“Great stay”

Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Fairhope, Alabama
“Great stay”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We arrived early on the 24th and had an excursion planned before check in. The hotel staff was very accomodating and neatly lined all of our bags together while we left the hotel.

Perfect location for anywhere walking downtown or the restaurants/bars along the water.

Spacious rooms with nice balcony and great views.

Service was excellent. Everyone was so friendly and fun to talk with. Once I had to apologize that I took so many of their maps b/c they were always giving me maps and pointing out fun places to see.

If we are lucky enough to visit Cairns, we'll definitel stay here. Thanks!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PalmettoO8
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear Mobilebama,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via TripAdvisor – it sounds like you’ve had a great stay in the Tropical North. I’m pleased to read that you found our waterfront location so convenient and enjoyed the views from the private balcony. There’s a lot to explore in this great part of the world and we’re pleased to provide a range of maps, tour and attraction information – also our team have great local knowledge and can recommend the many things to do. We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

John Lucas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 12, 2012

notified that I would and did arrive at 11pm. No bellman, concierge and 3 sets of 4 steps between driveway and front door. Lugged our 5 bags to the counter where duty manager Melanie was checking in a guest. Waiting, waiting - Melanie wants to chat to guest - and what will uou be doing in Cairns - guest answering in monosyllabel words clearly wanting just to get his key and go sleep. She announces that she has upgraded him to a spa room - which he says he won't use as leaving early. Melanie departs and new reception person comes - checks us in and gives us key - no offer of assistance with bags ( we are two older women). Arrive at room. Key doesn't work. Red light. Down I go - man re formats key - up again, key works, room as hot as Hades. Very normal room - when booked and pre-paid therapeutic spa room. Ring reception just to advise them - man says will bring keys for spa room - we say no - just wanted to advise you, but man insists. We wait and wait - then take all bags downstairs - no-one arouind. After a while man comes out and informs duty manager Melanie to speak to us and out she comes only to inmform us no douible spa rooms left. 12pm now. Not happy. Why did you tell me there were such rooms - well here isn't and really there is no difference with the room you are in and the spa room - well why suggest we move ???? Why charge more for a spa room ? Back to lift with 5 bags - melanie says she will help us up. I say no thanks - don't need any more help - to which she shreiks - well what would you have me do - push someone out of their room. Ah..no..says I and goodnight. Stayed at Hilton as thouight could guarantee someone would be there on check in etc as international 5 star hotel. I was wrong. Not a hotel to come back to. Bizarrely bad service.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank tuftif
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the comments following your stay with the hotel. I’m sorry to read that there were delays on arrival and some confusion with your room allocation. Your feedback has been passed to those concerned for investigation and review.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I stayed here after for a few days after a trip to PNG and had a great time. It was close to the docks and a reasonable price. The room was clean, the bath was nice and the view of the water was great! I was only here for three days but the location allowed me access to the boats so I could scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef and close enough to the town that I could walk to get some food. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted to check out this part of Australia.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank James B
Dear James,

Thank you for your comments following your stay here at the Hilton Cairns. It’s great to read you’ve enjoyed the hotel, the services and the great location. The Reef Cruise Terminal is just a short stroll along the water making the Hilton a very convenient hotel for any day trip or dive excursions. I hope we can welcome you back again another time.

Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2012

This is an attractive hotel with recently renovated rooms in a prime location in downtown Cairns. Unfortunately, it is poorly managed and suffers from a multitude of problems, many of which have most likely been caused by over-aggressive attempts to cut costs.

No doormen or bell staff were present on the weekend when I checked in - none were present the following weekend either. Just a single front desk employee, that's it. I would up carrying my own bags up to my room after I checked in. The one front desk clerk on duty didn't offer to get a bellman - most likely because there were none to be found. Throughout the week, it was not uncommon to see line-ups of 3 or 4 guests waiting to be served by the single front front desk clerk on duty.

Internet service was unreliable throughout my stay, despite the advertised charge of $30 per day. One day, the hotel had no internet service at all from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

The air conditioner failed in my room, and despite having advised the front desk clerk about this problem at 11:00 AM, no-one did anything about it until 3:00 PM, at which point I was transferred to another room because the air conditioner was deemed to be beyond repair. The air conditioner in the new room worked, but the internet didn't. It took 6 hours - from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM - before I could settle down to do work in a room that had both functional air conditioning and functional internet.

Some clever bean-counter has reduced the airflow out the bathroom exhaust vents to such a low volume that the bathroom mirror totally fogs up after even the shortest shower is taken. The result of this is that if you want to shave or comb your hair, you get to do it in the main part of the room, using the mirror near the bed. These kind of money-saving tricks can be tolerated at a $50 Ma and Pa motel, but are just not acceptable on the executive floor of a Hilton, especially when the rack rate of the room is $499 a night (I paid $220 a night, including the internet charge).

There is no weatherstripping of any kind around the perimeter of the guest room doors, and no door sweep at the bottom of the doors. The hotel has an open central atrium, and all the hallways are constructed of tile floors and concrete walls (exactly the same architectural practices found in a maximum security prison). The result of design shortcoming is that whenever any guest makes any kind of noise in the hallways, even something as commonplace as walking down the hallways in high heeled shoes, every guest can hear it loudly and clearly inside their guest room. This is NOT a quiet hotel.

The lack of weatherstripping and large gaps at the bottom of the guest room doors also permits insects such as cockroaches to easily enter the rooms... at least, that's what the manager on duty told me when I went downstairs to report that I had been woken up by a cockroach crawling up my leg at 1:00 in the morning. I squashed the cockroach, and the manager was kind enough to give me a fresh set of linen to carry upstairs and use to change my own bed linen. This in a hotel that advertises itself as a 5 star property?

On the positive side, the staff (the few that there are on duty at any time) are very courteous. They are especially good about apologizing for all the various hotel shortcomings - it's clear that they have had lots of practice doing this.

All things considered, this is NOT a businessman's hotel. If you are in Cairns to do business and you want a first-class hotel, this is NOT the place for you. Where that place is, I don't know, but the next time I come back to this city, I'll try to find out. Despite the courteous and friendly staff, I won't be coming back here. There are just too many screw-ups and too many deficiencies.

Someone who is in a decision-making capacity in this hotel is prioritizing monthly or quarterly financial performance ahead of maintaining Hilton brand standards, and the results are not pleasant for the guest. Eventually, that person will find out that no-one has ever 'cut their way to greatness' in the hospitality business.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't face the river (ocean) are quieter, because you won't hear the noise coming...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank solotravellerCanada
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns. I am, of course, very concerned to read that your experience did not live up to the expectations and apologise for the shortfalls. Be assured these comments are shared between the Department Managers for review and action as appropriate. I’m pleased to read that you found the staff to be courteous and enjoyed the hotel’s prime location on the Cairns waterfront.

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Excellent location, excellent rooms. Near esplande street, convenient for shopping, food, and swimming. The front desk are very friendly and willing to help. I booked a trip to green island online. The tour guide did not show up on time. The front desk make phone call contact the trour guide for me.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pingichou
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to comment following your recent stay here at Hilton Cairns. I'm very pleased to read that you've enjoyed your stay, highlighting our great central location right on the waterfront. I note that you were assisted with your tour booking problem by Kim, one of our dedicated Front Desk team and I'm glad you found her helpful.

I hope we can welcome you to Cairns again when next you travel to the Tropical North.

Blue Mountains
Reviewed January 28, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the Hilton, with our extended family of 6 people (3 adults, 3 children). We had 3 harbour view rooms - 2 interconnecting rooms + 1 additional room. The rooms were clean and modern, with beautiful harbour and mountain views.

The pool was warm and lovely for the kids. We spent a bit of time at the pool and it was generally quiet.

The service at Mondo's with our "dinner, bed and breakfast" package was less than ideal and we raised our concerns with the management...

We would stay at the Hilton again, if we needed accommodation in Cairns.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms are lovely. Beware of the Mondo's service on a "dinner, bed and breakfas...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Dear Samoa_Wedding,

Thank you for your review of Hilton Cairns via TripAdvisor. I’m pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed our stay, especially the ideal location and backdrop of mountains and our water views. The pool is a great size and, even when it’s busy, there’s plenty of space for everyone to enjoy some sunshine and relax.

I hope we can welcome you back again when you travel to the Tropical North.

Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We are Hilton honors members and try to find Hilton's wherever we travel. The service was top notch here in Cairns. The hotel just had a complete renovation and was looking beautifully fresh & new. The hotel has open coridors leading to the rooms. Our room was large with a balcony that overlooked the water - very nice option for quiet contemplation & cocktail at the end of the day or room service (pricey) for breakfast. The tiled bathroom was lovely..big fluffy towels & robes. The pool was HUGE & WONDERFUL....beautiful tropical landscaping and abundant, comfortable furniture. The location of the property is perfect for walking everywhere. Cairns is a small, easy walking town. Walked to the marina for our day trip to the reefs (Quicksilver is an awesome company). Took a tour to Kuranda by skyrail/train which was interesting. We had a fabulous meal at the Banana Leaf!!!!
We would highly recommend Cairns and the Hilton for a few days.

Room Tip: Spa floors are great
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Dreamdestinations,

Thank you for your comments via TripAdvisor following your stay here at the Hilton Cairns. It sounds like you’ve had a great stay and I’m so pleased you’ve enjoyed your Hilton experience, your comments reinforce why we were the QHA Winner of the Deluxe Accommodation 5 star Award for Queensland in 2011. We’re fortunate to have such a premium location, both on the waterfront and just a short walk to the city centre. Thank you for your loyalty and commitment to the Hilton Honors program – it certainly has some key benefits to regular travellers such as yourselves.