WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Trying hard and deserves three and a half stars. Give it a try.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibis Styles Cairns

Ibis Styles Cairns
Ranked #17 of 68 Hotels in Cairns
Brisbane
“Trying hard and deserves three and a half stars. Give it a try.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

My first impression was affected by the very heavy doors into the hotel - difficult to negotiate with two bags and an impairment. The reception area was ordinary and I probably had a long face whilst waiting to check in. The only staff member was busy with other guests but I was impressed that she did look up and tell me "it wouldn't be long". Another staff member came along fairly soon and I was on my way. The lift arrives quickly (maybe it sits waiting at level two) but is slow to get going - press the "close door" button to speed it up. As a business traveller staying in hotels nearly every week, I notice the small things. Room numbering in the corridor is decidedly odd, as I passed rooms with both higher and lower numbers than my own room before finding it. No drama but odd.

The room itself was very clean, sizeable, with bedside lamps, a desk, small table and chairs, tv with cable, and mugs not tiny teacups (joy). There were not nearly enough milk sachets provided which is the usual. Room info said there was a mini bar but there wasn't. The bathroom had wall hooks (more joy), hot water with a good shower rose and a shelf in the shower (even more joy). There were two face washers but no handtowel, however on the second day, one appeared. There was the continual sound of toilets flushing somewhere else so bring earplugs and shut the bathroom door.

When I sat on the bed it sounded like one of those rubber mattresses that hospitals have but turned out to be very comfortable. I found the pillows to be too large and overstuffed so was pleased I'd brought my own. It was good to have the option of the quiet overhead fan rather than use the air con. The aged alarm clock was set at the right time and actually worked. Elsewhere the room looked a bit tired here and there and some things were out dated but I got the impression that this property is really trying to do the best with what they have to work with.

I was warned that there was a big group in for dinner, which was thoughtful. Room service is available until 8.30pm and breakfast is available from 6.30am (joy) and hot options only is a reasonable $15. It was nothing special but the dining room was fresh and pleasant and everything was nicely cooked and presented and so was good value. One newspaper was available and the tv was set to a popular channel and wasn't too loud. The only thing that annoyed me was that other diners continually knocked my chair as they made their way to the buffet. The wait staff were efficient and friendly.

I would consider staying here again at the right price. The location is great and is only a short walk to restaurants, a bottle shop, the night markets and the Esplanade. I think it deserves another half star.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, ask for one away from the lift on the upper floor and not on the roadside
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ISCSupervisor, Front Office Manager at Ibis Styles Cairns, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
I'm glad to read you had a comfortable stay. Our hotel is an older style property but is definately a good option for budget conscious travellers and return corporate guests.

I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed the breakfast we offer and the special hot breakfast offer we are running at the moment for $15.00.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you back at ibis Styles Cairns next time you're in town.

Front Office Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Whilst the building and rooms and carpets are getting a bit dated the stay was excellent. The rooms were large, very clean and the service from the staff was superb. They went out of their way to support us with all facilities and were extremely friendly. Definitely be staying again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Dennis L
I'm pleased to read that your stay with us was an enjoyable one.

Our aim is to ensure our guests experience the most comfortable and enjoyable stay possible, it's wonderful to hear that our facilities and customer service helped make this happen.

Thank-you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Hythe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Our family of four stayed here for 3 days in a family room and found it a good value hotel. Continental breakfast was included which was enough. Centrally located near shops, restaurants and lagoon. Beds very comfy. Reception staff very helpful. Altogether ideal for a family short stay in this area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharon C
ISCSupervisor, Front Office Manager at Ibis Styles Cairns, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at ibis Styles Cairns.

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed our facilities and services during your stay at ibis Styles Cairns, and I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you again the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

The location of the hotel is awesome, but that is the only plus I could find so far. With $129 per night for the double, I expected a good standard. Unfortunately, the hotel seems to be a bit old and not well maintained. The room was dark, smelly and did not seem very clean. The staff was working with a minimum of effort and friendliness. I would not recommend this hotel even for staying there only one night - like we did.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Aninha_12
ISCSupervisor, Front Office Manager at Ibis Styles Cairns, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at ibis Styles Cairns.

As we continually strive to ensure our guests feel cared for, valued and respected, it was of course disappointing to learn that you did not have such an enjoyable stay on this occasion. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issues you have listed to prevent future occurence.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns.

Chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed here just one night in order to catch an early flight out of Cairns. The Pros were the location (easy walk to restaurants and Esplanade, easy drive to airport), TV stations (nice movie options), and comfortable beds/linens. The negatives pertain to the overall appearance of the room--dark, dreary, bad lighting (fluorescent?). Also there were ants in the kitchenette area and the WiFi was horrible. Has potential. Maybe some rooms are better than others but overall we were glad we spent less than 24 hours there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SBTChicago_IL
ISCSupervisor, Front Office Manager at Ibis Styles Cairns, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for your feedback.

Our hotel is an older style property but our quality of service is what we here at Ibis Styles Cairns strive to achieve. We have taken your comments onboard and will continually be updating the property to give the best customer satisfaction in the future.

Front Office Supervisor

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Recently returned to stay overnight in a room and was quite happy to see that it was clean and comfortable. I found the continental breakfast in the restaurant to be quite nice as well so overall I enjoyed my stay,also the friendly staff make a big difference. Thanks.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business