“Pleasantly surprised....excellent value.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 65 Hotels in Cairns
Cairns, Australia
“Pleasantly surprised....excellent value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of days for a mini-holiday. I must admit I didn't really have high expectations, but I was very happy with the room. We had a mountain view room on the 6th floor, and yes it was a lovely view of the mountains! TV reception was great and having the movie channels was fantastic. I loved the fact the room had a bath. For this reason alone I would stay there again! We had breakfast both mornings in Charlie's restaurant. It was basic, but very nice.
Agree with another reviewer....we were disappointed that the pool closes at 6pm. It is way too hot and sunny to be in the pool during the day, so there was no time to go to the pool.
All in all, we really enjoyed our relaxing stay and would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MissTGreen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Gosnells
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Room reasonably clean, doorstop in bathroom quite dangerous. Sandwich ordered from room service unedible. Still waiting for milk and tv guide we requested on first day and second day. Reception very unhelpful re local buses and information. Lovely but long walk down into Cairns. Checked out at 10.00am and left our luggage in reception till 4.00pm when going to the airport. Security very questionable when we walked into the hotel and took our luggage and no one asked who we were.
Staff on Saturday night very good and shut down noisy guests twice.

Room Tip: Mountain view seemed fine
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tripper128
Alice Springs, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 6,047 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We travelled from Alice Springs and spent a week here for a break.
We booked an Ocean view room/buffet breakfast package.
Our room was on the 5th floor. By 11am, the direct sun and sometimes the glare was gone.
You can then sit on the balcony and enjoy the views of the park/boardwalks, the sea and no hot afternoon sun in your face.
At this time of year the Hotel was alot quieter, so we enjoyed the pool/spa and the little waterfall mostly to ourselves. Our only gripe here was that the pool hours are 6am to 6pm. We have stayed many places over the years, also in the same area and most pools close 9-10pm.
It would have been nice to have an evening swim after a day out so that was a disappointment, especially since the area is very well lit.
Les who works at Charlie’s restaurant is a great worker and looks after you. 5 stars for him....and a pay rise if the GM is reading this. He has good knowledge and is great to talk to.
We always filled up before our day out by having the Buffet Breakfast, not a full selection of everything, but a good range.
Reception staff and the cleaners were all helpful, polite and sincere.
We enjoyed our stay and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 1TraveltheWorld
Daintree
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I live in the Daintree and often go to cairns overnight for shopping trips. We always stay at Acacia Court . The lady on reception is fantastic. She is pleasant and helpful.The ocean view rooms are very relaxing. The breakfast at Charlies is the best.

Room Tip: All floors above 2 have ocean views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on my own for 4 nights just before new year.
I researched hotels in Cairns carefully, I didn't want to spend too much but I didn't want to stay in a hostel so this hotel seemed like a good compromise. I had expected it to be closer to the CBD having read the description but it was about a 20 minute walk into town which, after lots of walking during the day was not what I wanted to do. I did eat in the buffet restaurant one night but, as I don't eat seafood I don't feel that I got my money's worth. I didn't feel the food was of particularly high quality either.
I had three occasions to talk to reception after check-in and each time I had to wait at least 5 minutes before I was served. On one occasion I had gone into the bathroom to have a shower only to discover I had no towels. I had to get dressed again and go down to reception. When I spoke to the lady on reception she said "it will be hanging on the back of the door" she was very sarcastic and implied that I had not looked everywhere or that I was trying to get extra towels. Reluctantly she gave me a towel.
On the other occasions I asked a question, even when I just asked for a map it seemed like too much trouble.
Only other tip is that if you pay for wifi make sure you disconnect each time as the time counts down when your connection is dormant not just when you are actively browsing.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We arrived in Australia the day we checked into this hotel. The lady at the counter was blunt and did not give us a warm welcome.
The room we got had no view and was outdated. The plus side is that it was quiet and had a good bed to sleep in. The walk from the city centre to the hotel is about 20 minutes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were looking for somewhere to spend New Years Eve on the Esplanade so as we could sit on our balcony & watch the fireworks. We googled this hotel which had rooms available with a balcony & mountain view, so perfect we paid triple the usual price being New Years Eve & off we went babysitter arranged & car packed. On arrival we were horrified to walk into our room as small as a broom cupboard, dirty, no wine glasses, and definateley NO BALCONY!! Only a roof outside our window!! So we had to walk a long way into town, buy drinks when we had brought our own,catch cabs as you would not spend 1 minute in this dirty poor excuse for a room. Had we known we would have stayed home!! And the hotel refused to refund our money despite the false advertising!! A tent would be more luxurious than this place or even a back packers save yourself the grief go elsewhere, somewhere reputable!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amarice H

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels