“First attempt at dining out in Cairns”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Salt House

Salt House
Ranked #38 of 596 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Situated at Marina Point, next to the Cairns Yacht Club facilities, Salt House is a unique dining, bar and entertainment venue offering a panoramic view of the ocean, marina and city on the waterfront in Cairns.
BNE AU
“First attempt at dining out in Cairns”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

Having just recently moved back to Cairns from the Gold coast after 25 years away the changes have been huge! Not the least the amount of what appear to be good dinning places. Salt House we found when at the esplanade lagoon and decided to take very close friends that we hadn't seen in a while there for lunch with my Wife, Daughter and I we were not disappointed at all.
whilst a little weathered in appearance the place was still fantastic it made me think of Bali with the large amount of timber and the water features thru the place.
We were early so a few drinks at the bar was the idea and the margaritas were fantastic I believe, the selection of beers as well was very good and the bar staff knocked up a pretty darn good Virgin Colada for the 14 year old!
Our table was in a shaded but very nice spot and then the lunch came......
the oysters that we had were sensational, my wife and daughter shared the seafood platter for two again very good, I had a sirloin/porterhouse steak cooked to perfection with a really great sauce our friends had the fish and chips (coral tout so its really very good) and the Pork chop I understand was sensational as well.
Drinks kept coming from a great wine list and the coffees were good as well service was good the only thing I would say and this is across the bad since being in Nth QLD again is that clearing of empty glasses needs to be a high priority as from what we have seen at other locations its an after thought so if there is one small negative it would be that simply lack of clearing tables in a timely fashion.

• Visited January 2014
saltybean, Manager at Salt House, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Welcome back to Cairns firstly - we are glad to hear that your first dining experience was with us!

Our bar team make some amazing cocktails and we have received some fantastic reviews over the years. We do recommend you come down on Sunday as we have $10 mojitos available along with live music on the deck.

We will ensure to pass on your positive review of your dining experience to all the floor service team and our team of chefs who will love to hear about it. We will also discuss with the issue with the glasses to ensure that they are on top on it for next time.

We look forward to seeing you back again soon now that you are a local again!

• Korean first
Montreal
“A magical place with lovely food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

We arrived at this restaurant on the water & even as you enter, it enchants you. There are small waterways dividing up the bar with lovely lighting. The restaurant & bar look out on the sea with boats bobbing on the water. The staff were welcoming & helpful, watching the chefs work in the relatively open kitchen was interesting & the food was good. It was a memorable evening.

• Visited December 2013
saltybean, Manager at Salt House, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for choosing to spend one of your evenings in Cairns at Salt House!

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed the views, atmosphere and of course the food. We hope that you had a safe trip back to Montreal and we look forward to seeing you again when you next visit Australia!
“Had a great evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

This is indeed a nice restaurant. We stayed there for New Years and had a nice evening. Food was good, service was great and the atmosphere was nice. It is one of the less touristy restaurants in Cairns and a great getaway from the tourist buzz and the esplanade.

The restaurant becomes a large bar/discotheque at night for the young and trendy. Well worth getting a drink there at night also.

saltybean, Manager at Salt House, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for choosing to dine with us on New Year's Eve. It is always lovely to have locals bring in 2014 with us!

We will pass on your lovely words to our team of chefs and our service team who will love to hear that you enjoyed your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
“Bad situation made worse”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

I am not one to write negative feedback but in this situation I had no choice.
My husband and I both work in the service industry and appreciate good food, wine and service.
We made a reservation at Salt house as the menu on the board outside looked delicious and was also in a great location on the water front.
After finding out that the menu that was displayed at the front of the restaurant had not been adjusted to the copy inside, the waiter explained it had been like that for months and was quite embarrassed..
So I ordered the Seafood Linguini and side salad and my husband ordered the steak ( which on the board outside was grass fed but inside was grain fed)
Long story short my linguine was delicious until I started chocking on what I thought was paster but found it to be a 20cm piece of plastic (glad wrap)
I know mistakes happen but after advising the manager what had happened all of a sudden everyone avoided us.
We had to pour our own wine ,waited at least half an hour for someone to clear the dirty plates and our waters were not topped up once. The manager did comp my pasta and a bottle of wine with I am very appreciative for but I believe that a terrible situation like this could have turned into a great dining experience.

I wish I could have written a great review as I believe this restaurant has great potential.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Angelsday
saltybean, Manager at Salt House, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Salt House and we are sorry to hear that the experience did not live up to your expectations.

With a new chef and new menu and the festive season, unfortunately our team had not had time to update the menu out the front of the venue. Our apologies that this was not done for your visit and please be aware that our team are working on this immediately.

We would also like to apologise for the issue with your pasta on the night which was then removed from your final bill. We have discussed this matter at length with our kitchen team to ensure that this does not happen again. We will also discuss the service issues with our floor team to improve the service that we offer to our customers.

Once again, we apologise that your visit was not up to the usual high standard of Salt House. We appreciate the feedback to provide to our team for training and future development of staff. We hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to deliver on customer service.
Cairns, Australia
“Great food, great atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

As the title says - Great Food, and a great atmosphere. Pretty simple recipe for a great place for a night out.

Visited December 2013
saltybean, Manager at Salt House, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Hi Sammy,

Great to hear that you are a lover of Salt House! We love hearing that our locals enjoy the food and the atmosphere and we look forward to seeing you back again soon.