide, Australia
“Tired”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Palm Royale was very affordable. Can't complain of the cost. A long way from the action if you do not have a vehicle. The resort is quite tired and in need of some basic repair and a good paint job. The bed was the worst I have slept in. Very strange that they still have
Analogue TV and not Digital. I questioned one of the guys on reception and got some story that they had a contract with a supplier for Analogue. If that is the case a simple set top box could be supplied for each room. They do have a lift in each block. That is good except the one in our block had a terrible odor. A good clean would have helped. Good daily service and our room was kept clean. Mostly street parking.

Room Tip: Not the best location and a bit tired but good value.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Don't let the price fool you. One of the cheapest properties in Cairns but great value for money. The resort is designed around two gorgeous swimming pools and the landscaped gardens create a true tropical oasis. The rooms are comfortable and clean if not a little worn. Our room comfortably slept three with a lovely view of the lagoon pool. I would be very happy to stay again. We had a rental car which made getting to the hotel and in and out of the city easy but I believe there are also good public transport links and a hotel airport shuttle.

Room Tip: Request a pool view room overlooking the lagoon on the third level.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
damian l, General Manager at Palm Royale Cairns, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Traveller

Thank you for your recent feedback. I am especially happy to hear that you felt like you got value for money. I will pass on your comments to my team and I hope to receive you back at Palm Royale in the future.
Wishing you safe travels.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Palm Royale Cairns for 4 nights. The hotel was so out of town (5 to 10 klm) and we did not chance it by walking into town due to the police signs on the hotel sliding doors and being advised against it. We suffered from sleep deprivation because of it, no alarm was required as the flock of white cockatoos are more than happy to wake you up with their sqwarking every morning. The pool and surrounding grounds were lovely, however the rooms were quite basic. We had an extra loud airconditioning system that made it hard to sleep at night, it sounded like a plane taking off. Lucky there was a ceiling fan, even though it looked like it was about to take off as well. The walls had dead mosquito remains on them and our bathroom door did not close at all, just as well that I was travelling with a close friend and not a stranger. Overall the staff was lovely, however the hotel needs to be modernised and renovated where necessary.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Traveller
Thank you for providing us with some feedback about your stay. Guest feedback is very important to us as we can use this as a platform to move forward. I will be discussing your comments with my team so we can serve our guests better in the future.
Warm regards and safe travels.
Cairns
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed here for six days while attending to family business in Cairns. We had a great stay in this well priced no frills resort.
Pros:
Two lovely pools
Tropical gardens surrounding rooms
Large very clean room, we had a pool view and balcony which was very pleasant to sit on in the afternoon
King Size bed
Good Size bathroom
Daily housekeeping
Very friendly, efficient staff
In house breakfast available
right next door to shopping centre
Good supply of complementary tea/coffee
Shuttle bus available
Elevator
3 guest laundries

Could be cons but did not worry us, especially with the great prices they charge:
Air con pretty noisy
Out of the main part of town so you need a car
Not a lot of parking so you may have to park on the street at night
Buildings getting a bit run down but does not affect your room or stay

All things considered this is a great place to stay especially for the price. We will stay here again when we next come to Cairns.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fayvans
damian l, General Manager at Palm Royale Cairns, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Traveller

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our resort and will return. I will discuss your comments with my team in order to serve our guests better in the future. Once again thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments.
Warm Regards
Ohio
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel is very out of town. So much so you really could not walk it, and we were told on several occasions not to walk anywhere after 9:00. The area did not feel that unsafe,but I listen to the locals. Once we rented a car, the location was great, away from the downtown party scene. Rooms were decent and front desk friendly. There is a Red Rooster across the street and a shopping plaza too, but everything shuts down at 9, so if your plane gets in late, plan on buying cup-of-soup from the front desk. Internet is pricey, $5 an hour, but typical for Australia. Pool looks great, but it was too cold to swim. Parking is free.

Room Tip: These are motel style with outdoor entry.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brianne P
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Loved this hotel. Always has a room available even in school holidays. Asked for the best room available last night and spent $75 on a double room balcony overlooking the pool everything clean and beds comfy. Very happy with this one we will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Laura F
damian l, General Manager at Palm Royale Cairns, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Laura
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor. I happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and felt we offered value for money. I will pass on your comments to the team and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Friend booked on Internet and not being savvy had not checked location. So that was surprise. We bought the 3-day bus pass but found the timetable limited so hired car. As it was raining a bit we also made day trips rather than lounge by pool as had been our plan. Whole building is rather shabby and reception entrance appears dominated by sad 'shop' and a large drinks machine. The staff are terrific - Sonsri and Mark could not have been more pleasant, helpful and welcoming. My room was OK but my friend's smelled damp. I was overlooking the cafe which meant being woken early by noise from staff and guests. The noise of other guests coming up from poolside or balconies was a bit irritating in the later evening but all up I slept we'll on my very comfortable bed.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank tassiejane
Dear Traveller

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that the resort and location did not meet your expectations. Our amenities shop has recently been added and has received lots of positive comments, again I am sorry you felt it wasn't up to standard.
As always I will discuss your comments with my team in order to serve our guests better in the future and I will certainly pass on your kind words about Sonsri and Mark. Once again thank you for your valuable feedback.