We stayed 3 night (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) on a long week-end away for leisure. Our room was a Standard Hilton Guest Room on the 4th floor (lowest level with accommodation) City View. This was apparently the last available room in the Hotel.
We have stayed at the hotel before and found it remained up to standard.
We ate at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast, used room service and valet parking.
Our stay was very nice and relaxing. Our room was spacious enough with two queen beds, refurbished bathroom and a very pleasant balcony with views to over CBD, Casino and The Esplanade through trees. There was a lovely comfortable bed with great pillows, big TV and pleasant decor, even though it was dark, Hilton brown colours.
I enjoyed relaxing on the balcony with a paper, drinking coffee and generally unwinding. Even from the lowest accommodation floor the view was good. At this hotel you will get a City View or a Water View over the Inlet. Either is very pleasant. The way the hotel is designed and located, I don’t think it is possible to get a room with no outlook, or directly facing another building.
The location is excellent, one of the best, if not the best in Cairns. Maybe the Shangri-la would be better, but I have not stayed there. The Hilton is on the waterfront, across the road from the Casino, near the ferry departure point. The city centre is an easy walk. Located at one end of the Esplanade, allows easy access to the walkway, park and pools. The hotel also has an excellent pool, which we did not use on this visit.
In addition to the hotel restaurants there are many excellent places to eat along the waterfront right next to the hotel.
The room had a lovely shower, over the bath (and I am fussy about my showers) that gave plenty of excellent hot water. The only downside was the lack of a proper shower screen. Water flooded everywhere !!! The room was originally designed for a bath with a shower curtain, and in renovations it has been replaced with a very short section of glass at the shower end of the bath. Not really adequate. However, I know from previous stays some other room categories have proper showers.
The restaurant Hanuman was excellent if you like spicy food. I thoroughly recommend. We did not try the Mondo Cafe Bar and Grill, but it may be more suitable if you do not like spicy food, but there is just about every option you can think of a short walk from the hotel.
Buffet breakfast was good, with a huge selection of Asian breakfast food catering for the majority tourist crowd. Western options were very good too. They actually managed to keep the bacon and sausages hot, which is feat for most buffet breakfasts. Eggs can be cooked to order.
ervice was good, friendly and efficient, although I did have to drag my bags up the stairs and into the foyer before a porter materialised. It would have been nice to be met curb side.
Overall this is a really good hotel and I will stay again.
Minor areas of disappointment: (these are minor, but I am know to be fussy)
- No porter/doorman to help with luggage into hotel.
- On the first evening room service delivered our Latte’s in paper cups!!! At room service prices I expect china or glass. Subsequent evenings our request for proper cups was cheerfully complied with.
- Room service meal was cold. Keeping meals hot is a challenge, but some places manage to achieve it. Despite the tepid temperature, the food was fine.
- High Speed Broadband wasn’t!!! At first it was as slower than an old dial up connection. When I complained, the staff cheerfully offered to reboot the server. When I tried again later the connection did not work at all. I was referred to the external service provider. After a number of phone calls to remote a remote help desk, there was no solution and we gave up. For us this was a minor inconvenience, but I can imagine for a business person the lack of internet access could have been a major issue. On check-out reception cheerfully credited the $29.95 charge for internet usage, when I pointed out that I was reluctant to pay for something that did not work.
- Noise penetrated our room. Not from activity outside the hotel, as this seemed well insulated, but from people in the corridor and other rooms doors slamming closed. The doors had a heavy duty return mechanism and tended to close with an almightly thump. It did not worry us, as we are heavy sleepers. Perhaps a light sleeper may have been concerned.
- When booking Hilton I always recommend searching for discounted rates through third party channels. The Hilton lowest price guarantee on their website is not to be believed. However on this trip we did book direct with the hotel as third part channels showed the hotel as full.
- If you have a car, consider using the valet parking. They charged $15 per day for the valet parking and $9 per entry for the park yourself option. Not only is the valet parking more convenient, but if you go in and out more than once each day, it is cheaper.
- If you want to eat breakfast at the hotel, make sure you get it included in your rate. This will work out cheaper than getting a room only rate and then paying for the breakfast. Especially if there are two of you. Check costs when reserving in case things have changed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the city, the Hilton Cairns hotel is the perfect base for exploring the diverse wonders of this truly unique region, famous as the meeting place of two natural wonders, the Great Barrier Reef and World Heritage Rainforest. Our modern and inviting Cairns hotel rooms and suites are luxurious oases of comfort and convenience, offering pristine new bathrooms and spacious balconies with views of Trinity Inlet or Cairns Esplanade and the unique cityscape and blue-green mountain ranges beyond. Stay connected with the latest technology in the fully-equipped business centre. Enjoy relaxed, al fresco dining at the award-winning Mondo on the waterfront, or discover authentic italian flavours at Simply Italian. Experience modern, tropical, paradise today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hilton Cairns reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Cairns Hotel Cairns
- Hilton International Cairns
- Cairns Hilton International