“A must see in Cairns”

and up
Cairns City Sunset Bike Tour
Ranked #6 of 121 things to do in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: The Cairns Botanic Gardens are a tropical paradise where you can explore the beauty of tropical plants, relax in stunning surroundings and learn about tropical flora and horticulture. The Gardens are open from 7.30Am to 5.30Pm every day of the year and entry is free. The Botanic Gardens includes several spaces used for demonstrating the diverse plant life that can be found within a tropical climate. The Cairns Botanic Gardens include: Flecker Garden Centenary Lakes - Saltwater and Freshwater The Rainforest Boardwalk Mount Whitfield Conservation Park The Gondwanan Heritage Garden
Cairns, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A must see in Cairns”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is one of the most beautiful botanical gardens I have ever visited. It's tropical and cool and there are plenty of places for families or couples to sit down and enjoy a picnic. The Indigenous plant area is a special highlight. This is a really unique place - some of the plants are just incredible. Even better - it's free! I would recommend visiting the gardens even if you are not really into horticulture or plants that much.

Visited August 2012

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lush and amazing”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Not only are there an amazing array of plants but also sculptures and statues. The old water tank is still available.

Visited October 2012
Armidale, Australia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“A jewel in the crown of Cairns”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is one of the key attractions for me and my family all of whom are interested in plants and animals. Set in the heart of Cairns it is a tribute to the foresight of the founders of the gardens which are peaceful and well documented. The indigenous plant section is very interesting and the gardens are a delight to visit all year round.

Visited November 2011
Napier
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great visit!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I recently took advantage of the free tours that are offered by the botanical gardens in cairns. Bird watching and garden tours are offered for free. I have never been bird watching but I loved my first experience of this. John is so knowledgable and a great guide. I highly recommend. The garden tour too was a treat. Well done!

Visited September 2012
Lisburn, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“a word of warning - listen up!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

While the botanic gardens are beautiful in themselves - this is a word of warning for any backpackers etc visiting this attraction alone. I decided to walk to the Botanic Gardens from my hotel in North Cairns, alone as I had just arrived and had noone to go with, and I made the mistake of walking through the surrounding parklands to get there.

I was instantly followed by a young aboriginal man on a bike, who followed me through the parklands until I was in the middle of some dense bush and he jumped off his bike, grabbed me from behind and tried to drag me into a nearby bush. Thankfully I had been carrying my shoes (they were killing me that day!) and I was able to use them to slap him in the face and startle him and he ended up grabbing my bag and camera and taking off on his bike.

When this happened I was alone in the middle of the dense parkland, with noone around and no roads nearby, and I had to run the rest of the way to the Botanic Gardens cafe where I was able to tell someone what happened and they rang me a taxi and gave me money to get back to my hostel. For the staff there, I am thankful.

So listen to my warning - dont attempt the surrounding parklands alone!

Visited November 2011