“One day in Cairns”

Book In Advance
More Info
$123.75*
and up
Cairns Shore Excursion: Barron Gorge National Park and Kuranda National Park...
Ranked #20 of 157 Tours in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: Specialising in Small Group tours, Discovery Tours Australia offer daily departures to Cape Tribulation & The Daintree Rainforest, Kuranda and beyond. Our extended tours operate from May until October and included tours to Cape York Peninsula (Cairns to Cape York) and The Savannah Way (Cairns to Darwin)
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I had booked this tour (Mossman Gorge, Daintree and Cape Tribulation) based on excellent results of Tripadvisor. Darryl and his lovely airconditioned van pulled up exactly on time. We collected another 4 travellers and off we went.
Darryl is a real character with extensive knowledge of everything local. My only complaint was that perhaps this tour could have been spaced out a bit more, but Darryl threw in an extra drive through stop at Port Douglas on the way back. Thanks Darryl for a fun and entertaining day.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"ancient rainforest"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We did the Mossman gorge, Daintree and Cape Tribulation tour.
We were picked up right on time by a guy named Darryl. He is very friendly and very knowledgable. Throughout the drive he was very informative, from the plants, animals to the reef to the indigenous. He knew it all. The day was spectacular. I would highly recommend anyone on a trip with him.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Discovery Tours Australia was the biggest disappointment and waste of money on my recent vacation to Cairns. We were a group of six, and we booked this tour because they advertised a maximum of nine people per tour, with three main stops: Cape Tribulation, Mossman Gorge, and the Daintree Rainforest. First off, our tour guide, Trevor, was 20 minutes late. Even though they advertised a luxury vehicle, we were picked up in an old 22 seater bus. There were 12 people on our tour, and when someone asked Trevor about it, he yelled at the whole bus and told us that we could get off if we had a problem with it. We should have gotten off the bus and canceled then (and I probably would have if I wasn't with a larger group), but we stayed and the trip only got worse. Our first stop was Mossman Gorge. Trevor told us that he would park the bus and meet us inside. So imagine our surprise and anger when he left half the group at the visitor center while he went on up to the Gorge. He did not tell us when and where to meet him, and apparently he rounded up some people and told them that he was "leaving without them," but he sure didn't tell me. Part of my group came running through the visitor center telling me he was leaving, and the poor lady behind the coffee counter came running after me with the coffee I ordered. Mind you, this all happened within 5 to 10 minutes. Another tour shuttle was nice enough to let us join them up to the Gorge, so we hopped on their bus and rode up to the Gorge with them. When we got there, one of the women left behind found Trevor and told him that he hadn't told us he was leaving right away, and all he said was that "he was done with her." She asked for him to arrange a ride back to the hotel and he told her no. It was a scene, and all he did was storm off and told us he wasn't talking to any of us. WHAT TOUR GUIDE DOES THAT?! He refused to show us around so we walked around and took pictures on our own, with no idea what we were looking at. He rushed us through (probably because he was throwing a temper tantrum), and we were in and out in maybe 20 minutes. Since we couldn't get back at this point, we were stuck, so we continued on. The next stop was a crocodile tour, which was interesting. We were able to grab coffee or tea, but again, we didn't have enough time to drink it, as we had to get on the boat. We stopped for lunch next which included a tropical fruit presentation, and then we drove up to Daintree. We drove to a lookout point, and then stopped to walk the short loop at Jindalba, where we spent maybe 20 minutes. We stopped at the Daintree Ice Cream Company and then were taken to a secluded beach. We did not get to see Cape Tribulation, the Rainforest Rehabilitation Site, Thorton Beach, or Rex Lookout. The tour guide talked some of the time, but I can't say he was informative most of the time. He told us that the day we took our tour was his 8th straight work day in a row, so he was tired. This is just not acceptable. When we were dropped off at our hotel, one of the guys in our group asked to speak to Trevor in private. He asked if there was anything Trevor could do to right the poor experience that we had...maybe he could ask his superiors for a partial refund since we didn't get everything that we had signed up for, and Trevor's bad temper flared up. He walked up to the other people in our group and told them that Australians don't like Americans because we think it's always about us. WHAT?! First off, the gentleman that confronted him at the end of the day did so nicely and in private asking for help to make this experience right. He did not accuse him of being a terrible tour guide (which he was) or being completely rude and inappropriate. Instead of rectifying the situation, Trevor just made it worse by going off on his racist rant, and making us all feel verbally abused and embarrassed. We paid $184 per person to be shown around on our holiday. Instead, our max group of nine was actually twelve, in a bus and not in a luxury vehicle. We were invited off the bus not once, but twice, and were left behind at our first stop. We were yelled at and ignored for a good part of the trip, partially because our tour guide was tired. If you are looking for a tour that really lets you experience the area, this is not it. You are rushed through too many stops. But, maybe with a different tour guide, all that rushing around might have been ok.

3  Thank cbitt26
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Of all the tours I've taken to the Daintree and the Mossman Gorge, the tour with Discovery Tours Australia was the absolute worse. The tour was supposed to be in a Mercedes luxury van with a maximum of nine guests. What showed up was a 22 seater that did not look anything like the photo. The upholstery was ripped and pictures were taped to the interior. There were 12 guests in the van.

The tour guide arrived 20 minutes late and we still had to pick up additional guests. A member of my party commented on the van and the tour guide was extremely rude, telling us if we did not like it we could get out of the van and go with a larger tour company.

At the Mossman Gorge Center, we were dropped off and the tour guide went to park the van. The tour guide said to use the facilities and he would meet us. My daughter went to get a cup of coffee. When the guide arrived he said to go to the trams and that he would gather the rest of my party. When I asked where my daughter was, he stated we could not wait. I understand that tours are on a schedule, but I asked him to give me a minute. I literary ran to restaurant and ran back to the tram only to discover he left. My daughter never saw the guide and never knew that we were to meet at the trams. The Mossman Gorge employee put us on another tram to catch up with the tour. The tour guide was at the beginning of the trail. I told him he never told us how much time we had at the center. He said to go to the center and he would meet us there. We did that. At that point he told me that he was done with us. He never spoke to us at the Mossman Gorge to give us any information. We basically walked to the end of the walkway and back to the bus.

After the river cruise on the Daintree River, I thought this tour might take a turn for the better. However at the end of the tour, I saw the tour guide talking to a member of my party. He then approached me and he was sorry we did not have a good time. The couple that we were traveling with commented it would have been nice to know that the van was not available. The guide then stated if we haven't noticed, that Americans are not welcome in parts of the world because we always feel it's all about us. I was shocked. That was totally unacceptable.

I can't believe I paid $184 each for someone to treat us like this. This was my forth trip to Cairns. We had a rental car and know our way around the area. We should have driven ourselves.

3  Thank Justme_iris