“Exceeded all of our expectations!”

North Bar and Kitchen
Ranked #106 of 622 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Ultimate waterfront dining experience North Bar and Kitchen located on the boardwalk at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, offers a relaxed waterfront dining experience. Savour the creative dishes on offer for lunch and dinner, while you enjoy the cool breezes from Trinity Inlet. North Garden also offers the perfect location to watch dusk settle over the Marina and the lush rainforest clad mountain range.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband brought me to North Food and Wine for an early birthday dinner and we were thoroughly impressed. We have been trying out various restaurants with the entertainment book, having moved to Cairns a year ago and this stood out amongst the crowd as being exceptional for both its food and service.

The service was friendly, professional and made us feel incredibly welcome and we were impressed with the wine recommendation made by the waiter. Having dined at a few other restaurants we have been less than impressed by a few so it was great to know that you could find excellent service.

And then we get to the food - wow! I ordered the pork belly, while my Husband enjoyed the eye fillet. Both were cooked to perfection, each bite a delight to the senses and attention given to detail with each element, needless to say we were left feeling satisfied and already discussing what a great place it would be to bring family and friends who come to visit.

We will be back and recommending this restaurant to anyone wanting an impressive dining experience!

1  Thank AllieBobA
There are newer reviews for North Bar and Kitchen

Reviewed July 10, 2013

From first enquiry to the ring being placed on an ice sculpture the service, food, wine and the service were beyond anything we expected. Particularly like to thank the lovely illie and perpetually happy Darren for making this a memory forever perfect. Words cant express how happy and thankful we are for their efforts and recommend anyone thinking of doing something similar, just give Illie a call :)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was extremely disappointed and also frustrated at the lack of service, lack of food and lack of care about any of the above! We were greeted by a staff member who had food/water stains all over the front of her shirt. We were told it would be $24pp which I thought was a little steep however I was told there was a huge range to choose from.

I walked up to get some pretty basic breakfast foods such as bacon and eggs and there were none. The juice was empty along with the water. We spoke to a woman who appeared to be the floor manager, and the care factor was non existent.

Finally the food came out and clearly there were other people who had been waiting as everyone all of a sudden rushed to get a share. If you are running a buffet, the idea is to keep an eye on how low the food is getting and work on replacing it before there is none left.

To top it off, the special of the day was pancakes. You had to line up and wait for the pancakes to come out or you would miss out. I saw people standing and waiting for up to fifteen minutes.

The only upside of this experience was that the two children we had with us ate for free....eventually. To top it off, we had waiters leaning over the top of us to grab empty plates off the table without so much as an excuse me. I will not be returning.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was my first trip overseas so naturally I was looking for good food and service and that's what I definitely got. To anyone going overseas and wanting good cuisine North Food and Wine is the place to be. Service by Illy and Colette was amazing. These two ladies know their stuff. The crocodile spring rolls very tasty and unqiue. I couldn't stop eating them lol. I'm a big fish lover so when I ordered the salmon my mouth melted. Very good and cooked perfect. All in all from the service to food it made my first overseas trip a very good and memorable one and I am defintely coming back. :) I highly recommend to go to this restaurant and enjoy and explore great food and great service.

1  Thank Traveldu
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The crocodile spring rolls was an excellent choice to start us off. Right amount of portioning for 2 people. The kids were presented with a well presented fish n chips which didnt take too long for them to polish off the plate. They really enjoyed it. Our main course was the Signature Dish the seafood tower. Well presented, fresh food and value for money. The service was fantastic! Of high standard in my opinion. Not too much but very attentive with a witty touch by the fellow kiwi waitress. Would definitely return and recommend to any travellers with kids. All staff seemed very helpful and very welcoming. Kids really impressed with the little colouring books and balloons to keep them occupied.

1  Thank Tammy W