“decent hotel, if only it wasn't for the 9am renovation work”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We stayed in holiday inn cairns for 1 day in early may,
I had came in overseas before my partner on a 10 hours over night flight and was pretty knackered so it was great that holiday inn allowed me to check in early as I thought I could catch up on some decent sleep before my boyfriend arrived.

checked into the room, it wasn't brand spanking new with an old television, rusty in some places ( with a nice ocean view though ) but all I really care for was the clean beds and bathrooms that I've known holiday inn for.

however, that's pretty much where the good part of our stay ended.
I tried to get some sleep at about 10am, however, little did I know, the room right above us was under going renovation and it was just fantastic having a drill going off on you every 20minutes.
tried to call the reception and asked them if they could help out/do something to help out like move us elsewhere. all that was offered was a pair of cheap ear plugs that barely drown out any noise and was told that they were allowed to drill from 10am to 5pm.

however, about 8.30 am in the morning the next day renovation work has already started and drilling was going full force at 9am. which effectively managed to drive us out of the room by 10am.

if that's how holiday inn intends to get their guests to check out early, I'd say they're doing a pretty good job about it.

we understand that renovation noises are unavoidable but holiday inn could have at least stuck to the hours of work they have told us, or understand that no decent customer would want to pay to sleep right under a construction site.
for $130 a night, it's decent but not worth the headache.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Speliix
Write a ReviewReviews (2,262)

Reviewed April 21, 2010

My wife and I stayed for a week in April, the room had everything we needed including a safe. The breakfast at $19.50 was very good value when you consider all the courses you can have, we had one breakfast in a restuarant in the town which cost more for one course and coffee. Then we had dinner very near the hotel. Prawns were $21.50 and my wife left some they were that bad. The Holiday Inn for the same course was $ 17.00 and they were great. You could walk from the Hotel to all the cafes, pool, boats,mall, and the bus stopped right outside if you fancied a ride. Bill B.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BillyBoy21
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Hotel Was Nice Spacious,Trendy,Beautiful,Amiazing,Worth Visiting.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank cinemaxGandhinagar
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Looks nice from outside, but unfortunately the inside is very very tired, they do have a notice in the rooms to say that they are refurbishing however I donnot think that any hotel in which you are paying 130AUS per night should ever have got sooo run down. The rooms are small, we had a deluxe King room with ocean view, If that was a deluxe I'm glad I wasn't in a regular room. The duvet cover came out of the ark! the curtains were old and smelly and the carpet was atrocious. Yes I realise that things do age however there is no need for poor quality linen and pillows, the pillows obviously have NOT been deodorised for some time as were very pungeant. Would not recommend this hotel for the price

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RubyWellingtonNZ
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I stayed 2 nights in March 2010 at this hotel. There is ongoing ground-floor construction, and while most of it is invisible to the eye it is clearly disturbing to the ears during daytime hours. I had a ground-floor room, and while I ended up receiving a disabled room (even through I am not) I received a splendid view of a wall of lilacs butressing a 2x2 meter private courtyard, with car traffic directly on the other side (sarcasm intended). Try for a higher floor and an ocean view.

You really can't beat the location. Cairns' CBD is probably only 6 to 8 blocks square so everything is essentially within walking distance. It's a 10 minute walk to the public lagoon (swimming pool) with a magnificent view of the Coral Sea, the marina is also nearby. You can also head into town where there's plenty of restaurants, shops, convenience stores, and even a 4 screen movie theatre to spend your money at. I was planning to do a diving liveaboard on a boat for the next 3 days, so I wasn't looking to hang around the hotel or CBD all that much. There is a bottleshop at ground level attached to the hotel, however you can get cheaper prices in town or even at the convenience store only 2 blocks away.

I'll let my fellow posters comment on the pool areas as well as restaurant, both were facilities that I only viewed from afar and did not utilize.

Further out, the airport is 20 minutes away, I recommend you have the hotel make a reservation on SunBus to get you back there. It is much cheaper than taking a cab directly. Public Transportation stops behind the hotel and goes to some beaches up north (although I never explored this).

Lastly, the hotel does have an excellent concierge who is worth every cent. They work on a rotating basis but I was pleased with the two I dealt with. They were able to get me a booking to the Cairns Night Zoo (which was a nice way to spend the evening). Being that the immediate street area is pretty small they should be able to assist you in locating any service or item that you are seeking.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank frequent_trav_tx
DominicEgger, Manager's Comment at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2010

Dear Madame

Please accept my apologies as the guest room in your recent stay did not meet your expectations. Whilst exterior, lobby and restaurant renovations have been completed last year, we are very pleased to advise, all guest rooms are currently undergoing a multimillion dollar refurbishment. One third of the hotel is already completed and we expect to have the whole hotel finished in early June.

In refreshing the hotel, we are confident that with the addition of updated fixtures, fittings and décor the hotel will make an excellent impression and your disappointment will not be repeated in the near future.

Thank you for your observations, and we would be excited to welcome you back to a new look Holiday Inn Cairns in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Dominic Egger

Reviewed March 18, 2010

My wife and myself were planned our honeymoon in Australia in January and spent a few nights up in Cairns. Based on the review on this website we decided to book a week at the Holiday Inn Esplaned Cairns.

The location is great, the lobby pretty impressive but that's where I'll stop with the compliments. Everything else was well below par, the rooms extremely shabby and worthy of a 10 dollar a night backpackers than an international hotel chain. The staff were not particularly helpful, when we complained about our room the duty manager eventually showed up, wasnt particularly appologetic and showed us another room that was just as bad. We ended up spending three nights at this hotel and left half way through our stay moving to a much better hotel next door.

if you're contemplating staying at this hotel, please contemplate no more otherwise bitter disappointment will only follow.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hawaiihoneymooners46
DominicEgger, Manager's Comment at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2010

Re: Trip Advisor - review

Dear Sir / Madame

I was very concerned to read your guest review on trip advisor. Guest impressions of our hotel are vital in helping us provide the highest level of service to which we are committed. I would like to assure you that the issues raised are being addressed.

Kindly accept my apologies as the room did not meet your expectations. I am very pleased to advise, all guest rooms are currently undergoing a multimillion dollar refurbishment. The contractors have recently finished the first section, with all guest rooms expected to be completed in June.

Whilst we recognize your disappointment this outlines the need for the hotel to be refreshed. We are confident that with the addition of updated fixtures, fittings and décor the hotel will make a excellent impression to all visitors and these incidences will not occur in the future.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience of moving accommodation. I am disappointed to hear that the duty manager was not able to rectify the situation for you. Guest service training is currently addressed on all staff levels, with our refresh of the hotel.

Thank you for your observations, and I look forward to welcoming you back to a new look Holiday Inn Cairns in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Dominic Egger

Reviewed March 18, 2010

This hotel is a block or two north of most shops and restaurants, but is still a great base and easy to walk to and from the city center. The hotel rooms are basic, and our room had a small ant problem. Sugar ants - not a big deal. The hotel has a restaurant and a courtyard in the middle which adds to the tropical feel. The front desk travel agent was very helpful in planning our trip to the Reef for the next day. They had a lot of options and were very honest. The hotel is right across the street from the water (no beach). I'd stay here again for a short stay. They also honor American travel association discounts and government rates, which is a bonus.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple