“Very professional outfit”
Review of Reef Daytripper

Reef Daytripper
More attraction details
Owner description: Sail to the picturesque Upolu Reef on our charming catamaran for a relaxing yet fun filled sailing trip. Avoid the crowds and experience the Great Barrier Reef the way nature intended. With a maximum of 20 people we offer a friendly personalised experience.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I am 50 yr lady backpacker and have never snorkelled in my life. But it had to be done on the GBR! This outfit was recommended to me for the following reasons: Ex pom owner/skipper, max. 20 people, relaxed but professional. How right she was, I had the most magical day. Mark, John and Derek were excellent, very kind and very supportive for an old gal like me. I can't thank them enough, so a good review is the least I can do.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"sailing catamaran"
"personal service"
in 10 reviews
"complimentary glass of wine"
"crackers"
in 7 reviews
"great boat"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Reef day tripper is a brilliant personable boat! I came on this boat as a Certified diver wanting a relaxed and chilled out day on the reef where I can snorkel and dive too. The reef they go to, Upolo Reef, is a large and perfect for both snorkelling and diving.

The food is great and the staff really make an effort to get to know you. There were a lot of people who hadn't snorkelled before on the boat and they were all looked after and made to feel at ease. The staff all knew everyone’s name by the end of the day and you really fell that they enjoyed the day as much as you did.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had a fantastic time with Reef Daytripper. The guides all made extra effort to ensure we were comfortable on the boat introducing themselves and having a chat with all of us throughout the day, they loved their job and were happy to talk about it. A small group certainly made it more enjoyable. The safety and reef briefing was kept light hearted but factual.

It is a slow trip out, slower than the speed boats, however we found this relaxing and on the way out enjoyed time in the sun.

The reef locations were great, plenty of coral and fish to look at and see. We snorkeled on our own and just drifted around enjoying it all.

If you go in the "winter" months the snorkeling is much more comfortable with a wetsuit, for a minimum of AU$8 it was well worth it.

Great to go with a small business local operator, wouldn't have it any other way.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had a good day on the reef with Reef Daytripper but it's important to know how basic the operation is so you can plan accordingly. While it's a sail boat, they actually motor out to the reef. If you were expecting a quiet sail out, you'll be disappointed. That being said, they do put the sails up and if you just used the sails, you'd take 5 hours to get to the reef. It's basically an enclosed open area in the middle with bench seating but they can close up the doors in the front to keep the wind out. There's hot water and instant coffee/tea in the morning, but then it's put away and there is no more hot water, and no food for breakfast so eat before you get on board or bring something. They have plenty of water from a cooler but bottled water must be purchased. It felt crowded at first with 18 snorkelers on board in the enclosed area, but once underway people moved to the outside front of the boat and scattered around the inside so there was plenty of room. The crew is VERY pleasant and laid back, and rock and roll plays from the stereo. At the reef your fins and mask/snorkel are provided but if you need a wet suit it's $6 AU extra. Safety wasn't at the level I've seen on other boats (where you sign in and out) but with such a small group it was easy to keep tabs on everyone and I'm sure they did a head count before they left each reef. You can go on a guided tour or off on your own, and they provide noodles to float on if you want one. I did an independent snorkel and I could see one of the crew watching me at all times. Between snorkeling/diving they have a great lunch with chicken legs, salads (potato and pasta) deli meat, bread, and butter. There was plenty for all After the second dive they had a fruit plate for snacks, and on the way in they offered up wine and cheese. My suggestion is to bring some extra snacks/food because the ride in is 2 hours and it's after a day of diving so it's nice to have something besides cheese and crackers to hold you until dinner. As will all the dive operations, you must bring your own towels. It was a very enjoyable, laid back trip. The trade off for the small number of visitors is the 2 hour ride out to the reef, but even that was enjoyable just laying out in the sun. For a basic, value trip, it's hard to beat Reef Daytripper.

4  Thank M B