“Elegant Tropical Hotel”

Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside
Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
“Elegant Tropical Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

A VERY nice hotel to stay at, although I only had 2 separate overnight stays either side of a holiday in Port Douglas. Very attractive entrance and large front foyer area with very helpul staff who offered to arrange forward travel details for me without my asking.
Very large, nicely furnished modern room with balcony. The king-size bed was wonderfully comfortable (one of the best I have slept in worldwide) not too soft or too firm, and a 'pillow menu' was something I have not seen before.
Both nights there I ate in the hotel bistro cafe and the food was delicious and a good price with excellent service by the young man in charge of this cafe.
Poolside area also very attractive which is what sold me on the hotel when looking on the Internet.. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel in Cairns, regardless of length of stay. Value and price surpasses some other Mercure hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

The rooms were well presented and comfortable. I chose a one bedroom suite so I got a huge lounge and bedroom but not the sea views that are only available in the hotel room configuration. The restaurant and bar area were clean and bright with a great clear view across the ocean and harbour. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The food and drink came promptly. The esplanade has been extended past the hotel with both footpaths and bicycle tracks up to the Cairns harbour, other restaurants and shopping. There is a shuttle bus that goes to the centre of Cairns on the hour if one does not want to walk in.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Norwood
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

Pleasant hotel on the Esplanade. Close enough to restaurants and night life (15-20 min walk) but far enough away for little noise. No mini bar! Thank goodness for bottle shop next door. Lovely pool area but it lost the sun early and was in shadow by mid to late afternoon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear DaFi11 Norwood,

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on Tripadvisor. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the wonderful view from your 5th floor room. We are lucky to have such a great view from our location and on a nice day you can see Green Island in the distance.

With regards to Mini bar we have placed in room beverage lists so guests can order directly from the bar with the convenience staying in your room. As mentioned we are also located close to a bottle shop which is also pretty handy.

Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

We stayed 4 nights at The Mercure Cairns Harbourside last summer. The hotel is very close to the airport, which is a good point because you don't have to spend a lot of money and time for airport transfers, but far from the main city spots. To get to the city centre, you can either use the free shuttle bus provided by the hotel or a pleasant 20 minute walk on The Esplanade.

For an unknown reason, we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite. The suite was spacious and equipped with microwave, fridge, silverware, iron, etc. We had nothing to complain about because we had very good sleep nights there and everything was clean, practical and functionnal.

We wouldn't say that the front desk staff members we dealt with at the Mercure Cairns were the nicest or the most helpful hotel staff we met during our Australian trip. It didn't seem to us that they tried their best to be polite or to help the client.

Although the Mercure Cairns is a good hotel overall, we are not sure that we would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear patcParis,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Mercure Cairns Harbourside.

I am sorry to here that my team on the front desk did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I have discussed your comments with my team who have taken the feedback as a positive to be mindful of their surroundings and ensure that their delivery is tailored to meet all our guests expectations.

I thank you for the feedback once again and wish you a safe journey home.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

The hotel was in a good location but I found the staff were very unfriendly and often sarcastic. It was not unusual for a question asked in a friendly and polite way to be met with a blank stare and a comment like 'obviously...'. While I appreciate that some of the questions tourists ask may seem obvious to people who live in the area, if they were in fact obvious the question wouldn't be asked!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear Accor traveller,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for not meeting your expectations and for the impression you received from my team. I have discussed your comments with my management team who in turn will discuss with their departments. The hotel receives many good comments about out friendliness and our service; it is disappointing to hear that they made you feel this way.

Thankyou for letting the hotel know it is important to receive your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I had two lovely nights at the Mercure in Cairns. The room overlooked the bay with a very comfortable kingsize bed and a lovely balcony. The staff were very helpful in suggesting excursions for us. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant and although the service was a little slow we had a very tasty meal. Breakfasts were very good and everything was freshly cooked and hot. Although the hotel is not in the centre of town the bus leaving every hour allows one to get into town quite easily. We also walked home from the city the one day and it was a lovely walk along the esplanade. We would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear gelmar,

Thank you for your comments about our hotel, it is great to here that you enjoyed your stay. I have passed your comment onto my F&B team to follow up and review.

I hope you had a safe trip home and we look forward to seeing you in Cairns again.

Torshavn, Faroe Islands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights in july, We stayed in their family room. The room is ok but not as large as in other similar hotels in the same pricerange. The breakfast was not included in the booking, cant remember the price, but we got a good discount if we entered the benefits programme (which was free of charge) The brekfast is nice, not as overwhelming as in some hotels. The overall impression is that the hotel is ok, a bit far from the city centre, but there is a shuttle bus, freee of charge. However you can also walk to the city centre in some 15-20 minutes.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family