Coral Tree Inn
$249
$139
Shangri-La.com
  • Pool
Tropical Heritage Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$97
$70
$149
$114
$162
$142
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$190
$164
Reef Palms(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$123
$84
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsno lifta ground floor roombbq arealaundry roomminute walkclose to townstayed here for nightswould stay againsmall poolfamily roomeasy walking distancebudget hotelfree wifienjoyed my stayshort stayvisiting cairnsreception area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We really appreciated staying at the Coral Tree Inn. Everything was organised for us all we had to do is show up at the right times for our day trips. This was really appreciated as we were travelling with a 3 year old. The rooms were comfortable and clean and had everything we required to be able to make our own meals using the bbq facilities. The breakfast had a great choice and on the occassions that we had an evening meal, it was fresh and very tasty. The chef, Matt remembered us every day and was more than obliging feeding a fussy 3 year old. He always made us feel very welcome. The reception staff were extremely helpful and gave lots of advice and tips. Our main contact was Sophia and she coudn't have been more helpful or polite. The walk to the esplanade and restaurants was 5 minutes and the walk to the marina was 10 minutes, not far at all. It wasn't difficult to get anywhere walking especially when walking with a 3 year old. We had a wonderful massage by a lovely lady who was very well trained, which helped us feel so relaxed, The day trip package we stayed on was fantastic. The tour companies that we went with every day were great in the fact they never rushed you and you got to truely relax. We were able to do some amazing things, even swimming with a sea trutle. Coral Tree Inn has done some great research into what day trips are good value and loads of fun. The hardest part was saying good bye. Thank you to all for our fantastic holiday, we will be back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Anand C, Manager at Coral Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Donna S,

I am very pleased to know that you would choose to stay again at Coral Tree Inn on your next visit to Cairns and I sincerely appreciate that you have taken the time to post a review of your experience.

The entire team feels elated to read your heartfelt review. Your mention about the hotel’s service, facilities, restaurant, staff and tours is greatly appreciated.

Your feedback is a big source of motivation for the team. We are all delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I am happy to announce that we are in the process of adding more tours and packages to the existing line of excursions and trips. Our priority is to offer the tours that show you the best the region has to offer, all at an affordable price.

Thank you once again, my team and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Checked into this hotel before going on a live aboard for one night. Room was clean. I could not find an elevator and had to carry luggage to third floor up steps. There was no contental breakfast (Did not expect one).

It was located close to the marina but not within walking distance.

Dear DontwaitMn,

Thank you for sharing your feedback through Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to note that you were satisfied with the overall cleanliness in the room.

Since the hotel does not have elevators, our friendly staff is always happy to help all our guests with their luggage.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Coral Tree Inn and assure of our best services and attention to make you next stay a ‘special one’.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Coral Tree Inn was a pretty good hotel, and I was satisfied with my stay. (I'd rate it a 3.5 if I could.) The good points: Friendly staff, quiet rooms, in-room A/C that worked well, and a large-screen TV. The bed was harder than expected, but not so hard that I was uncomfortable. I liked the amenities, too (Internet access, laundry-room access, attractive pool).

I also appreciated the tour package I bought (prepaid) with my hotel stay; I paid Coral Tree, and Coral Tree booked 4 local tours (rainforest, reef, waterfalls, etc.) for me. I enjoyed all of these. The only drawback was when one tour company claimed they hadn't received the funds from Coral Tree, but thankfully, they said they'd work it out directly with the hotel and I was allowed on my tour. I brought it up with Coral Tree and they said that the tour guide must have been misinformed about their account with Coral Tree.

Some concerns: The rooms aren't as nice or big as they look on the website, and I agree with another reviewer who said that the housekeepers miss the finer details. I was a bit grossed out by the amount of mold in the bathroom, for example. Also, there is no place to put your stuff in the shower other than on the moldy floor (other than a tiny soap tray); it would've been nice if they'd had one of those hangs-over-the-shower-faucet shampoo holders for customers' shampoo, soap, etc. The breakfast served as part of my package was not very good and I was glad for the days we didn't have to rely on it before departing for early tours.

Overall, for the discounted rates I paid, I was satisfied, and I did very much appreciate the attentiveness and friendliness of the staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Alaina503,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read such a detailed review and thank you for appreciating our staff.

It is important that we receive feedback so that we can use it to monitor and rectify shortfalls highlighted to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thank you.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We just got back from a stay at the Coral Tree inn. It is pleasant, but not 4 star quality. The rooms look out to the pool and courtyard which is a lovely out look.

The rooms appear clean, but the cleaners are missing finer details. For example our bathroom door was filthy with hand marks and various splashes around the door handle, and the ceiling fan had a large layer of dust hanging off the edges of it. We were there for a week and our floor was not cleaned once which was really obvious. For the price of around $100 per night it is not good value.

We had requested a twin room on the internet booking engine and when we got there from our night flight were told our room was a double bed. So a not-very-comfortable fold out bed was put in our room for the night. Our beds were on casters, and they literally slipped around the tiled floor just by sitting on them or turning over in bed. I would wake up each time I turned over in my sleep as the bed would roll. It is not very relaxing sleeping on a surface that moves! On our last night I sat on my bed and noticed that the bed didn't move. There was a holder around the casters, that was obviously supposed to be there the whole time, but the cleaner had not bothered to put them there after they changed our bed from the first night. So if you stay and your bed moves, tell them so that it can be fixed! I thought It must just be how the beds are, I'd looked to see if there were brakes on the casters but there were'nt so put up with it, but wish I had said something at the time.

Our cleaner seemed to be stingy with towels. one day we came back to our room to only have one towel put in our bathroom (there were two of us). On another day we used our towels at the beach and when we asked at reception if we could swap them for clean towels that weren't sandy, no one brought us clean towels. I expect a little more at a 4 star hotel.

The swimming pool is in a narrow court yard, surrounded by the two and three story blocks so hardly gets any sun. This means it is too cold to go in. We could not lay by the pool relaxing in the sun.

Something really helpful in the rooms was that they provided plates and knife and forks. We loved that. A spoon would be great to add to that too. There is a BBQ in the courtyard that guests can use which is also a lovely feature.

If you are staying just for one or two nights you can consider this place, but if you are staying for longer go elsewhere. There are worse places though, another hotel we visited had terrible mold problems with musty and smelly rooms. That was one good thing about the Coral Tree inn, the tiled floors and good airflow in the rooms.

We stayed for a week and would not recommend staying there for more than a night or two. If you are hiring a car look at one of the resorts 5 minutes out of town, they are half the price and some of them much nicer with great big swimming pools and gardens.

The best part of our stay was the amazingly friendly lady that was often on the front desk. I wish I remembered her name because she deserves a bonus! This could be a really lovely place if the level of service in the rooms was brought up to the standard that the hotel is trying to be.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms.
1  Thank sydneygirlmel
Anand C, Manager at Coral Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear sydneygirlmel,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel.

In regards to your concerns I would like to apologise for not meeting your expectations regarding the cleanliness in the room during your stay. I have addressed this issue with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure that these areas are looked into and to make sure that this will not be repeated. I have also taken note of the unwanted shifting of the bed.

One thing I did notice was that there was no mention about a request for Twin bed in your booking. Unfortunately your stay coincided with one of the biggest conferences in the region here and due to heavy demand for accommodation; a last minute request for Twin bed was not met on the first night of your stay. However I trust our friendly staff was attentive to your needs as I learnt that she was able to allocate a Twin room for you the next day and fulfilled your request to her best capacity.

I sincerely hope to see you here again.

Thank you.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

On going into our room we were greeted by a pull out bed which we had to squash by!! This bed was full of springs and 1 which was going through the mattress. Another of our beds had broken slats very uncomfortable sleep. The walls were badly scuffed and the room was more typical of a 2 star. The girls on the front desk were very helpful and moved us for the duration of our stay to another hotel!!!

Don't be fooled by the pictures on the website it does not show what you will be staying in. However the rest of our stay at a hotel up the street was great.

1  Thank missey73
Anand C, Manager at Coral Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Dear missey73,

Thank you for sharing your views through Trip Advisor.

We regret to hear that your stay here did not meet your expectations. To effectively resolve your concerns, I personally looked in to this incident to investigate the reasons behind it.

All our Suite rooms are designed for 2 people. These rooms are very spacious and measure up to 50 sq meters which boast a lounge and separate bedroom. Bedding consists for 1 king and 1 sofa bed which are ideal for a family of 4. Since your booking consisted of 5 people in the same room, which we do not recommend as the extra bed consumes more space and leaves less space to move around.

I was informed that as a gesture of goodwill you were offered another Standard room during your stay here. Our friendly staff took the responsibility to relocate your stay to another hotel to make sure that you continue to enjoy your holiday. Considering the busy season and limited availability around in cairns I hope that the two bed room apartment that was arranged for you and your family without any extra cost was to your liking.
I can assure you that there have been no cosmetic changes or edits done to the pictures displayed on the hotel website. These pictures are as real as the rooms, just the best ones chosen from the lot.

I thank you once again for writing a review and hope that you would visit us again.