“Complete value for money”
Review of Acacia Court Hotel

Acacia Court Hotel
Ranked #61 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Perth WA
“Complete value for money”
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Couldn't complain. We got a room with a balcony overlooking the water for $115 a night. It was neat, clean and had everything you needed. Not fancy- but excellent for the price.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Copenhagen
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Reception staff was really unfriendly, never smiled or said hello. Room are worn and looks a bit old. The location to the promenade is good, but opt for a room with a oceanview. The distance to the city center is about 3 km. and I would choose a hotel closer to the city center if I should stay in Carins again.
The restaurant at the hotel attracts a lot of locals, tried it once and found the buffet average.
Stay here if you can get a good deal on the roomrates.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Brisbane, QLD
Reviewed October 11, 2008

I booked this place through qantas website from brisbane. When I arrived at hotel for check in, the receptionist lady behaved very rudely with me. She asked me for my name and then said she dont have booking for me at all. I told her that I booked the hotel through qantas website and I shown her my booking reference number and frequent flyer number. But she said that "you might be the person taking over someone else's booking, may be your father booked the place" Then eventually she found my booking and then asked for my id and then gave me a room key with weird face. I think she is one of the most racist people in the world. I felt very bad and offended. She could have asked me for my id in a nice way. This is world's worst customer service. I will never come back again to this hotel just because of this bad experience even though I liked the hotel and my room.

• Liked — Mountain view from my balcony
  • Disliked — receptionist racist lady an check in desk
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank ThakarGaurav

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Maryland
Reviewed March 14, 2008

standard best western. Clean, good location, friendly, knowledgable staff.

• Stayed February 2008
1 Thank notreallymyname
East Sussex
Reviewed January 21, 2008

We had booked to stay at this hotel for 8 nights but booked out after just two nights even though we had to pay for a third night due to our checking out in the afternoon. We found the bedding to be of poor standard wtih the pillows inside the pillowcases to be stained and quite disgusting. The sheets and pillowcases were old and the pattern on them badly worn. The bedroom chairs were plastic and the general appearance of the room was tired and worn. Our teabags etc in the room were replenished just once until we complained (we had been given just two tea bags in two days). We had booked what was supposed to be a better room with an ocean view, and thought that if this was the better room god knows what the others were like. The reception smelt of stale food and there were never any cables available to connect to the internet in our room, the internet connection arrangements were so antequated that we had never ever seen the like before. We would definately not stay at this hotel again nor would I tell anyone elst to stay there either.

• Liked — the view from the room
  • Disliked — the bedding
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank lbirdwatching
Dorset
Reviewed January 18, 2008

This was our first visit to Australia and we knew that our hotel, the Acacia Court, was only a 2 star but when we arrived we found our room to be damp and dirty. The room stank of cigarette smoke (as did the whole hotel) even though we had requested a non smoking room (and the hotel was not full). The bathroom was mouldy and had definitely seen better days! Some of the reception staff were a bit grumpy and the restaurant was extremely expensive.
However the Esplanade location was beautiful and only a fifteen minute walk to the centre of Cairns. There is also a very helpful independant tour arranger that is located at the foyet of the Acacia Court that will give you a lot of good advice about local restaurants and attractions.
Overall, if we were to visit Cairns again we would not stay at the Acacia Court.
B&S from England.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank jaspergucci
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed December 16, 2007

The Acacia Court is a large, well established (1980s?) hotel on the northern edge of the foreshore in Cairns. It is a 2km walk down The Esplanade to the attractions and excitements of central Cairns. This doesn't sound like very far ... but it is a long and challenging hike in the heat of a summer day (especially if you plan to walk both ways!).

On the other hand, the Acacia Court would be a very reasonable place to stay if you had your own (air-conditioned!) car to travel around town in. It is clean, the beds are comfortable, and there are attractive views on both sides of the hotel (one towards the mountains, the other towards the water). We enjoyed taking in the mountain views from our balcony.

We didn't eat at the restaurant but noticed the buffet was generally very popular in the evenings.

The pool is quite pleasant, but is directly adjacent to the restaurant area. So if you feel like a morning swim, you will get people watching you while eating their eggs, etc. This doesn't seem ideal but in fairness we noticed quite a few of the other hotels in Cairns have the same arrangement. The pool closes early (6pm), so it is not an issue at dinner.

There is a very reasonably-priced liquor store in the foyer.

• Liked — Reasonable value for money, views
  • Disliked — Distance from city centre, location of pool
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple