“Good but could be awesome ”

Gone Fishing Cairns
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

The charter was ok priced and we did catch a few but nothing we could keep which is fine and it happens. I think the guide could make areas of improvement to really make the tour good and overcome some bad reviews which I saw below. We didn't receive any real booking confirmation and so turned up to the boat unprepared. We had no water, food nothing and would gladly have paid for a bottle of water. The guide had an interesting personality and I can see how people may get rubbed up the wrong way. Personally it didn't worry me and I thought he was funny. On the website it said catch live bait but we didn't get to do this and watched the guide do it. He didn't even say "hey guys watch this I'm about to catch some bait" we kind of were like oh what is he doing. So I think when you are a guide and ppl are paying you, you really need to engage and put all your energy into showing them a good time. I did notice the guide get a little annoyed with some people who didn't had much experience so maybe a quick hey who has been fishing before question at the start just to cover off. Wouldn't rule this one out guys. Happy Fishing.

1  Thank heartnlight
in 4 reviews
"sharks"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Having been on more than 20 fishing charters, Gone Fishing is sadly right near the bottom.
The fishing itself would be great if you were a lazy spud who just wanted to take in the scenery, but if you're one of many people who don't mind getting their hands dirty and having some fun, this is definitely not the fishing trip for you.
I've no doubt that Jim trys to get you some fish but I also do not doubt that he considers all customers as inferior fishermen to himself and treats you as such. Ultimately this is Gone Fishing's biggest failure - recognition that WE are the customer and a charter should be fun.
In retrospect I wish that I'd headed down to the marina for a couple of days prior to gauge other people's reactions as they hopped off various charters as Trip Advisor was so varied in the reviews.

2  Thank RandolfQuaid
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Great fishing trip with my father in-law , Jim does the best he can to make sure you get a fish , it is a no rubbish, lets just catch fish kind of trip , would highly recommend Gone fishing .

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Sorry I don't recommend. No fish. No interesting commentary or information during. Only 3 spots tried in small area.

I would understand no fish occasionally if a refund or discount was offered in these times and if more interest and effort was put in to the time on the tour.

4  Thank Melbscaster
See more reviews
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This is the second time I have had to write my review. Although I had seen my review online, it has been removed - poor form Trip Advisor! prospective customer need to see the truth.

I have been on many fishing carters and this would have to be the worst ever!. It is a complete waste of money! Our main issue was the rudeness we had to put up with, Jim continually put my family and friends down, saying comments such as "It's obvious you haven't fished before.

All six of us couldn't wait to get off the boat and were really disappointed.

I have carefully read all of the reviews posted and the comments in the negative ones are the same as what we experienced.

3  Thank Dave B