“Still good”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed December 4, 2012

You might note in my last review i jumped ship from the Shang to the Hilton as past guests were not appreciated at the Shang.

So firstly. It is unusual that there should be so much time elapse between visits to Cairns, Que sera!

Hilton has a big plus because a 17yo is still charged as a child so we did a double double. overlooked the inlet and Pullman Reef. Quiet as. We had exec floor (thank you!!) and ate in Hanuman. Great fresh food and good service. My favourite part is the usable pool IMHO one of the few in Cairns.

Totally happy so we finished off our bookend back in a Spa room. OK..minor hitch, no hot water but really wasn't needed. Service in exec lounge was OK (still ran rings around Shang, but sparkling water isn't sparkling wine..you need the water to drink the wine). Breakfast was very good.

Check outs and check ins were both of high standard.

Great sleep quality (even if I had to share with GD)

Back again..yep!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review and for your continuing support for Hilton. I’m very pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay and chose to upgrade to one of the premium Spa rooms and Executive Floor rooms. Hopefully, not so long before you can visit us again!

Hilton Cairns

Write a ReviewReviews (2,383)

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed here last week for 2 nights. Cairns isn't my favourite place but the Hilton made the stay there worthwhile. I would definitely not hesitate to return. The bed was super comfy, the service was very efficient, the spa bath in the room (8th floor) was nice and the buffet breakfast (we had it included in our advance purchase rate) was amazing. I wish I could eat there every day! The pool was lovely too. Very windy on the day we were there but that is just nature! We tried room service which was great (cheaper than the mini bar!) and the front desk staff were always happy to help.

Our only negative was the Hanuman restaurant couldn't seat us for dinner on the Sat night. I felt that they should honour hotel guests over walk ins as we are paying to stay at the hotel and should be able to use all the facilities. We were unable to experience the restaurant for dinner and we were turned away quite rudely. Then when we tried their other restaurant outside we were told the wait for food would be minimum an hour so we had to travel quite far to get some food at a reasonable hour!

Room Tip: I would recommend the spa floor if you like having baths (it is a small one person bath but the jets...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review for Hilton Cairns. We were recent winners of the Tourism Tropical North Queensland (TTNQ) Award 2012 for Best Luxury Accommodation so I’m pleased you’ve enjoyed your stay. I note you’ve highlighted the comfortable beds in the Spa rooms – these beds, which are throughout all rooms in the hotel, are the subject of many great comments from our guests and ensures a good night’s sleep. I’m sorry we couldn’t assist with seating in Hanuman, we do always keep some tables aside for in-house guests and it’s possible they had already been booked. I hope we’ll have the chance to welcome you back to Tropical North and Hilton Cairns again soon.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We live an hour away from Cairns & often travel here for functions, shopping etc. Our favourite place to stay is the Hilton. As diamond members we are treated very well & always stay on the executive floor. The rooms never disappoint. Our last stay a few days ago was perfect, our room overlooked the inlet, was very clean, had everything you could need and was quiet. The location of this hotel couldn't be better, a short pleasant walk along the boardwalk to many restaurants. The shopping outlets too are very close. The executive lounge has wonderful views where you can have tasty canapés and drinks watching the sun set and the city lighting up. The staff in the lounge are very pleasant too. I guess the only problem I have in this idyllic hotel is that Mondo's doesn't really cater for vegetarians and we are a growing sector of the population, I've tried a couple of times but am always disappointed. The last meal I had here was hardly touched and I had to eat somewhere else, no apology when I said to the waitress "that was awful". A beautiful ricotta & spinach quiche with salad would be nice, or fresh pasta with pumpkin, rocket, walnuts, mushrooms & parmesan, how hard is that?? We'll be back soon to the hotel but eating at one of the dozens of other restaurants surrounding the area.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SeniorSailor
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review of Hilton Cairns. As a local – thank you for the ongoing support and your endorsement – it’s appreciated. You may have seen recent media that celebrated our 25th anniversary and I’m pleased to say we’ve been consistent throughout as one of only a few hotels in Cairns that have not changed our branding in all that time and have proudly been a Hilton since we first opened the doors.
I look forward to welcoming you back with us again soon,

Reviewed November 23, 2012

The HILTON quality is still good in the room, but it was the worst in my more than 10 worldwide Hilton hotels experiences.

1.The Japanese staff has not been well trained.
I guess he is a working holiday guy? His behaviour was not better than that of a school boy who has luck of social experiences. He is not a Hilton quality person.

2. Horrible internet environment.
As all of you already know, the internet environment was horrible. Some of you had already explained to me or other guests many times. Do not forget that we guests never want your explanations but just renovations.

3. Construction noise from early morning.
Before 8 o'clock in the morning every day, construction right out of the balcony began and made lots of noise all day.

Overall, it was not a value of almost $500USD per night.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Sukjai R
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Sukjai,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor feedback. I’m sorry to read that you haven’t enjoyed your visit and note your comments. My team are regularly praised for their service skills so I’m sorry you did not find this to be so. Our internet is service is soon to feature the Hilton ‘Stay Connected’ service which will provide fast and efficient connectivity. I’m unsure what construction you are referring to, there are no works happening at the hotel – the only works in the vicinity is a neighbouring building having external works completed – this is low key and has no impact on Hilton guests.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Right on the waterfront and close to amenities. Room v pleasant, even if we didn't have a waterfront view.good food and excellent staff. Free Internet. Spacious and attractive reception. Pool area v quiet and great for relaxing.

Room Tip: Ask for waterfront view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review for Hilton Cairns. I’m pleased to read you’ve enjoyed your stay with us, noting the team and food service in particular. I see you are a long way from home but hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Tropical North of Australia when next you travel our way.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Perfect 5 star hotel in an otherwise disappointing locale. I stayed 2 nights, before and after my liveaboard dive trip out of Cairns. So glad I did! I got just the pampering I needed. Terrific staff! Very helpful and always cheerful. I got my room upgraded both times. First, I got an executive level room which got me breakfast and WiFi access (but only in the executive suite). The second visit, I was upgraded to a spa room. Puurfect. For once, I could use the tub AND watch TV at the same time since there was a glass wall between the shower/tub area and the bedroom. Never fear, tho, you can lower the shade for privacy.
My big complaint is lack of adequate WiFi in Australia in general and in one's hotel room, specifically. Whay can't I get WiFi in a 4 -5 star hotel room, gratis? I was traveling on business as well as pleasure, and what a pain to check emails and communicate with colleagues from the lobby!
Lovely, quiet rooms.
Oh, one problem, the area from the elevator to your room is open to the weather. It had rained a bit, and I slipped right in front of my door! Please rough up the tile floor or replace it with non-slip surfaces. I would have been really upset if I'd missed diving because of a serious fall.

Room Tip: Check the web for specials!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JoT-OSU

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review via Tripadvisor for Hilton Cairns. I’m very pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed your time here with us. It’s great to read you did some diving at the Great Barrier Reef – one of the world’s best diving locations – I hope you enjoyed the experience. I note your comments regarding Wi-Fi and I can advise readers that we are in the final planning stages of a project to offer a new high speed wireless Broadband solution that will provide fast and reliable connectivity, in the meantime guests can enjoy the free Wi-Fi offered in our lobby. I hope we can welcome you back to Hilton Cairns when next you travel to Australia.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

This Hilton is in a great location in Cairns, right along the esplanade along the water by plenty of restaurants. It is also walking distance to the piers from where the boats leave for the great barrier reef.
The rooms are very spacious and clean and the beds are very comfortable. The balcony overlooking the inlet has plenty of room for two people to enjoy it comfortably and watch the sunrise over the mountains across the inlet. There are plenty of birds flying about by the pool and outside that you will truly feel like you are in a relaxing tropical atmosphere.
Note however there is construction at a site nearby but there wasn't a lot of noise coming from it (we could only hear noise from the construction on the balcony during the day) and you can't see the construction from the rooms or balconies unless you lean over the railing of the balcony and look straight down to the right.
The staff was very helpful and attentive to all of our needs. The breakfast is a great buffet style breakfast with many options to choose from.
I would definitely recommend this hotel based on its atmosphere, spacious rooms and location.

Room Tip: It's definitely worth it to get a room with a balcony overlooking the inlet. It's such a rel...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Globetrekker,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. I’m pleased to read you’ve enjoyed your time with us here in Cairns. It sounds like you’ve been quite active having made great use of the waterfront location and short walk to so much of what this region has to offer. Local authorities have just completed a $20m redevelopment of the Foreshore and the area looks great – there’s play area for the children plus walks pace to sit and enjoy the view. I hope you’ll have the chance to return to Cairns sometime soon and once again enjoy our beautiful surroundings.