“A good hotel - It lived up to our expectations, you should not be disappointed”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Hilton Cairns
Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed 3 night (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) on a long week-end away for leisure. Our room was a Standard Hilton Guest Room on the 4th floor (lowest level with accommodation) City View. This was apparently the last available room in the Hotel.

We have stayed at the hotel before and found it remained up to standard.

We ate at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast, used room service and valet parking.
Our stay was very nice and relaxing. Our room was spacious enough with two queen beds, refurbished bathroom and a very pleasant balcony with views to over CBD, Casino and The Esplanade through trees. There was a lovely comfortable bed with great pillows, big TV and pleasant decor, even though it was dark, Hilton brown colours.

I enjoyed relaxing on the balcony with a paper, drinking coffee and generally unwinding. Even from the lowest accommodation floor the view was good. At this hotel you will get a City View or a Water View over the Inlet. Either is very pleasant. The way the hotel is designed and located, I don’t think it is possible to get a room with no outlook, or directly facing another building.

The location is excellent, one of the best, if not the best in Cairns. Maybe the Shangri-la would be better, but I have not stayed there. The Hilton is on the waterfront, across the road from the Casino, near the ferry departure point. The city centre is an easy walk. Located at one end of the Esplanade, allows easy access to the walkway, park and pools. The hotel also has an excellent pool, which we did not use on this visit.
In addition to the hotel restaurants there are many excellent places to eat along the waterfront right next to the hotel.

The room had a lovely shower, over the bath (and I am fussy about my showers) that gave plenty of excellent hot water. The only downside was the lack of a proper shower screen. Water flooded everywhere !!! The room was originally designed for a bath with a shower curtain, and in renovations it has been replaced with a very short section of glass at the shower end of the bath. Not really adequate. However, I know from previous stays some other room categories have proper showers.

The restaurant Hanuman was excellent if you like spicy food. I thoroughly recommend. We did not try the Mondo Cafe Bar and Grill, but it may be more suitable if you do not like spicy food, but there is just about every option you can think of a short walk from the hotel.

Buffet breakfast was good, with a huge selection of Asian breakfast food catering for the majority tourist crowd. Western options were very good too. They actually managed to keep the bacon and sausages hot, which is feat for most buffet breakfasts. Eggs can be cooked to order.
S
ervice was good, friendly and efficient, although I did have to drag my bags up the stairs and into the foyer before a porter materialised. It would have been nice to be met curb side.

Overall this is a really good hotel and I will stay again.

Minor areas of disappointment: (these are minor, but I am know to be fussy)
- No porter/doorman to help with luggage into hotel.
- On the first evening room service delivered our Latte’s in paper cups!!! At room service prices I expect china or glass. Subsequent evenings our request for proper cups was cheerfully complied with.
- Room service meal was cold. Keeping meals hot is a challenge, but some places manage to achieve it. Despite the tepid temperature, the food was fine.
- High Speed Broadband wasn’t!!! At first it was as slower than an old dial up connection. When I complained, the staff cheerfully offered to reboot the server. When I tried again later the connection did not work at all. I was referred to the external service provider. After a number of phone calls to remote a remote help desk, there was no solution and we gave up. For us this was a minor inconvenience, but I can imagine for a business person the lack of internet access could have been a major issue. On check-out reception cheerfully credited the $29.95 charge for internet usage, when I pointed out that I was reluctant to pay for something that did not work.
- Noise penetrated our room. Not from activity outside the hotel, as this seemed well insulated, but from people in the corridor and other rooms doors slamming closed. The doors had a heavy duty return mechanism and tended to close with an almightly thump. It did not worry us, as we are heavy sleepers. Perhaps a light sleeper may have been concerned.

Tips:
- When booking Hilton I always recommend searching for discounted rates through third party channels. The Hilton lowest price guarantee on their website is not to be believed. However on this trip we did book direct with the hotel as third part channels showed the hotel as full.
- If you have a car, consider using the valet parking. They charged $15 per day for the valet parking and $9 per entry for the park yourself option. Not only is the valet parking more convenient, but if you go in and out more than once each day, it is cheaper.
- If you want to eat breakfast at the hotel, make sure you get it included in your rate. This will work out cheaper than getting a room only rate and then paying for the breakfast. Especially if there are two of you. Check costs when reserving in case things have changed.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2011

Dear Knowntobefussy

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of the Hilton Cairns - you have covered everything !. I’m very pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed the hotel, the unique location and the friendly team – these are key elements to a great experience. Noting you’ve stayed with us before I’m sure you found the newly refurbished rooms to be of a high standard .. of course the great view from your private balcony has always been a key feature. I acknowledge the minor areas of concern and these have been addressed internally as being constructive feedback – thank you. We all look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to Cairns.

John Lucas | General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,331)

Reviewed August 19, 2011

The staff is very friendly & willing to answer questions. the location is awesome, we had a room facing the sea which was amazing. The esplanade is only 5 mins, the restaurants, shopping is all within walking distance. great place to stay

1  Thank bbhesania

Dear bbhesania

Thank you for your great comments via TripAdvisor for Hilton Cairns. We are indeed in a great waterfront location with the ‘heart of town’ only 5 minutes walk away. Having the Reef Cruise Terminal so close ensures there’s no need for taxis or transfers, leave the Hilton and you’re aboard the Reef Cruise vessel in just 5 minutes. Noting you’re an international traveller I’m sure you don’t come to Cairns often but I hope we can welcome you back another time.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Had 2 nights at the Cairns Hilton and had a great time. The staff were very friendly and I mean all staff, they all had a smile and a hello. The room was very clean and modern, could not ask for any more. Housekeeping can in twice a day. Thanks to all there at the Cairns Hilton.
The only down side was that the spa was not working, due to maintenance.

1  Thank wato35
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

Dear wato35

Your commentary on TripAdvisor is appreciated – thanks. It’s great to read you’ve enjoyed your stay … 2 days is a short stay in Cairns when there’s so much to see and do. I’m pleased you found the Housekeeping services to be of a high standard … with the hotel just fully refurbished it’s important the accommodation is well maintained. Sorry about the Spa being out of action – it’s all working again now. I’m especially glad you’ve experienced the friendly and helpful team here at the Hilton Cairns – I hope can return and relax a little longer next time !.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

The Hilton is my favourite hotel in Cairns, the rooms are always excellent, this time I had a room on the 6th floor with great views over the inlet. The room rate this time included a bottle of sparkling wine and breakfast for 2. I requested a king size bed and was pleasantly surprised to receive said room. The sparkling wine was fabulous sitting on the balcony watching the boats come back from the reef. Breakfast was all you could want and more. Give yourselves a big pat on the back Hilton, service second to none. I will return.

Dear Molly,

Thank you for the comments posted on TripAdvisor for Hilton Cairns. The team and I are so glad to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay so much. It is often the little things, like a glass of bubbles as the suns sets on your private balcony, that make a good experience great!. Be assured the team will see your comments – they always like to know they’re doing a great job. Noting you’re a local – I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

Booked Exec room, but was relocated to a spa room on level 8 as no inlet view rooms left on top floor. Manager person on desk at checkin good. As were other staff.

Nice room. plush bed, balcony, and a super view over the inlet and the mountain range beyond. Bathroom good, blind over spa able to be left up so that you can enjoy the view. And quite private too. Wine glasses in mini mar straight out of the Best Western by the look of them, not really up to scratch for a hotel that calls itself 5 star, and those Hilton 'mugs', ditch them, what's wrong with a cup and a saucer?

Exexcutive Club lounge just ok, food and beverage on offer pretty ordinary and pretty 4 star, both for breakfast and in the early evening. Lounge closed during the main part of the day, a little unusual for a club lounge, no? And the internet connection speed, woeful.

Looking forward to coming back and seeing if the balcony gardens and the exterior of the hotel have been brought up to scratch. Full of weeds and cigarette butts. Pool looked great online, in reality, so so, a bit cold for the tropics.

Room Tip: Inlet or city view only, otherwise you could have abosutely NO privacy (from adjacent Hbr Lts)
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Dear Michael

Thank you for your TripAdvisor commentary. I’m glad to read you enjoyed your stay in the hotel, especially the luxury of a Spa Room – the personal Spa is a great way to relax and unwind. Sorry to read that the food in the Executive Lounge was not to your liking and the Internet slow – I’ve passed this to the Lounge Manager and Chef for review. It’s great to see you comment that the staff were good – a friendly and efficient team is the key to a great guest stay.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

We spent three nights at the Hilton and were very pleased with our time there. We arrived early, well before the check in time, but after going for a walk and having an early lunch we came back to the hotel to find out that our luggage had been taken to our rooms. All of the staff was helpful and friendly but I especially loved the evening concierge, Doohee, who greeted us warmly at the door and who provided me with great advice on local attractions and restaurants. He is certainly an asset to the hotel.

The room had a lovely view with butterflies fluttering all around, it was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. There was a lot of space to sort out items from my luggage. (I was in week three of a five week holiday, sorting required!) One complaint I have (but by no means a deal breaker) was that my husband asked for a luggage rack however the hotel was all out. We were promised the next available one, but we never did get one. We had to use the ottoman for his suitcase. Breakfast was included in our stay and it had a decent variety catering to both the Asian and Western tourist. We spent a couple of evenings in the hot tub. It could have been a bit warmer, but there was a nice view. I appreciated the complimentary internet access in the business centre as well. The hotel is in a great location; easy walking distance to main attractions, restaurants, and shopping.

This was a great hotel situated in a great location and i'ts without hesitation that I would recommend it for a stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelOn9928

Dear Travelon

I really appreciate the comprehensive review of the hotel – thanks for taking the time. It’s great to learn that you enjoyed your stay and you specifically mention Doohee… he really is a great asset. He knows the local area well and has a great customer focussed personality. Be assured this has been acknowledged. !. It sounds like you were able to enjoy the North Queensland wildlife up close with Butterflies at your door.. in addition our guests will often see birdlife unique to the region, all from your private balcony. Coming from Canada it’s a long way here but I hope one day you’ll journey back this way.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We chose the Hilton being a 5 star hotel and was promoted as having refurbished rooms, good location and close to restaurants and pier.
However on arrival there was no concierge to assist with luggage, not even a staff member to open the door! struggled with luggage to Reception. We booked a king size room 4 months prior to our stay. We were given a 2nd floor refurbished room that was small, musty and dark furnishings, very disappointed after spending 10 days in a 5 star Port Douglas resort. What a difference in standard. This hotel is not 5 star!.
I commented to reception about the odour, they would not accept that there is a musty damp smell, I guess after working there for a while you get used to it.

Good points: Great location, Large TV, beds and pillows very comfortable, a good nights sleep.

Bad points: Musty odour throughout. Housekeeping very poor, coffee, milk and extra towel not replenished when serviced. Breakfast menu was not of a 5 star hotel. Mainly catered for the asian tourists. Paying for car parking.

A disappointing stay!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Chloe,

Thank you for the TripAdvisor review, I’m certainly concerned to learn that the experience fell short of your expectation. My apologies for the arrival at the hotel and the lack of a Concierge to assist – we always do have these team members on but they do get called away on errands from time to time – I expect this has occurred in your case. Also to learn the room was musty – the rooms are all newly refurbished and well maintained and I’ve passed this comment to the Executive Housekeeper who will review your floor and action as needed. I’m glad to read you did have a ‘goods night sleep’.. that’s what holidays are all about.
I hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Cairns.