“Fishing with Capt. Tim”

and up
Cairns Estuary Fishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: `Fish Tales` Charters operator from Cairns in Far North Queensland, Australia. We offer Estuary Fishing, River Fishing and Bluewater Fishing. On all our charters we supply all top quality rods & reels, all bait & tackle, bottles of water and tea/coffee and our experienced fishing guide. All you need to bring is sunnies, hat, camera, sunscreen and a few beers are OK. Vessel One:River Rocket fishing guide: Barry include locations: Trinity Inlet(Estuary Fishing), Mulgrave and Russell Rivers. Vessel Two: Dont Know Fishing Guide: Darryl Locations: Trinity Inlet (Estuary Fishing)Bluewater (Inshore-Reef) Fishing from Cairns.
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fishing with Capt. Tim”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We came here from Miami, Florida where we are avid anglers looking for a good Australian guided charter. And we received one of the best charters we've ever been on. Tim picked us up from our apartment and took us back in the estuary for a day of backcountry fishing. My husband and I had our 4 & 5 yr old sons on the boat, and Tim was so awesome with guiding us and interacting with the boys. Most captains get impatient with little ones, but he was great with them, and gave us a great day on the water. I highly recommend this charter due to their professionalism, knowledge of the back country and easy going personality. We fought great fish, and had a good time. Thanks

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Heather T
FishTales01, Owner at Fish Tales Charters, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
Thank you Erik and Heather for choosing to come out with us for a full day of river fishing on The Mulgrave River/Russell River and Mutchero Inlet from Cairns. Timmy aka Wombat has asked me to let you know it was a pleasure to take you out on a charter to show you `our backyard`. When he gets to Florida he is going to look you up so you may show him `your backyard`.
Thank you taking a charter with us.
Darryl and Raewyn

Cairns, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome day with a great skipper and guide”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

After hearing about the knowledge and passion this company holds it wasn't a hard decision to get my self and friends out on this boat for the day. Our skipper wombat was a great teacher and knew the inlets and rivers like the back of his hands which made us feel like we were in the right hands. I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to barra fishing but timmy aka wombat filled me in on the do's and donts and it was happy fishing from then on in. I highly recommend this day to anyone, just make sure you pack a nice lunch to have out there.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank GlobalManagement
Thank you for your review.
Catching Barramundi is not always easy; at times they just don`t eat. However there are some simple rules to follow as well as talking to us first about your target species and when you wish to take a charter helps. Timmy aka Wombat spends the time in the mornings to get the right bait to help in your target species.
Thank you for coming out with us.
Darryl and Raewyn
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not worth the Money or Time”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our skipper Timmy was not a nice person, he didn't want to be there from the start. He was not helpful at all throughout the day. He took any potential fun out of the day, Timmy did everything himself we weren't allowed to touch the rods. He put the bait on, cast them out himself and yelled at us if we did touch the rods when the fish were biting. He even blamed us when the anchor he threw out wouldn't take hold properly. Overall a waste of money and a morning, and to top it off we didn't catch anything!

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Lu_Bon09
FishTales01, Owner at Fish Tales Charters, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your review.
We conduct our half day and full day Trinity Inlet, Cairns; these are tours in an estuary system. An estuary is a nursery to all the fish systems including supporting The Great Barrier Reef.
We have fish species that spend their whole entire lives in the estuary; we have other fish species that are born and immediately travel out to the reef to live; then we have fish species that are born and spend their juvenile years in the estuary & when they mature they travel out to the reef to live. Then we have some fish species that only enter the system to breed, then certain times of the year we have fish species that enter in for the food supply.
Approximately 20 years the charter fishing industry in Cairns changed the way they were live-bait fishing. Basically we wait until the fish hooks itself, instead of striking. The strike and catch rate increased over 50 %. The striking of the fish when there is only a nibble will only result in you pulling the bait out of fish`s mouth; showing a little patience’s, letting the fish hook themselves will produce results.
A fishing technique demonstration is always given showing the tip of the rod just moving (up to a couple of inches) is actually the live bait moving around; to a rod bending over to is a hooked fish, to which all you have to do is `bend and wind`
Sydney, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“They re-booked me through a different charter at the last minute!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I booked my fishing excursion with them about a month in advance & was looking forward to a great day out! My requested day, Wednesday, was full so was going to head out on Thursday. On Tuesday I was notified that the captain would be taking Thursday off for his birthday, and I could be re-booked onto another fishing charter. I felt a bit miffed as the Captain knew when his Birthday was, and should have kept the schedule open rather than change at the last minute. I didn't fish this boat, so my review only covers the reservation & service I recieved.

Visited September 2013
FishTales01, Owner at Fish Tales Charters, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you Dale, for your interesting review.
At the time of your booking you were advised that you where number one on the list, as we need three people to confirm with a maximum of 4 for our Bluewater (Reef) fishing charter.
You had called three days before your booking date to which, I was unable to confirm a start; as we had not received any other bookings.
I put forward to you an idea, to transfer to another vessel that was able to confirm a start, to which you agreed.
In all the discussion with you, you made it quite clear you were keen and eager to go reef fishing. This is why I put before the idea-to ensure you actually go fishing. To add to this we received no other bookings on the date in question; you would have received a phone call from me to cancel your booking.
Darryl & Raewyn
Owner/operator of `Fish Tales` Charters
Cairns, Australia
“great day out”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

great day out reef fishing... didnt catch too many big ones they just were not biting(which is part of fishing) but the weather was great and darryl was a great guide and bloke. best thing about it is. they only take 4 people out there. so no tangled lines and plenty of room.highly recommended will be doing it again.

Visited September 2013