“Good value but very unfriendly service”
Review of Acacia Court Hotel

Acacia Court Hotel
Ranked #61 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney, Australia
“Good value but very unfriendly service”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I regularly stay at this hotel because it is the best value I found in town in terms of location and great views of the esplanade. The room are a bit dated but they are always clean and tidy. Views are great. Service each time has been very cold and unwelcoming. I have to even say hello first and am greeted with almost a huff which makes me feel like I am an inconvenience rather than a valued customer. I don't think I have seen the front desk staff ever smile.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tanaus1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed at characterless Acacia Court for one night. Rooms are clean and beds are comfortable with a great location. However, the reception staff leaves a lot to be desired. Very unattentive, no hellos, no smiles or recognition of you as a paying customer. Every request was met with indignation. Will choose another hotel the next time in Cairn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hauki_26

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Seattle
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The rooms were fine, and had a nice view overlooking the bay at Cairns. It is about 30 minute walk outside of Cairns, but this is not necessarily a problem- just something to be aware of.

However, the folks operating the desk while we were there really need improvement. When I arrived at 5:30PM I was told that I had already checked in at 3:30PM. Clearly they made a mistake and logged an earlier guest under my reservation. After a few minutes of concern that we might not have a room, we were told to go to room 207. We weren't given a key, just told to meet the cleaning staff there at the room who would let us in. After 5 minutes of waiting in the hallway, a staff member met us and opened the door. There were already bags in the room- someone else was still staying in that room! We had to then convince the staff member that these were not our bags, as she was convinced that we had already checked in! We went back downstairs and were finally checked into a room on the 8th floor. The whole process took about 1 hour of our time on our last evening in Cairns, causing us to miss the sunset. Lastly, we paid for wifi in the room. It never worked. I phoned the desk and was told it doesn't work on the 8th floor. I was not told this when I paid for the wifi. I then when down to the lobby where I got the wifi to work by standing at the desk. When I checked out I was told that I could not get a refund for the wifi, since I had used it in the lobby. The amount of money was small, but the customer service of not refunding someone for a product that did not work as advertised was astoundingly poor.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing the ocean have good views
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bennej02
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The Acacia Court Hotel offers various standards of accommodation and great views of the sea and mountains. Motel, mountain views, and ocean views at very competitive prices. All under $100. The hotel also offers Charlies Restaurant where you can enjoy a great value buffet dinner and buffet breakfast. The hotel offers the usual free Internet, a bottleshop, swimming pool & spa, sauna and movies and TV. You also receive a discount on the meals when you stay. Good accommodation and great price.

Room Tip: At the prices offered why not go for the best rooms with ocean views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Port Douglas, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We live in the country but stay overnight in Cairns about 4 times a year. We need the services of a good value hotel that is clean and well positioned. The Acacia Court Hotel fills this niche quite admirably. We do not need hotel staff with the fake smiles and being told to have a great day and you don't get that here.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view over the Esplanade are more expensive. We are happy with the cheaper rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris D
Pearl Beach NSW
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Here recently for 7 nights. Not once did the owners/managers sey hello or acknowledge me (or anyone else for that matter) even though they cant miss you. You are right by the reception desk on every entry/exit to the hotel Very interesting management style for a hotel. Very.

Best view from room over esplanade and ocean, shame about the early flights departing cns airport, sleeping past 5.30am challenging ifmthe sound of jet engines are,likely to wake you.

Room clean and housekeeping ladies friendly and bed ok, tv fine as was air cond nice and quiet. Decor, challenging, but for the $$, the challenge ok.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank michaelpearlbeach
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Arrived at 4pm to check in and waited 25 minutes in a queue. the receptionist did not ask for any identification, instead just asked for our surname and handed us our towels as she informed us there would not be any in the room. While going up in the lift, there is a sign indictating the guest that when having a shower you must leave the bathroom door open and a window open in the bedroom to stop the fire alarm being triggered and if the fire brigade was called we were then liable for the cost of the call out. When we got into the room the cleaner was still there and we waited 10 minutes outside for her to finish. When we finally got into our room, we found the clean sheets were still wet. I rang house keeping and told them the sheets were wet and was told she would have someone fix it but no one ever did come. Bad night sleep with damp sheets and a very uncomfortable bed. We ordered room service(cheese platter and bowl of chips) it arrived 45minutes later and was a Woolworths bought cheese platter and the chips were cold and soggy and unedible. While checking out we were made to wait again. Overall a very bad experience, we wish we had gone next door to the Mercure.

Room Tip: Don't go there, go next door to The Mercure
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business