New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Coral Tree Inn

Coral Tree Inn
Ranked #18 of 68 Hotels in Cairns
Perth, Australia
“Good rooms for the price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

Very helpful and friendly staff. They have a bbq facilities under a bali gazebo which was nice. The rooms were comfortable and adequate. The corridors were a bit noisy as they're tiled, but other than that the hotel satisfied all our needs. It is a short walk to the esplanade and centre of town.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Anand C, General Manager at Coral Tree Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear wanderer127,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's great to hear that you experienced our helpful, friendly and attentive staff and I have passed on your comments to our team. We are all delighted to note that you enjoyed the comfort, the location and the barbecue facilities during your short stay; all at an affordable price.

Thank you and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Shower was a lucky dip, most times water was just warm enough, same with the wifi conection, very hit & miss. Our bed was 2 singles pushed together which separated shortly after. We had to jamm the bed between furniture to slow the divide. You need the aircon working overnight as it is quite warm but this one sounded like running water(strange). The walls are paper thin so you can easily hear your neighbours and vice versa. Staff were friendly and place was reasonably clean

Room Tip: Avoid room 106, read my review
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
Dear Leigh J,

We were gravely concerned to read about the issues you have raised, and so very glad you've expressed them, as it has allowed us to thoroughly investigate each issue. I am very sorry to learn that your experience with us fell below your expectations.

My team and I once again apologise that we couldn't deliver a better stay experience for you. We hope there will be an opportunity in the future to extend the true and warm Coral Tree Inn hospitality experience that we always strive to deliver.

Sunshine Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

Recently spent three nights at this hotel, room 113. Massive bathroom (for disabled..even though we are not disabled), was great! Ground floor, lovely little verandah overlooking pool. No power point in bathroom (which was weird), but reception were more than helpful and were there within 5 minutes after my request with an extension lead. A good central location, a short walk to the RSL for a lovely meal, and short walk to the Esplanade (3 blocks). Very good value and would recommend for a short break.

Room Tip: Room 113, massive bathroom, no stairs to carry luggage up, and close to reception, verandah overlook...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
Dear Kath K,

Thank you so much for choosing Coral Tree Inn.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed central location of the hotel. At Coral Tree Inn, we believe that it is all about creating the perfect guest experience. We often have special rates available and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon. Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us.

Pukekohe, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

The room we stayed in had a king size bed the zip together type so yes it had a ridge down the middle. We found the bed too hard for our personal taste. The room was clean as was the good sized bathroom. We didn't hear any noise from the main road that the hotel is situated on but we could hear very clearly other guests leading us to believe that there isn't much sound proofing. The staff were friendly. The breakfast was included with our room price and was adequate. It is an easy walk in to the esplanade.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ThomKatz,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and experiences of your recent stay at the Coral Tree Inn.

It is important that we receive feedback so that we can use it to monitor and rectify shortfalls highlighted to us. We are looking into ways that can minimize the noise levels as comfort of our guests is our highest mission.

I do hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Thank you.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

This is really a 3 star hotel, the location is good and close to most things. It is very noisy as the corridors are not carpeted such that departing guests with their loud luggage woke us in the mornings. Staff are friendly and very helpful and their English is mostly very good. The pool is freezing in winter as the sun does not reach it much. The hotel needs some vending machines for snacks. Rooms are adequate with largish TVs with a reasonable selection of channels. Our shower curtain was way too short and water went all over the bathroom. The shower water is warm in the mornings and at night but hot in the middle of the day. The bbq facilities are good. Overall it is okay, but next time I will spend extra and go upmarket.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main road.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Peter L,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Coral Tree Inn, we really appreciate receiving your feedback and insights.

Whilst we are pleased to learn that you were happy with the staff and room, we are very sorry that your overall stay experience fell below your expectations.

I do hope we get the opportunity to speak to one another in the future, and that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back, at which time we will spare no effort in providing you with the perfect stay.

Thank you.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed in Cairns in July 2014, as only a getaway point to the Great Barrier Reef, where we stayed upon a liveaboard for 5 days. However, we enjoyed our 2 night stay at the Coral Tree Inn. The rooms were large, which was a nice treat for the 3 of us. I also liked the common area BBQ cooktop and the large tables near the pool. It was a nice place to sit and relax. The hotel also offers free wifi, but it has a limited amount of MBs that you can use. I also enjoyed the kitchen amenities the room had: small refrigerator, microwave, toaster, dishes, cutlery, etc. While the hotel is not located directly on the beach, close to all the restaurants/nightlife, Cairns is not a big city and it was an easy 10 minute or less walk to anywhere we wanted to go, including the train station to get to Kuranda.

The only small complaint I had is that there is currently a circus across the street in the park. We consistently heard very loud animal noises at the most random time, which we got a good laugh at. But if you're a picky traveler prone to complaining, this will probably annoy you.

We already recommended the Coral Tree Inn to some friends we met while traveling and would certainly be back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicole H
Dear Nicole H,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your kind comments. I am so pleased you enjoyed your experience and found our location, amenities and services to be so perfect. It is our top priority to ensure that all our guests leave feeling well looked after and we are delighted to read that you were happy with your choice of hotel and even recommended us to others.

We feel lucky that we get to see the beautiful animals each year when the circus is in town; however I have to agree that they were quite loud this year. But again most of us are just happy to see these creatures play right across the hotel! :)

Once again many thanks for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon

Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is one of those situations where I'd like to be able to add another half star. What I liked about this place was some of the room features - a desk, a bathroom hook for my toiletries bag, a fan as well as air con, good pillows, wide screen tv, room safe, ironing board, hair dryer, proper clothes hangers, real soap, complementary toothbrush and what looked like reasonable quality shampoo, and plenty of hot water in the shower. It is also very unusual to find an entry door that can be fixed in the open position while you get your bags out and I really appreciated this. Everything was very clean and looked recently painted.

I'm not a big fan of ceramic floor tiles though and also not a fan of two beds pushed together with an uncomfortable crack down the middle. However the deal breaker for me was the incredible screeching plumbing system (hot tap I think) in the next room, and my own. I was woken (and kept awake) two times by the guests next door who had a marathon 2 hour stint in their bathroom one night then were at it again early the next morning. Earplugs were of no use, it was so intrusive.

The hotel has a pool, a a guest barbecue area and a comfortable reception area with the usual travel info and a few books for those staying a while. Interestingly I spotted a German edition of "Fifty Shades of Grey", however there was nothing I could see to take to my room to read, other than travel brochures. A newspaper or magazine would have been great. There is a restaurant open for breakfast and briefly for dinner, with indoor and outdoor dining options. Take care to check the closing time for dinner. The information in my room said it was open from 6pm to 8pm but when I arrived at 7.32pm they had already stopped taking orders. I returned to my room but couldn't get the phone to work. After mucking around with it and trying to look up instructions I eventually called reception, who apparently have to unlock it when you want to make a call. The hotel is not in an area with many shops or eateries nearby and I could only find one place that was open on a Monday night - Dominoes. Don't walk to it alone through the unlit park opposite - it's a safer option to go the long way.

Staff are pleasant but there is only one person on reception so be prepared to wait. Minor issues - my desk lamp appeared to need a new bulb, but wasn't fixed before I checked out 26 hours after mentioning it. Fortunately I had little paperwork to do during this visit. The fridge contains only 6 tiny serves of long life milk but the teacups are tiny anyway. You might like to notice and remedy the milk situation before you need caffeine in the morning - the shop near the dodgy park had only two containers of 1 litre fresh milk available. Way too much but at least fresh milk. I fail to understand why most hotels don't provide decent sized mugs to allow a proper cup of tea/coffee. My room had no convenient power points for the jug so it was necessary to shift around the trays in the bathroom to safely place the jug. None of these things are a big deal but it's all part of the experience.

Room Tip: My room on the eastern side had good curtains, but still couldn't block the bright glow of the s...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Location
Dear zappagirl,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

We value your feedback and rest assured we have taken these comments on board.
We hope that we can welcome you back again soon.