“Relaxing courtyard cafe & great food”
Review of Stratford Deli

Stratford Deli
Ranked #20 of 24 Dessert in Cairns
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A friendly cafe serving fresh, tasty food with great, friendly service. Light lunches, many vegetarian & gluten-free options. Eat in or takeaway. Located in Stratford Village, 10 minutes from Cairns centre. Eat at sidewalk tables, in the airconditioned dining room or in the tropical covered courtyard. Excellent catering also available.
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Was in the area, pass through often, & was looking for somewhere to have lunch. Found this place. Had a diverse menu & a sort of bohemian look about the place inside with a relaxing garden courtyard out the back. The staff were friendly & helpful when ordering & the food was fantastic. Everything from businessmen to families with the kids & friends catching up for coffee. A chilled relaxed atmosphere. Reminded me of the great little cafes with out the back garden dining in and around Leichhardt, Surry Hills, Glebe, Newtown & Darlinghurst in inner Sydney. Loved it & will be back to try more of the items on the interesting menu.

2  Thank Pantherboy

Reviewed October 31, 2013

After spending my entire lunch break waiting for a takeaway BLT and chips. I returned to the office where I had to eat my lunch at my desk, was horrified to find the bacon was clearly uncooked and the chips where soggy. I'm not sure why it took more than 30mins to prepare a raw meal. My colleagues & I will not return here if the food was free, which is a pity as we are locals and do eat out quite a bit.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

In the area wanting coffee we called in to the Stratford Deli. We approached the counter, saw one woman behind the coffee machine and another doing something else not sure what. We waited and waited. We then noticed another 3 staff in the kitchen, one texting on the phone and the other 2 just talking. Still we waited for service. Not once did anyone aknowlege us being there even though we said hello. The ladies behind the counter looked disinterested and blank faced. The customer ahead of us walked out. We eventually followed and walked out too. It was quite a weird situation. No one wanted our money or was interested in us being there. Something has changed here and we will be avoiding this cafe in the future. Seriously dreadful service.

3  Thank andyoz
Gail G, Owner at Stratford Deli, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are a small family business trading 7 days. It is impossible to be on site all the time, so we depend on our staff to provide good friendly service all the time.
Because we are not on the tourist track, we rely heavily on regular customers for our trade. Our aim to to ensure their return by being friendly and efficient.

Obviously this did not happen on the day you attempted to have a coffee, and I I was very disappointed by your encounter.

The people you saw in the kitchen were chefs and a dishy (none of who serve). This does not excuse the poor service in the front shop. I take all complaints seriously and have taken steps to ensure this will not happen again.

We have many happy customers and we are often complemented on our food and service.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I used to love coming here for a coffee and a treat...coffee is still great, but service is no longer friendly and welcoming. Still want to support a local business so I now only get takeaway coffees from here and go elsewhere for coffee dates unfortunately :-(

2  Thank MandKKGC
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I've always liked the food that I get at Stratford Deli, but it's the front counter service that is severely lacking. The guy is friendly enough, but talks WAY too much. That's all well & good when you haven't got other customers waiting to be served, but when there is, it's just plain rude.