“Cairns weekend”

Cairns Southside International
Ranked #55 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I chose this hotel as it was close to a conference center where I had to go, it was clean and reasonable budget accommodation. The pool needed a good clean and the old air conditioner was very noisey to have operating during the night. Nice restaurant and bar available. The hair dryer was ancient and didn't work, however they did supply a new one on request. Not to bad for a budget hotel.

Room Tip: Did hear much noise from other rooms but think it was a quiet time.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Following a long car journey to Cairns for my wedding I booked this place that all seemed ok and nice online when booking.
From the start one thing after another!
Nowhere on the website when booking does it state that they will not accept a VISA DEBIT card as a credit card security deposit (other major hotel chains have no problem with) , I was told that they would have to debit and then re-credit a $100 deposit or I would have to give cash, which i had to go back to a shopping mall to get.
There was not much in the way apologies for this not being mentioned when booking.
just the usual speal about company policy.

The hotel décor is dated and run down.
All rooms on the ground floor run off of a central hall way, there was an airport luggage trolley that guests used to move luggage out to the carpark.
A number of guests using this trolley woke me and my husband up at the crack of dawn.

The rear door to reception also ran off this hallway and every time someone used the reception buzzer it could be heard down the hallway.

The car park at the rear is used to run a tour bus operation and would block the driveway so you could not get out.
When entering the rear driveway the bottom of my car was damaged due to the driveway.

I have worked in hospitality for over 15 years and I would have gone to another property if i had not made the pre booking online.
This was nothing but a consistantly bad expereince.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KDowdell
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Cairns Southside, two nights on our arrival in Cairns before beginning our camping trip and again on our last night in Cairns before flying home.

Since we were driving, we were able to choose accommodation a few km away from the city centre, in a quieter location but still less than 10 minutes from the city. The huge Stockland shopping mall at Earlville is less than 300 metres up the road, great for stocking up for our camping trip.

The motel is set in very attractive grounds, with tropical gardens, swimming pool and restaurant. Although outside the motel, the paintwork was a little worn, inside we were pleasantly surprised with the fresh, airy decor, and polished timber furniture, not just melamine!

The room was clean, and the bed was comfy. The room also had a fridge and free wifi internet. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank merrallen
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed 4 nights. Very friendly staff, will help you with all your questions and give you great suggestions for things to do etc. The place is a bit outdated and it is a motel, the restaurant is good. It is about 10min from the esplanade and the port where the cruises leave. Great value for the money.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank aamomca
Reviewed August 16, 2013

On first arrival at the “Cairns Southside International” the general reception area appeared to be clean and the staff where modest, I Pre-booked a room online for a night with my partner, their website was appealing and at first seemed a nice place to stay stating that it was Four Star Accommodation" with many features, they also stated that no credit card or deposit was required.

When I arrived they told me that if I did not have a credit card I would have to give them a $100 deposit, so I gave them the $100 plus the room fee expecting a pleasant stay, but I was wrong as their website provided me with misleading information.

After paying the fee they gave me the key card to the room I was staying at, I went to the room and opened the door

When first entering the smell of the room was unpleasant and musky, after further inspection I noticed the tiles where greasy (Like a maccers floor) and the carpet had stains all through it, the air-con was disgusting and filled with dirt and gunk, the air filters had not been cleaned for some time.

The coffee cups provided where not clean and the filter in the sink was filled with gunk
on the wall their was a notice stating that “All dishes must be cleaned before departing” the last person(s) to stay failed to do this and so did the staff, further more it should be the staffs responsibility to ensure that every think was properly cleaned, this was not the case.

After entering the room I noticed that the bedding was inadequate and did not have enough blankets only a sheet and thin blanket in fact

Before going to bed I closed the Curtains when I was Disgusted!!! to find that their was blood on the Curtain ( A bad place to pick-up a STI) I immediately went to wash my hands thoroughly with the detergent provided which smelt like someone had pissed in it.

When leaving I complained to the staff about the state of the room and they told me if I did not fill out the survey in the room that they could not file my complaint

I would not recommend staying at this place as it would be a hazard to your health, it may be cheap but the general cleanliness is outrageous as to their cleaning team (If they even have one) they do a very poor job and this is definitely not a four star hotel, It should be closed down under the law of health and safety.

Room Tip: I Do Not Advise Staying Here Under Any Circumstances!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Jhon S
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in mid August and I was not disappointed.
You are situated about a 15 minute bus ride from the main marina but you save a fortune for this. There is a bus stop right out the front so it isn't a problem whatsoever. Means you have money to spend on awesome activities instead of incredibly expensive rooms.

Everything went smoothly, lovely staff, AMAZING food (the portions are huge) and happy hour in the bar with beer for $3!

A slight hiccup on arrival in that they charged me for my stay even though I had already paid online but both parties realised the next day and it was quickly rectified.

The only complaint was a TV remote that didn't work and the room times for cleaning were a little sporadic. You'd think after a long 12 hour day out of the hotel that when you come back your room had been done so you could relax but it hadn't. This was only one day though and not a huge issue.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Stevehicks123
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Booked room on line, and was delighted with a large , clean room on the first floor with kitchenette which was not required but handy to know for next time. Staff helpfull bar and restaurant on site meals were excellent.
No problem recommending this property.
Keith 8/8/2013

Room Tip: Deluxe Master suite upstairs front no road noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business