“Friendly, comfortable and enjoyable stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Holiday Inn is located on the outskirts of the CBD, right on the Esplanade, with amazing views. The hotel is set in a sphere, so every room looks out either on the city or on the ocean. It is an open air atrium style hotel, so all hallways are outside. As a result, I did find a couple small critters in the room. That being said, they may have also been found in a completely enclosed hotel with any sort of patio.
Upon check-in, I was cheerfully greeted. I had placed a request on my reservation for a specific type of room. Unfortunately, when I arrived, the room they had set aside for me was not available yet, so a block had been placed on my reservation, which I appreciated - the management of the hotel took my request seriously and didn't want an agent changing me around without trying to accommodate my request.
When I entered the room, it was quite warm - I am guessing they turn the A/C off when a room is not occupied. Turning on the A/C and drawing the curtains, the room cooled down in a matter of minutes. The bathroom was small, but fine for just myself. I can see if I were sharing the room with a significant other, it would be quite cramped, but could be managed.
My journey to Cairns was for diving, so I didn't spend a lot of time in the room, but when I did, it was comfortable. The one caveat I have about the room, is the internet service. Yes, there is wi-fi, but it is pricy ($25AUD/nt) for what you get. The charge is for one and only one device and the wi-fi was shaky and slow at best. My connection would drop out and when it came back, it was only one bar. I think I only had full strength when I carried my laptop to my bag by the door when I needed to grab something out of the bag.
However, know that you are traveling to paradise, so internet should not be a determining factor when selecting this hotel. Know that it is in walking distance to anything in the CBD or at the pier. Know the staff is friendly. Know the rooms are clean. Know you will have a good experience booking the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are a premium and if you watch the sunrise or sunset from your room, it is worth th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank cam-e-o
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear Cam-e-o,

Wow, thank you for such a detailed review, we really appreciate the effort our guests go to when recommending our hotel to others.
We are very lucky in regards to the positioning of our hotel, right on the esplanade, you couldn't ask for a better location.
The hotel itself is set around an outdoor atrium which allows the natural light to flow through during the day. Yes, you may find some little critters; after all, it is the tropics. They love it up here, as do we.
I am glad to hear that you received great service and that management took care of your reservation upon check in.

One of the main features of our renovations was to install more eco friendly air conditioning systems. Our new air cons sense when guests enter and exit their rooms and turn on and off accordingly. Which saves a lot of power, but they really do only take a few minutes to cool the room down.
I am sorry to hear that you had a problem with your wifi, and we do ask guests to come and see us at the front desk as we can always try and rectify the situation for you. As for our wifi, we are currently looking at upgrading our internet policy.
You definitely are travelling to paradise; it truly is one of the most beautiful places in Australia. If your travels bring you to Far North Queensland in the future, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Holiday Inn Cairns.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Tropical Cairns is great in autumn - and the Holiday Inn is a great place to spend time up there. I found the location great, right opposite the RSL and only a 5 minute walk from the CBD.

I was impressed with the staff at the Inn, they were extremely helpful and went out of their way to make sure I was looked after, nothing was too much trouble.

I recommend it to all.

Room Tip: Plenty of well placed rooms for a view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bill M
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Dear Bill M,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. It is always good to see such active members of the online community

I agree with you, tropical Cairns is perfect during the autumn, winter period.

I am glad to hear that our staff was extremely helpful, we always try to go out of our way for our guests and I do believe this shows in our great reviews that we receive on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Great location and easily access city center or esplanade.
Room is spacious and clean. Bed and pillow are comfortable. Friendly staff and great services.
Good buffet breakfast.
Lovely garden.

Although the rooms are renovated and looks new, the building looks quite old from outside. The open corridors get wet if it's raining. (Of course you may get fresh air when opening the door on the other side)
The swimming pool is a bit small.
Internet access is not free even at lobby. You have to buy a drink from the bar to get an access code.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cooljill

Hi Cooljill,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are very lucky to occupy such a prime location here in Cairns. Located on the main esplanade close to all local amenities and an array of cafe’s and restaurants is something that our guests love.

We take great pride in our hotel to ensure that the rooms and amenities are of a high standard.

I am glad to hear that you received great friendly service.

We are also currently reviewing our internet policy. You might have also heard that the new IHG Rewards program (currently priority club) which is beginning in July will now incorporate free wifi for gold and platinum members and for base level members beginning in 2014. It is definitely worth checking out.

If your travels bring you to Far North Queensland in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Holiday Inn.

Warm Regards

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Have stayed at Holiday Inn several times for work - standard Holiday Inn set up with facilities, rooms, etc. Location is a little bit away from Esplanade/Cairns CBD, but close enough to walk to along the Boardwalk. Restaurant has a good selection of seafood, pasta, steak, etc.; buffet breakfast has a wide selection. Rooms are well set up with all that you need for business. Hotel is showing its' age but has been renovated to keep up to date. Staff/reception are always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dirranbandi

Dear Dirranbandi,

Our hotel is conveniently located just a few minutes walk to local amenities and attractions and just a 10 minute walk to the marina.

Our Sirocco restaurant has a fabulous selection of items on our menu, and we have a new menu coming out in May, which is extremely exciting.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Holiday Inn Cairns should you visit the Far North Queensland area again.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Cairns is a lively, 'happening' city and this hotel is just on the edge of the centre so quiet whilst conveniently placed. We were warmly welcomed on check in and, although parking is only $5 per night, the receptionist kindly waived this fee for our four night stay. As priority club members we were also invited to a drinks reception during our stay, which was a nice touch. Our room was very spacious, looking down at the pool and a partial view of the sea. As other reviewers have commented, the bathroom was small but perfectly formed - fairly typical for the chain. The central atrium of the hotel was very pretty with its trees and pools.
The swimming pool was fine, but a disappointment was that the 'pool bar' was a hatch into the side of the liquor store so there was limited choice and gin and tonic came out of a can! A large hotel should do better than this.
Just across the road, the Esplanade is full of cafes and restaurants; the nearest is the RSL club where meals are very reasonably priced. In a 15 minute walk you can reach the Cruise Reef Terminal for boat trips.

Room Tip: Ask specifically if you want a good sea view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovegeog

Dear lovegeog,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. It is always good to read such great reviews.

We truly are in a prime location, right on the main esplanade, and only a few minutes walk to local amenities and attractions.

I will pass your comments on regarding your beverage, and I am sorry that this did not live up to your expectations.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here for 1 Night. Favorite thing was the view and location. Second favorite thing was the service, the staff who were on were extremely friendly, helpful and understanding. They really do care about your experience.

The room itself (Twin studio) was very modern and comfortable (Even for four adults). It couldn't fault it, other then the windows being a bit cloudy.

Most of all it was SO cheap. $120per night for 4adults in 2 double beds = $30each. So cheap for such a luxury feel.

I Recommend staying here.

Room Tip: 533 was level 5, close to lift, and had a decent view of cairns the mountain and the water. Very mod...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Nathan B,

At The Holiday Inn, we really do pride ourselves on our customer service, and you only have to read through some reviews on Trip Advisor to see how happy our guests are.

Thank you for recommending this brand, it is through your great reviews that we can become a great hotel that guests love and enjoy.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Pleased we chose this hotel. It is conveniently situated within walking distance of most that Cairns has to offer. Reception/Lobby is open and welcoming and every member of staff we encountered was helpful and charming. Our room was excellent and we had a sea view from the 7th floor.We also had an excellent view of the dozens and dozens of large fruit bats that come out of their roost at dusk- an amazing sight which visitors at ground level might not be aware of. Bathroom very small indeed. Room for one person only so make sure you co-ordinate usage!
Took breakfast outside the hotel but ate dinner in the restaurant. Food really well cooked and presented. No more expensive than comparable restaurants outside. Only issue would be limited choice if staying longer than, say, four nights.
Only complaint would be relating to the swimming pool. Two of our party of 4 felt like a swim but did not stay at the pool very long. Part of the surround is tiles but part is gravelled. This is picked up on feet and transferred into the pool making it look less than clean.
WiFi is free in the lobby if you are eating/drinking in the hotel. We did not find it a hardship to sit with a cup of coffee in order to access the internet.
Overall we really liked this hotel and would definitely use it again

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mr. MJB

Dear Mr. MJB,

I am glad you enjoyed your lovely ocean view room, these really are beautiful rooms, and are our most popular. The fruit bats are quite a sight to see as they busily fly over each night at sunset.

I have made a note regarding the pool, and will pass this onto our engineering department.

Many of our guests don’t mind sipping on a cup of coffee or a glass of wine while they email their family or catch up on some work, it creates a lovely busy atmosphere in the lobby.