“highly recommend this Hilton hotel”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Hilton Cairns
Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We chose to upgrade to an executive room and we were very pleased with the room and service. Executive floor allowed us to have canapes and drinks early evening then buffet breakfast the next morning which was all wonderful. The staff on this floor were so pleasant and welcoming and are a credit to the hotel.
We enjoyed the huge swimming pool which was a surprise We would definitely stay here again especially as its ideally situated in central Cairns.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. It’s great to read that you’ve enjoyed your Hilton experience, especially the time spent in the exclusive Executive Floor Lounge. The team are certainly a great asset and I know they will appreciate your positive feedback. I hope we can welcome you back again another time.

John Lucas| General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,331)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel's location is awesome, right on the beach front and a 2 min walk to the dock where you'll mostly likely be picked up for GBR tours or green island or whatever water activity you do. It is also a 5 min walk to Woolworths for bus stops and your daily food shopping needs. The down stairs restaurant is pretty decent for dinner Indian/Thai food and good bfast. Try to get the upgrade for water view. The hotel pool and hot tub is also a good option, although you can easily hit up the lagoon and Palm cove while you're there. I would recommend it if you can get the rate around $145 or so. The service was ok as they have no ice machines and they charge you for every little thing. So unless you're a gold or diamond member, expect to be charged at the end of your stay for small stuff, just check your bill and try to get it taken off.

Room Tip: higher floors and get the executive rooms for free bfast and drinks 630-1030, and 5-10 at night!

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review. Congratulations on your wedding - it’s great to read that you chose the Tropical North of Australia for your Honeymoon. The Executive Floor upgrade present a good option for guests who enjoy the Continental breakfast and evening drinks served in the exclusive Executive Lounge. I hope we can welcome you back again some time.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The hotel is situated in a good position, right by the boardwalk on the water’s edge and a stone’s thrown from both the Esplanade (and the array of eating places), the pier from which all boat trips depart (and the casino, if you like that sort of thing).

The breakfast offered a good selection, the room was comfortable and the lobby area spacious and airy. Our only complaint was that on one day our room had not been properly serviced, appearing to have been done hastily and in slipshod fashion. It certainly hadn’t been vacuumed (bits still on the floor from the morning), the second unused pillows not replaced from the floor where we put them during the night, the bed cover appearing simply to have been pulled back without the bed sheets being smoothed, and only one face cloth left instead of two. I did mention this failing at reception and was later contacted by the head of services, who was appalled by this and fulsome in her apologies. She was very charming and I am sure will take it up with whoever serviced the room that day, and we accept that all hotels have some difficulties in this area so her apologies were readily accepted.

Otherwise a very pleasant stay, and we would happily stay there again.

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review via Tripadvisor for Hilton Cairns. I appreciate the feedback regarding your room servicing - these comments have been passed to the Department Manager for review and action. It’s great to read that you’ve enjoyed our premium waterfront location with a short walk to all the activities that our great city has to offer. I hope we can welcome you back again.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

The hotel is located directly on the river front and we had a beautiful view - you can walk along the harbour front to the town centre in approx 5mins
The hotel generally is very nice, what you would expect from a hilton
Free wifi in reception but generally slow speeds, but I suspect this is due to amount of people using - note to anyone with a kindle wanting to download a free book .. They block the ports that kindle uses (sorry for technical speak) so you cannot update kindles but computers and iPad / iPhone updated and worked fine.
We eat in Mondos (lower floor of hotel) again fine and surprisingly not expensive
Breakfast was fine, not the best/greatest choice but normal bacon, sausage, pastries, eggs cooked to order etc... - they also cater for Chinese/Japanese market so there was various things that would appeal to that market and not necessarily the western palate at 7am ..
Staff were friendly, in lobby they have an excursion desk which offer various trips - we booked and then later in the town found other similar excursions cheaper but I suppose you find that anywhere.
Taxi cost around $25aud each way from airport to hotel and took about 15mins
Normal gripe about cost of Internet in room .. $30aud per day .. I find this is a ripoff (could explain the slowness in free areas) ... They really should offer it at $10 per day and they will find more people use and in the long run make more money ... (Rant over)
We did pay an extra $9aud per night for a spa room ... I think the rooms are bigger (we were on the 8th floor) so if that's the case then worth it .. If not and you are just paying for a bubble bath then maybe not
Downside - we could not find any rooms that were king bed size and had a room with 2xqueens - they were very comfortable but would have preferred king bed.
Overall ... Very nice stay

Room Tip: Ask for sea/harbour facing room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. I’m pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay and made special mention of the great waterfront location and Boardwalk that is a comfortable stroll into the Esplanade restaurant and café area. Mondo Café Bar and Grill is unique in it’s premium waterfront location and is a favourite for locals. I hope you’ve enjoyed the escape from the English winter and that we’ll be able to welcome you back again to the Tropical North some other time.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I recentley stayed at the Cairns Hilton, and overall, the stay was quite enjoyable. A beautiful and tranquil location.
Unfortunately I do have to make one complaint; during my stay I had the included breakfast each morning, and the food was fantastic, however service not so much. Lana (or Lena) was absolutley fantastic in her genuine, professional approach, and her genuine care for her guests makes the world of difference.
What stumped myself and my partner on our last few days was the way in which the restaurant (or perhaps F&B) supervisor (not sure of her name, however she was fijian), treated her staff.
I come from hospitality and I understand the demands and complexities F&B, however over a few days I noticed extreemely rude and demeaning comments, unprofessional tones, and poor management techniques. This really did start our days fustrated and feeling very sorry for the other staff who were working fast,and efficently, but were treated with such disrespect. Not only that, the woman was particularly rude to me upon arrival.

I will return to Cairns Hilton, but I will not be eating at Hanumans due to this mistreatment. I really hope this finds the right person so that this can be improved. From what I saw, Hanumans is comprised of a great team, however, with insufficient leadership, this will change.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sarah J

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. I appreciate you taking the time to write and acknowledge your concerns regarding specific members of the team. This comment has been noted and addressed. I’m pleased that you’re overall stay was enjoyable and you noted most aspects of your time with us as 5 out of 5 – thanks for the great feedback. I hope we can welcome you back to the Tropical North again soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Executive room and lounge are fabulous! People are friendly and helpful! Good location, walking distance to lots of places! But one thing, the bathtub is just deep enough and when you shower, you definitely wet the whole bathroom. Have to squeeze myself to the wall and glass panel to avoid splashing... Overall loving it!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank ChristineLim22
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Christine,

Thank you for the review via Tripadvisor. I’m delighted to read that you’ve enjoyed your Hilton experience making a special note of our prime waterfront location – walking distance to so much of what cairns hs to offer. I hope we can welcome you back again when next you travel to the Tropical North.

John Lucas

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

This Hilton send to have been forgotten, with a mildewy rusted appearance in different areas. This isn't noticeable on the Web images, but definitely is when you're there. They were having major issues with the internet, forcing everyone staying there to congregate in the muggy lobby for the free wi-fi. The breakfast was great, and the staff very sweet. The pool area has rust on some of the pillars. It's just sort of sad-looking. Tried to leave a day early, we were so frustrated when we first got there. Also.. Very weird showers! There isn't a door to keep water from collecting on the bathroom floor. I've seen no-door type showers at other Hiltons which are nice, but this is not done right. It's just a nuisance.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I’m disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your Hilton experience. We value feedback from our guests and take note of your areas of concern.

John Lucas General Manager