“Our stay at Palm Royale Cairns”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Palm Royale Cairns

Palm Royale Cairns
Ranked #31 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“Our stay at Palm Royale Cairns”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Palm Royale Cairns for 4 nights. The hotel was so out of town (5 to 10 klm) and we did not chance it by walking into town due to the police signs on the hotel sliding doors and being advised against it. We suffered from sleep deprivation because of it, no alarm was required as the flock of white cockatoos are more than happy to wake you up with their sqwarking every morning. The pool and surrounding grounds were lovely, however the rooms were quite basic. We had an extra loud airconditioning system that made it hard to sleep at night, it sounded like a plane taking off. Lucky there was a ceiling fan, even though it looked like it was about to take off as well. The walls had dead mosquito remains on them and our bathroom door did not close at all, just as well that I was travelling with a close friend and not a stranger. Overall the staff was lovely, however the hotel needs to be modernised and renovated where necessary.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
damian l, General Manager at Palm Royale Cairns, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Traveller
Thank you for providing us with some feedback about your stay. Guest feedback is very important to us as we can use this as a platform to move forward. I will be discussing your comments with my team so we can serve our guests better in the future.
Warm regards and safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
Cairns
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed here for six days while attending to family business in Cairns. We had a great stay in this well priced no frills resort.
Pros:
Two lovely pools
Tropical gardens surrounding rooms
Large very clean room, we had a pool view and balcony which was very pleasant to sit on in the afternoon
King Size bed
Good Size bathroom
Daily housekeeping
Very friendly, efficient staff
In house breakfast available
right next door to shopping centre
Good supply of complementary tea/coffee
Shuttle bus available
Elevator
3 guest laundries

Could be cons but did not worry us, especially with the great prices they charge:
Air con pretty noisy
Out of the main part of town so you need a car
Not a lot of parking so you may have to park on the street at night
Buildings getting a bit run down but does not affect your room or stay

All things considered this is a great place to stay especially for the price. We will stay here again when we next come to Cairns.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fayvans
damian l, General Manager at Palm Royale Cairns, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Traveller

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our resort and will return. I will discuss your comments with my team in order to serve our guests better in the future. Once again thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments.
Warm Regards
Ohio
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel is very out of town. So much so you really could not walk it, and we were told on several occasions not to walk anywhere after 9:00. The area did not feel that unsafe,but I listen to the locals. Once we rented a car, the location was great, away from the downtown party scene. Rooms were decent and front desk friendly. There is a Red Rooster across the street and a shopping plaza too, but everything shuts down at 9, so if your plane gets in late, plan on buying cup-of-soup from the front desk. Internet is pricey, $5 an hour, but typical for Australia. Pool looks great, but it was too cold to swim. Parking is free.

Room Tip: These are motel style with outdoor entry.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brianne P
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Loved this hotel. Always has a room available even in school holidays. Asked for the best room available last night and spent $75 on a double room balcony overlooking the pool everything clean and beds comfy. Very happy with this one we will definitely be back.

1 Thank Laura F
damian l, General Manager at Palm Royale Cairns, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Laura
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor. I happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and felt we offered value for money. I will pass on your comments to the team and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Friend booked on Internet and not being savvy had not checked location. So that was surprise. We bought the 3-day bus pass but found the timetable limited so hired car. As it was raining a bit we also made day trips rather than lounge by pool as had been our plan. Whole building is rather shabby and reception entrance appears dominated by sad 'shop' and a large drinks machine. The staff are terrific - Sonsri and Mark could not have been more pleasant, helpful and welcoming. My room was OK but my friend's smelled damp. I was overlooking the cafe which meant being woken early by noise from staff and guests. The noise of other guests coming up from poolside or balconies was a bit irritating in the later evening but all up I slept we'll on my very comfortable bed.

1 Thank tassiejane
Dear Traveller

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that the resort and location did not meet your expectations. Our amenities shop has recently been added and has received lots of positive comments, again I am sorry you felt it wasn't up to standard.
As always I will discuss your comments with my team in order to serve our guests better in the future and I will certainly pass on your kind words about Sonsri and Mark. Once again thank you for your valuable feedback.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Where do you start, first the good things. the staff were fantastic, so friendly and helpful. The breakfast great not over cooked and dried out like so may buffet types, and the pool area looked so inviting. So it makes the rest of the review so hard to write. Other family members also stayed at the hotel when we did, they had springs sticking up in the bed and had smoke from the neighbours balcony always coming into their room. Our issues now, being woken up by noisy cockatoo's around 5.30am every morning was a bit annoying. i just hope this is a seasonal thing and they migrate away. some of the outside facade of the hotel is falling away and needs fixing. the pool was freezing, but we were there in winter. the biggest thing was the location it is nowhere near the centre of town but a bus can be caught from the shopping center across the road. so a car is required but the hotel has very limited parking and sometimes you have to park a fair way down the street. wine glasses and dishes more than saucers and tea cups would be good too as there is a Red Rooster and a bottle shop across the road. we got what we paid for really. This has nothing to do with the hotel but avoid eating at the pub across the road, it was the worst chinese we have ever had. They even managed to burn the rice and still served it to us, black bits included.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jinnyt
damian l, General Manager at Palm Royale Cairns, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Traveller

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. As always I will discuss your points of view with my team in order to serve our customers better in the future. I am sorry the location was not what you expected and for your morning chorus from our local feathered friends.
In the meantime I wish you all the very best for your future travels.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Palm Royale is a great value hotel and provides a comfortable and friendly place to stay. Rooms are spacious and all open out onto a pool. Breakfast was fairly ordinary and the only meal onsite, though there is a free shuttle bus to the restaurant of a sister hotel. There are also regular shuttle buses into the centre for a small fee. The fee is probably worth it for convenience though there are also city buses that run into town from the shopping centre next door. It is definitely too far to walk, so it is worth planning in advance how you will get to the city centre when you need to. Staff at the hotel are remarkably friendly and helpful and can book trips and advise on all sorts of other things too.

1 Thank Elspeth P
Dear Traveller

Thank you for your recent feedback. I will be discussing your comments with my team. I am especially happy to hear that you felt we offered value for money together with helpful staff.
I wish you all the very best for your future travels.