“Excellent.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 68 Hotels in Cairns
Canberra
“Excellent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Stayed here with my family for 6 nights and not one problem. We had 3 x King Bed Harbour View rooms on the 6th floor and one suite on the 5th floor. All of us really enjoyed our stay.( Our ages ranged from 23 to 78 years old and there was not one complaint from any of us.) The reception staff were wonderful and extremely helpful with any enquires. My husband even left his phone charger in the room after we checked out and after one phone call, within a week it was posted back to us in Canberra.
The cleaning staff did a fantastic job every day on our rooms, which were spacious and had wondeful large comfy beds. The bathrooms had the shower over the bath which can be a worry for older people but when asked housekeeping sent up non-slip mats to use. We all loved having balconys with terrific views.
As mentioned in other reviews the Mercure is about a 15 minute easy stroll to the city centre which we found lovely after enjoying evenings out as most nights we dined in the city . Even my 78 year old parents didn't find it too far to walk. :) We all enjoyed breakfast every morning at the Hotel and found the staff there wonderful and efficient also.
There is a quest laundry which we used with clean washers and dryers.
We had 2 hire cars and never had a problem finding a car space although it is a tight squeeze in the basement garage.
We will definatley stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, October 22, 2010
Dear wifeofanaussie

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at Mercure Cairns Harbourside.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel service and facilities to your satisfaction.

It is rewarding to receive your feedback as it is through comments such as yours that we are able to monitor and refine our operation to exceed our guest’s expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Cairns Harbourside in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Shane Edwards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Went to Cairns last week with my 10yr old daughter and chose this hotel for price on wotif and reviews here on Trip Advisor. I booked online for $129.00 for the one night.

Check-in was easy and fast and I was given the opportunity to upgrade my reservation to include breakfast for an extra $10 for my daughter and I. I was told that this was because we were considered locals to Cairns, even though we live in Townsville, approximately 4 hours away. Bonus for us! I gladly upgraded to include this because it was my understanding that breakfast is normally $23 .

I was most impressed with the room, we were given an ocean view room with balcony. We overlooked the Esplanade and the hotel swimming pool. Not what I had expected or requested but was very pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The only thing that I found the room needed was an upgrade in the shower as it looked dated and although it was clean, it didn't look it because the tiles and grout were old. But this wasn't something that turned me off. The room also has a small bar fridge.

We caught the free shuttle, which runs hourly into the city. We walked back along the Esplanade walkway later that night. It took us approximately 25 minutes. But it was a nice comfortable walk. Lots of people bbq'ing in the park. There were lots of kids at the skate park, which I didn't know was there and there was a stand alone restaurant along the Esplanade as well, something else I didn't know was there. Its not near the lagoon pool or the night markets and all the other restaurants. So was kind of surprised to see it there.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to comment on the breakfast. Due to illness we checked out early and skipped breakfast so that we could get home. I didn't mention this on check out and therefore didn't request a refund. This probably would have been different if I had paid the $23.

My only negative for this hotel was that they took an imprint of my card, which is not an issue as I know this to be a normal routine for security purposes. What I didn't know was that they actually took the money from my account at the check-in. Payment in my previous experience at hotels is upon check-out at which time they could charge the card, if this is your wish. Anyway, I paid cash at check-out. The person at the counter didn't say anything to me about my card already being charged for the room and therefore it was already paid for. It then took 2 phone calls and more than 24hrs after check out to be refunded the room cost and the $50 incidental charge they put on. Next time I'll be sure to watch what's happening and to ask questions.

All in all, I would gladly recommend this hotel and I look forward to staying there again in the future.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

The hotel is located about 2 km from the city center, which makes for a very pleasant walk along the Esplanade. They also run a free shuttle every hour. Spacious room and bathroom. Room amenities include coffee maker and refrigerator. Very helpful and friendly staff, especially Kozumi (? spelling). The only negative was the ridiculously expensive WiFi connection, but unfortunately it seems to be a recurrent theme in Australia.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, October 2, 2010
Dear cqfp123,

Thank you for your positive feedback on Trip advisor; I have passed your feedback on to Kazumi who I know will appreciate the kind words.

In regards to the Wi-Fi I agree Australian hotels do need to address technology needs to improve with the ever growing and fast passed changes in IT. We are currently trialling new technology at the hotel so that we can offer our guests a cheaper solution to the high priced Wi-Fi offered by providers. We currently have this available in our public spaces but are now looking at extending this to our accommodation rooms.

cqfp123, thank you once again for your feedback and I hope your trip home was pleasant.

Kind regards,

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

This hotel has a good view, choose the Haborside rooms and it is very clean. We booked online and I am happy that we did as we got a good rate. The breakfast is good as well, very filling which has been great so we don't spend yo much on lunch.
The dinner was nice and pretty good quality for hotel food as well.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear allaroundoz_10,

Thank you for taking the time out to post a comment on Trip advisor, it is very important that the hotel receive both positive and constructive feedback. I have passed your comments on to my team as it is always important for them to know what our customers think.

Once again thank you and would like to see you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Wonderful hotel, friendly staff, great views, good food, great location.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
Dear celesius,

Thank you for taking the time out to post a comment of Trip Advisor. It is important that we receive all types of feedback so that we can continue to improve our product and service. It is great to receive such positive comments.

Thank you once again.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed at this hotel in July 2010, the Mountain View Room + Breakfast package was available and was a very good deal price-wise.

Our King Bed room was huge, but frankly looked like it was in need of some more refurbishment - the hotel was undergoing renovation when we were there, on our floor, the corridor looked very modern and the room overall looked newly renovated, but the shower was rusty and old. The hairdryer attached to the bathroom was really old and actually broke when we tried to use it - reception staff was not able to do anything as it was too late in the night, so we had to sleep with wet hair - not the most comfortable!

Breakfast the next morning was quite nice, but checking out took a very long as there was only one staff working. Overall, an ok but not outstanding experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear alkanato,

Thank you for taking the time out to offer feedback on the Mercure Cairns Harbourside. We are happy to say that we have completed the refurbishment of 98% of the hotel and look forward to offering our guests a great value for money hotel. In regards to your concerns I have also spoken with my department managers and we would like to apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion.

It is always extremely important to receive feedback so that we can best address any issues raised.

Thank you once again for your time and I hope on your return we can turn your stay into something outstanding.

outback
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

excellent position, great staff, fantastic location

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, July 25, 2010
Dear Cobar,

Thankyou for your comments regarding the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back to Cairns in the near future.